The aX8-Mann cometh! Pics, video & audio review

Here's a quick video clip of the AX8 directly into a pair of Freirdman ASM-12 powered FRFR speaker cabinets.

This preset is a slightly X-Modified Fremen "Petrucci Alive Lead" rig w/ some phaser added.

The amp model is the USA IIC+ &.......It's just a total blast to play around with it. \m/

Warning: Don't look directly into my "Wah Face", or you could be scared for life! :eek:

Have a very Rocking Sunday boyz!

X

So the preset used in this clip took a 3% dip or cut in CPU usage after updating to the new Quantum 4.0 firmware.

It feels very good & is very touch responsive. The dynamics of even a high gain preset still come through & the volume roll back is just like a real tube amp.....

I'm just standing in Studio-X & playing riffs & licks on a rainy day in Detroit kids!!!!

Long live "The Quantum"!!!!! \m/

& here's some "X-ruption" with the same rig as up above, but on the 4.0 bro! :p

X

PS - I got blisters on me fingers!!!!

Hey, hey boys......

I hope you all had a terrific turkey day this year.

I just want to close out "Tone Quest" AX8 thread here & say that I'm in heaven w/ all that Fractal Audio has to offer me product wise. The AX8 is a true stand-out.....& it lead me down the rabbit hole & showed me that I'm a Friedman Amps guy.......SO..... I bought an actual Friedman amp just to test out for myself........That lead to trying out the FX8.......& now I have 2-killer rigs.

Knowing what companies really work well for me has helped me play more & sound better doing it.

Here's a link to my FX8 journey & 4-new live gig videos of it in action.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...x8-mkii-xs-journey.120464/page-2#post-1447146

I've also got more AX8 content coming too.......

Sorry I'm not on the forum more, but I do truly love this place.....

Here's a new guitar build that Jeff Kiesel just finished for me & I'm calling it "Gravity Storm X".....

83852BDF-4CE9-4C62-A844-24B30C232A76_zpscupnj8vb.jpg

& remember, it doesn't matter if your playing covers or writing originals as long as your Rocking out with Fractal Audio Systems in your rig.

Peace! X

Hey guys,

X here & I've really been having a great time w/ the AX8. I've also been reading all of your posts & learning from everyone here.

Thank you guys for sharing what you've learned here so we can all benefit & make better AX8 presets.

I plan on using this thread as a place where I can share my tones, videos & presets.

I'll be posting a new AX8 video every Monday morning if all goes as planned.

For now....I have a tour of Studio-X & a gear walk through. In this non-playing video I just go over my music dojo, Fractal revelation, Kiesel guitar collection & some other randome thoughts on life & guitar playing. It's a long video, but it's filled w/ funny sound fX & my music & humor.

The very opening clean progression is the AX8....& then the other 2-songs are the AXE FX II, followed by the 11-Rack.

Welcome to Studio-X!!!!

I'm in love with the quality of the AX8......& have fallen in love w/ the JS410 amp.

Chicken Pickin X Style w/ the JS410....

I've been running all kinds of tests & finding the AX8 amps that work the best for me.

I also did a lot of research for my AX8 case & or pedal board rig too. The case page here was of great help to me too.

I ended up w/ a Trailer Trash Flat Trash board & ATA Case.

& I've been building my cover band rigs at very LOUD gig volumes through a dual stereo Friedman ASM-12 set up as shown in my gear walk through.

The quality of the amps, cabs & FX are just jaw dropping & like nothing I've heard in another product or brand yet.

I understand the AX8 layout, scenes & a lot more now.....but I still prefer the AX8 edit for editing my presets.

I'm also recording a brand new instrumental for iTunes w/ AX8 tones only. I'm using the Double Verb, Dirty Shirley & HBE so far.

I'm using the SPDIF & going through my Axe Fx II just use the USB capability Into my Mac & Presonus Studio one 3.

I also picked up another Kiesel guitar & you'll see this in action very soon.

More later & thanks again for sharing so much w/ me & everyone here. I truly appreciate you guys!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I'm SO proud to be in Team Fractal & here to help in any way that I can.

Hey man, great vids as always. Curious about the Trailer Trash board you're using. Is that the 24"x12" board with ATA case? How do you secure the AX8 to it? Velcro??

Thanks,
Tim

Hey man, great vids as always. Curious about the Trailer Trash board you're using. Is that the 24"x12" board with ATA case? How do you secure the AX8 to it? Velcro??

Thanks,
Tim
Hey TimMcG1011......(Great name)

I took the rubber feet off of my AX8 & used the smaller screws that you can get from Fractal. This is done to get it lower to the actual surface so that the Velcro will touch. Then I bought some industrial velcro & boom......Done!!!!

But...............

On my FX8....I never did this to it at all. I have played 2-gigs & didn't fasten it at all & had no issues.

The foam pad that I got when purchasing the TT Board keeps everything in place when I move the board from point "A" to point "B".

Wait till you hear the FX8 "Clyde" wah clip I've got from this gig too! #aintitfun \m/

Yes, this is the Trailer Flat Trash 12x24 board and ATA case.

X

Last edited:
Thanks man! I'll give it a try. Been transporting my Ax8 in a pretty durable leather case, but would prefer an ATA case.

Been using the JS410 amp a LOT since you first turned me on to it. Def. one of the best sounding amps in there and that's saying something.

Thanks man! I'll give it a try. Been transporting my Ax8 in a pretty durable leather case, but would prefer an ATA case.

Been using the JS410 amp a LOT since you first turned me on to it. Def. one of the best sounding amps in there and that's saying something.
Yea, the JS410 is still my main AX8 amp too!

The only downside of the ATA case is the height........it's 2" too tall...........but that's all that they make. It's great for protecting the FX8 or AX8 & fits 1-expression pedal as shown in my pics.

Good luck & Peace! X

Hey guys......Long time no AX8 talk.....& well....I want to get a little "Heavy" here.....& say........

.....The AX8 just plain ROCKS!!!! \m/

it's Total BEAST of a piece of modeling gear & technology.

I'm learning a bunch of new songs right now due to joining a 2nd (Heavier) band (pun intended) & took a really good look at my presets & previous rigs.

I noticed (after a tip from our boy Craiginshred) that I had my "Master" set pretty high & if it was a real amp, I'd be deaf!!!! What? :eek:

So I started all over & tried a new 2x12 V30 loaded IR from the Fremen collection & played with the relationship of my channel volume to Master volume.

The resulting "Heavy" clip by Collective Soul is the result.

I've also been turned onto an AMAZING app called "AnyTune Pro+" & you load a song & can slow it down, loop a section of music to work on & keep the pitch the exact same!!! You can also raise the pitch of songs done in Eb too. Just an FYI for you cool cats!!!!

Is anyone here going to the Winter NAMM show next week? If you guys want to meet-up at the Larry Mitchell show on Thursday night let me know....

X

Last edited:
Hey boyz......

I've been using my AX8 a lot lately & re-tweaking my presets that I originally made when 1st got this unit.

I've lowered all the masters now that I see how high I had them set.

I've been doing a lot of late night learning & practicing for a new gig.....& even sharing song sections & mini-lessons with my other guitar player.

Here's a quick clip of me working on the solo to ACDC's T.N.T. Solo.....& well......at least I got the end shake down now......

This next one is from the White Zombie song "Thunder Kiss 65" & guitar #1 in the chorus section.

I still can't get over the AX8 & the high quality tones & FX it provides!

I hope you are all doing well, enjoying your Fractal gear......& having a nice weeken!

Peace! X \m/

The Q7 upgrade has been totally awesome!!!

Here's my new "Legacy-3" preset & a tone test for some new pickups in my Kiesel Greg Howe guitar......

Happy Sunday Fun Day everyone!!!!

X

Back
Top Bottom