The Edge/U2 and UAFX pedals

Ernie Echo

It seems that the Edge/U2 uses the Universal Audio pedals Ruby (VoxAC30), Woodrow (Fender Tweed Deluxe) and Dream (Deluxe Reverb) for the current Sphere shows in Las Vegas. I just wonder why he doesn’t use the Fractal models, as he apparently still has some Axe FX units in his rack. Has anyone tried these UA-pedals and how do they compare to the Axe models?

So a grainy photo with a red circle from UG article is proof? I wouldn't read into that article too much.

Most likely to be able to ad in some more amps and not be limited to only 2 amps in the Fractal. But he could also use 3 Axe FX units to achieve his usual 5 amps setup…

Last edited:
We don't know what he's using these for or if they replace his amps, but you never know. You'd have to watch his pedalboard during the show to see if the loop lights up. Or Dallas could spill the beans.

Until we have more information we can't confirm how they are used.

Who says he doesn't use Fractal models?

As far as I can tell he used the fractal sims for big distortion sounds like Zoo Station and Beautiful Day, but I thought he used real amps for most of the sounds, at least on the last couple of tours.

But he’s also using his Fractal for some amps too: “I'm using UA Ruby, Dream and Woodrow amp pedals with some Fractal Axe-FX units handling additional amp emulation and FX.”
Happy he didn’t forget the FAS shoutout.

Nice to see he's got the fractal shimmer sitting right in the center of his main board. Goes nicely with the 2290 delay beside it.

Just curious which shimmer the Edge has chosen to use from the FAS blocks? There are so many.... I figure some variation of crystals.

Nice to see he's got the fractal shimmer sitting right in the center of his main board. Goes nicely with the 2290 delay beside it.

Just curious which shimmer the Edge has chosen to use from the FAS blocks? There are so many.... I figure some variation of crystals.
His shimmer unit it setup so it’s just a pitch block on the plex shift setting. He doesn’t touch any other default shimmer options.

He’s been using FAS amps since 2014 live. This isn’t really a revolutionary change or anything. If you think about it, he’s just using these as temporary silent substitutions for his real amps. He could’ve used 5 FM3s instead, each one replacing an amp. But i guess he went with UA for whatever reason.

Reactions: Rex
Does he not like the Axe’s AC30 models? I know there’s some high end scratchiness that Cliff mentioned about the AC30 HW model in the Fractal, so maybe They could borrow Edges to model? How cool would that be!?

Back
Top Bottom