The Edge/U2 and UAFX pedals

Does he not like the Axe’s AC30 models? I know there’s some high end scratchiness that Cliff mentioned about the AC30 HW model in the Fractal, so maybe They could borrow Edges to model? How cool would that be!?

Edge has Axe FX 2s, so I wonder if it's just a case of the models on those old units just not being right for him. Or it could just be the HW head that's modelled in the Axe isn't right for him. I know I've struggled with it.

Edge has Axe FX 2s, so I wonder if it's just a case of the models on those old units just not being right for him. Or it could just be the HW head that's modelled in the Axe isn't right for him. I know I've struggled with it.
Oh, I thought he was using the 3 now?

His touring amp has been a modified HW. And he used the fractal model on Jimmy Kimmel. So I don’t think it’s a matter of the fractal model being “inadequate”. It comes down to wanting to keep the same 5 amp, huge rack rig setup but not being able to use amps at the Sphere. He’d rather dedicate a single unit to just 1 task instead of having 1 multi fx do multiple things. And he for whatever reason, he chose 5 UA pedals to replace the amps instead of 5 additional fractals.

I know I’m pretty happy with my tweaked axe AC30 block.

Last edited:
His touring amp has been a modified HW. And he used the fractal model on Jimmy Kimmel. So I don’t think it’s a matter of the fractal model being “inadequate”. It comes down to wanting to keep the same 5 amp, huge rack rig setup but not being able to use amps at the Sphere. He’d rather dedicate a single unit to just 1 task instead of having 1 multi fx do multiple things. And he for whatever reason, he chose 5 UA pedals to replace the amps instead of 5 additional fractals.

I know I’m pretty happy with my tweaked axe AC30 block.
What tweaks do you make to the ac30?

What tweaks do you make to the ac30?
It depends on what the person wants to hear. For me, always turn off the bright cap/set to 0. The stock HW circuit is mostly true to the originals but has a bit too much bass so that comes down. Mids i dont touch. Treble depends how i feel. These are just the basic mods. Theres a whole rabbit whole of things you can do to match an amp

Has anybody integrated these pedals into the Axe-FX III via FX-Loops and does that work well? That’s what I’m planning to do…

Last edited:
Has anybody integrated these pedals into the Axe-FX III via FX-Loops and does that work well? That’s what I’m planning to do…
You’re asking a community of fractal lovers if we’ve bothered connecting pedals that emulate amps we’ve had modeled for years. Have you actually tried the pedals and deemed it worth the time integrating them into the fractal? I’ve tried them and I didn’t think they were better than my Fractal. It would work but if you’re trying to copy the Edge exact, the proper way would be to not use the fx loop.

You’re asking a community of fractal lovers if we’ve bothered connecting pedals that emulate amps we’ve had modeled for years. Have you actually tried the pedals and deemed it worth the time integrating them into the fractal? I’ve tried them and I didn’t think they were better than my Fractal. It would work but if you’re trying to copy the Edge exact, the proper way would be to not use the fx loop.
As someone who uses only 2 amp types (out of approx. 300) for live-shows (Vox AC-30 and Fender Tweed Deluxe) I am asking the simple question, if the UAFX Vox and Fender emulations are „better sounding“ than the Fractals. Maybe a dedicated pedal, that emulates only 1 amp, is able to do this in a better way than a unit that emulates 300. For me in the end what sounds best wins, but I guess I‘ll have to try the pedals and find out myself…:)

Last edited:
It’s been mentioned already but also worth pointing out that Edge is most probably comparing the UAD models to Axe FX II. Some of the models can sound better with never amp modeling. No idea how much work has gone to his Axe FX II presets, but using 3 different pedal size amp models that ’sound good’ is a lot easier compared to upgrading and using the FX III and having to rework all his presets. Makes sense if you don’t want to sit down and build your sound from scratch yet again.

Adding to that he can also adjust amp settings with physical knobs if that’s something he likes doing. Sounds like a compromise to me.

Last edited:
I compared the pedals to our amp models. I found the pedals didn't sound as good, have excessive aliasing and a pronounced high-end rolloff on the input. Obviously I'm biased so you should form your own opinions.
Would you say the current HW ac30 top boost in the Axe fx is close in tone to a vintage AC30 like edge uses? Are there major differences?

Would you say the current HW ac30 top boost in the Axe fx is close in tone to a vintage AC30 like edge uses? Are there major differences?
You really need to try different IR’s with the ac30. Makes the biggest difference - more than playing with settings. I’ve bought a number from different vendors and have my favorites, but I gotta tell you I’m liking the dynacab a lot - playing with different mic placements. And I don’t really like his sphere sound for the anthem songs which are typically guitar into a delay into his amp. It sounds too clean. The raspiness of his old ac30 just isn’t there.

Last edited:
Actually it’s not. Well, not a complete secret. A guy who worked on the mods posted on here a few years ago. From memory the biggest mod was changing out the transformer. I will try to find the post.
Now I remember. It wasn’t on here. This is from a vox forum…..

Posted by Michael Dumond
I have a schematic and specs of the original Vox 1 when i was working with Vox to build him a backup amp for the 360 tour. We used an ac30cc2x back then as a base and tweaked it to his specs which is pretty much similar to his more recent Vox 1 replacement which he uses now. The reason why his Vox 1 sounds different from other 60s is because his isn't a early 60s, its a 1969 model which sounds different from the early ones. The cabinet is the original cabinet that came with the amp. In the 360 tour backup, we used a MM transformer, changed some resistor values, speaker recone to vintage spec (cc2x came with Chinese blues), and added the mid knob per his request to adjust mid eq. In all honesty, his amps are definitely modded, but nothing too different than what you can buy off the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom