The Edge/U2 and UAFX pedals

Can you please elaborate? Is it a volume issue, stage space or something? No idea how sound setup in Sphere works - I'd think something big like this would have a dedicated iso-room or something :)

He has 4 Axes in a rack, hard to think of a reason why it can't be achieved with four FX3 each having two amp blocks with 4 channels which can be switched gaplessly.

I'm guessing here but Matt/Cooper/other FAS guys could probably match those sounds on FX3 with 99% accuracy at least, no?
You’re right that this rig could be simplified - we all see that. I think you’re missing the simple point that was being made - his rig evolved into what it is now. I suspect that simplifying it is actually a considerable amount of work. And to what end? To save 6 rack spaces and a pedal tray? Remember he’s still going to have at least two of everything for redundancy.

Personally, I think it was smart to grab a bunch of UA pedals to sit in place of his real amps so he can go back and forth and still have about the same hands-on experience and not have to change any programming.

Can you please elaborate? Is it a volume issue, stage space or something? No idea how sound setup in Sphere works - I'd think something big like this would have a dedicated iso-room or something :)

He has 4 Axes in a rack, hard to think of a reason why it can't be achieved with four FX3 each having two amp blocks with 4 channels which can be switched gaplessly.

I'm guessing here but Matt/Cooper/other FAS guys could probably match those sounds on FX3 with 99% accuracy at least, no?
The drummer had a plexi glass cage around him. They tried to make the stage silent as possible to not interfere with the PA. As for the FX3 vs amps/pedals, he wants the ability to switch any of the amps and individual effects at will if he ever gets "inspiration". He uses presets and rarely makes changes "on the fly" but he always wants that control to do so.

'I'm guessing here but Matt/Cooper/other FAS guys could probably match those sounds on FX3 with 99% accuracy at least, no?"
If it ain't broken, it doesn't need to be fixed. Edge is still using quantum firmware on some of those axe mk2s. He's happy with the sounds he has. He does own a FM3, fm9 and AXE MKIII at his home however.

The drummer had a plexi glass cage around him. They tried to make the stage silent as possible to not interfere with the PA.
I unfortunately didn’t get to see a show, but it’s my understanding there are speakers in the seats as well. So keeping the stage silent, makes a lot of sense. If I recall, the plexiglass around the drums was also there to prevent the sound from the drums reaching the people in the audience, especially at the back, after the sound they hear in the speakers.

[Edit]

Here’s a snippet from the article I read.

‘During production rehearsals at Sphere prior to opening night, it became apparent that the difference in arrival times between the drums—the only onstage sound source apart from the vocals—and the proscenium arrays to the standing audience was going to be a problem. Veteran producer Steve Lillywhite, who consulted on the Sphere show, at one point found himself in front of the stage and observed, “In what we call Act Two, where they do ‘Desire’ and ‘Angel of Harlem’ with acoustic guitars, I could hear the drums before they came out of the P.A.”’

https://www.mixonline.com/live-sound/venues/mixing-u2s-mighty-sound-within-the-sphere

Last edited:
Has anybody compared the new „Class-A 30W Brilliant Amp“ model in Firmware 25.00 to the UA Ruby? To me the TB (handwired) model in the Axe sounds less chimey/brilliant now than before the update (I wonder why), making it obvious to switch to the new Brilliant model. What do you think? Could it be that the addition of this model was a reaction to the discussion here? :)

Last edited:
Has anybody compared the new „Class-A 30W Brilliant Amp“ model in Firmware 25.00 to the UA Ruby? To me the TB (handwired) model in the Axe sounds less chimey/brilliant now than before the update (I wonder why), making it obvious to switch to the new Brilliant model. What do you think? Could it be that the addition of this model was a reaction to the discussion here? :)
Yes I have. I borrowed the Ruby from a friend today and put it up against my FM3 with York Audio Blue IRs and also up against my AC30Cc2 head into the Boss Waza TAE with the same IRs. The fractal sounds almost the same as my amp. Very Close. IMHO the Ruby doesn’t sound as good. It is a good sound but I find it a little brittle and just not as enjoyable to play. I spent a fair amount of time trying the different amp and speaker variation’s whilst trying to dial out the brittle top end with the cut control. I think I prefer York Audio IRs to the UA speaker simulation’s. I had a similar experience when I got a hold of the UA dream pedal. Much prefer my amp with the fractal coming in a very close 2nd.

Bless him, but damn. I don't know why anyone would bother? Cool in some regards and insane in other. Hey he likes it and he can afford Dallas to run things, so who am I?
He’s chasing the tone he hears in his head like the rest of us. Most people wouldn’t notice. And he’s got money and help like you said. I didn’t see them on this tour, but I agree with a couple posts above in that I thought his anthem song tone (streets, etc) didn’t sound as good as past tours (based on recordings). If anyone here saw them live I’d be interested in your take.

He never uses more than 2 amps at the same time in the 5 amp setup. The Harvard was the least used amp and really could have been substituted and no one would notice. (And that’s what happened at sphere) . Fender Deluxe #2 is also an amp used for very specific parts and is ran clean - very rarely used on its own.

Did anyone here or anywhere online suspect a change in “zoo station” when he added the Lion? Nope. All of this is mostly for Edges own enjoyment. You really can get away with 1 Vox and 1 Tweed deluxe for all the U2 stuff.

the short encore where all the electric hits were definitely sounded “less good” than previous to my ears. Vertigo sounded awful and I blame the Woodrow. The channels are permanently jumpered together and the “amp” is the only thing that’s changed since the last tour.

“Even better” the high HZ on the whammy was much higher than ever before and is easily noticeable. I’m also still suspicious of how it was done since Dallas was not doing the whammy and neither was Edge.

“One” sounded great but he’s been using Axe Fx 2 amps for that song since 2015. The Sphere preset appears to be the same.

You’ll also notice he didn’t use his custom sustainer for with or without you. The EOB Strat is great but it’s not the right sound for that song. I also think Ultraviolet sounded better on the Fernandes (360 tour) and the explorer back in the 90s.

Streets was dirty and awfully bright in person.

Not once at the show did I think “his tone is different, my nights ruined”. I had an amazing time. But definitely not his best tones ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom