The aX8-Mann cometh! Pics, video & audio review

Hey Ralph K, thanks brolo!!!!

In the 1st JS410 Orange & Red amp clips I was using a purchased Own Hamer cabinet.

It's a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab w/ 2-mics mixed together.

I was trying to get a gd tone with the js since i also own the real amp and i wanted to duplicate the sound but its way too boomy and bassy... i tried the 75 marshall cab since thats the cab that ships with the real thing but i havent been lucky so far... did u cut the bass on that thing ?

I was trying to get a gd tone with the js since i also own the real amp and i wanted to duplicate the sound but its way too boomy and bassy... i tried the 75 marshall cab since thats the cab that ships with the real thing but i havent been lucky so far... did u cut the bass on that thing ?
I like a brighter tone live & lean toward cab IR's that are NOT bass heavy. The Own Hammer Mesa 4x12's are all bright & tight.......& The Cab IR's that come in the purchased Fremen pack are just STELLAR (for me).......& there's a JS410 cab in there too! I've been using that one a lot live.

I try not to cut a lot & look for IR's that are 95% of the way there right from the very start. I really just turn a lot of knobs until I find a tone that moves me.......Then I take a video for reviewing later on & screen shots of the cab & amp settings too...& save the new preset off & test them out live.

I wish you nothing but luck & since I don't actually own ANY of these amp models.......well...........I have no idea if I'm even close to the real thing. I actually don't even care about that either.....& I'm always just trying to find the BEST version of the Hot Rod Marshall tone that I hear in my head.

Peace! X

I like a brighter tone live & lean toward cab IR's that are NOT bass heavy. The Own Hammer Mesa 4x12's are all bright & tight.......& The Cab IR's that come in the purchased Fremen pack are just STELLAR (for me).......& there's a JS410 cab in there too! I've been using that one a lot live.

I try not to cut a lot & look for IR's that are 95% of the way there right from the very start. I really just turn a lot of knobs until I find a tone that moves me.......Then I take a video for reviewing later on & screen shots of the cab & amp settings too...& save the new preset off & test them out live.

I wish you nothing but luck & since I don't actually own ANY of these amp models.......well...........I have no idea if I'm even close to the real thing. I actually don't even care about that either.....& I'm always just trying to find the BEST version of the Hot Rod Marshall tone that I hear in my head.

Peace! X
The js410 cab comes with the fremen or the ownhammer pack ?

The js410 cab comes with the fremen or the ownhammer pack ?
There is a JS410 cab IR in the Fremen preset pack & it's just fantastic........but I have no idea if it was made from an actual JS410 cabinet. I assume it was, but have no clue in the end. The Fremen presets are great for many reasons & for just looking at some of the routing & FX settings........but the Cab IR's that come with it are some pretty much all I use now.

Again......Good luck & Peace! X

There is a JS410 cab IR in the Fremen preset pack & it's just fantastic........but I have no idea if it was made from an actual JS410 cabinet. I assume it was, but have no clue in the end. The Fremen presets are great for many reasons & for just looking at some of the routing & FX settings........but the Cab IR's that come with it are some pretty much all I use now.

Again......Good luck & Peace! X
Thanks man... or Brolo :)

--CUT--

I think you are right on the money with this statement X. This is a key part of getting used to this little beast. You really need to detach from all your years of associating tones etc with a Brand Name / Model / Cab / Speaker etc. This is pretty hard to do but once achieved, you will find you are free to just go for that ideal tone regardless of whether it is a cranked lo-gain amp model or if it is the model of you current real world amp. I still struggle with this although I am getting better ... For instance, just the other night I matched the AC15 model with a Bogner 2x12 cab then put a drive in front of the amp and it sounded incredible. Real world - I never have used drives to get crunch as I have always had Marshall / Mesa. Fun times (albeit time consuming too)

Enjoy!

Hey guys,

X here & I've really been having a great time w/ the AX8. I've also been reading all of your posts & learning from everyone here.

Thank you guys for sharing what you've learned here so we can all benefit & make better AX8 presets.

I plan on using this thread as a place where I can share my tones, videos & presets.

I'll be posting a new AX8 video every Monday morning if all goes as planned.

For now....I have a tour of Studio-X & a gear walk through. In this non-playing video I just go over my music dojo, Fractal revelation, Kiesel guitar collection & some other randome thoughts on life & guitar playing. It's a long video, but it's filled w/ funny sound fX & my music & humor.

The very opening clean progression is the AX8....& then the other 2-songs are the AXE FX II, followed by the 11-Rack.

Welcome to Studio-X!!!!

I'm in love with the quality of the AX8......& have fallen in love w/ the JS410 amp.

Chicken Pickin X Style w/ the JS410....

I've been running all kinds of tests & finding the AX8 amps that work the best for me.

I also did a lot of research for my AX8 case & or pedal board rig too. The case page here was of great help to me too.

I ended up w/ a Trailer Trash Flat Trash board & ATA Case.

& I've been building my cover band rigs at very LOUD gig volumes through a dual stereo Friedman ASM-12 set up as shown in my gear walk through.

The quality of the amps, cabs & FX are just jaw dropping & like nothing I've heard in another product or brand yet.

I understand the AX8 layout, scenes & a lot more now.....but I still prefer the AX8 edit for editing my presets.

I'm also recording a brand new instrumental for iTunes w/ AX8 tones only. I'm using the Double Verb, Dirty Shirley & HBE so far.

I'm using the SPDIF & going through my Axe Fx II just use the USB capability Into my Mac & Presonus Studio one 3.

I also picked up another Kiesel guitar & you'll see this in action very soon.

More later & thanks again for sharing so much w/ me & everyone here. I truly appreciate you guys!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I'm SO proud to be in Team Fractal & here to help in any way that I can.

This rig looks so much as per what I am looking for myself except maybe one more expression pedal! Compact easy to transport all with awesome tone! Congratulations! I have a pair of FRFR wedges made by Xitone and a different guitars but the concept is spot on for me.

I think you are right on the money with this statement X. This is a key part of getting used to this little beast. You really need to detach from all your years of associating tones etc with a Brand Name / Model / Cab / Speaker etc. This is pretty hard to do but once achieved, you will find you are free to just go for that ideal tone regardless of whether it is a cranked lo-gain amp model or if it is the model of you current real world amp. I still struggle with this although I am getting better ... For instance, just the other night I matched the AC15 model with a Bogner 2x12 cab then put a drive in front of the amp and it sounded incredible. Real world - I never have used drives to get crunch as I have always had Marshall / Mesa. Fun times (albeit time consuming too)

Enjoy!
Yo Pete.........Thanks my Fractal Brother from an Australian mother!!!! :p

It's hard to NOT go the place in your head that tells you, "The Bogner, Friedman, Marshall, etc....etc...." amp should be perfect for me based on the name alone. :rolleyes: I still do it, but I've tried out some great amp models that I've never even heard of & been blown away. The cabinet IR's are such a HUGE factor for me........& your AC15 amp model w/ a Bogner 2x12 cab is a perfect example of mixing things up to get a great & usable tone.

I actually like to create & test out new amps, cabinets & tones to test out in my search for the perfect sound for what I do. This is a new thing for me & something I didn't do a lot of before.

The Fractal brand & AX8 platform is just perfect & only gets better as time passes & updates come our way.

Thanks for chiming in & have a great weekend buddy!

X

This rig looks so much as per what I am looking for myself except maybe one more expression pedal! Compact easy to transport all with awesome tone! Congratulations! I have a pair of FRFR wedges made by Xitone and a different guitars but the concept is spot on for me.
Hello Hattrick17, welcome to the forum & welcome to Fractal Audio & the AX8! ;)

The guys here are very helpful & the only thing you need to understand the AX8 & ALL of its great features is TIME. The more time you put into the unit & do things for yourself, the bigger & faster the payout will be for you.

Good luck building your "Dream Rig" & it sounds like you've got a great handle on it so far.:)

Peace! X-Mann:cool:

:) Yeah I am very excited to dive in both the AX8 and the Helix! I wish I would have ordered the Amplfire. I will only keep one unfortunately.

Was wondering where the JS410 IR come from with the Fremen packs? I just picked up the 2.0 pack with the Normal, did not see the JS410?

Also, looking through the post, did not see the size of the Trailer Trash board? Looking for the exact setup. Sorry if I missed it.

Was wondering where the JS410 IR come from with the Fremen packs? I just picked up the 2.0 pack with the Normal, did not see the JS410?

Also, looking through the post, did not see the size of the Trailer Trash board? Looking for the exact setup. Sorry if I missed it.

This is the cabinet I'm talking about & it pairs very well w/ the JS410 amp.

Joe's new amp is a modified JVM410 & this IR is the cabinet for that amp. It's also the suggested cabinet for the JS410 amp on Sweetwater sound.

I'll say it again....I have no idea where, what or how Fremen gets or creates his IR's, but they make a HUGE difference for me & my tones.

I love this IR & it's in my top 3 now too.

I went with the "Flattrash" board (24" x 12") & the ATA case for protection.

My goal was the smallest footprint that could also hold the EV-1 expression pedal too.

I'm VERY happy w/ it & got exactly what I paid for here.

Good luck.....

Peace! X

PS - Here's a video clip of the JS410 amp (Red Channel) w/ the Fremen Marshall JVM 410 cab IR......\m/

Last edited:
Hey my Fractal peeps......

I've been going crazy trying finish-up my 2nd iTunes release & 100% Fractal AX8 tune titled "Seeds of Karma".

Recording w/ the AX8 through its SPDIF output into my brand new Presonus Studio One 3 DAW has been an adventure all in itself too. Not always a great or fun adventure either since I'm relearning everything DAW wise....& was never very good to begin with on Pro Tools either.

I'm ALL thumbs on the technical side of recording & mixing, but still getting great results. I'll post up some samples next week & the tune will be done and released in the next week or so if all goes as planned.

I tend to use my threads as a way of documenting my progress & journey on the guitar. I'll also never be anything in the guitar world either, but I love to pretend & really enjoy all of the madness I've created along the way on my personal guitar journey.

So.....I love ALL aspects of CREATING........guitar music, videos, Instagram photos & guitar licks gone wild.....

I've been working w/ an on-line friend & he's a part time graphics designer.....& well......we've been creating a virtual "X-Mann" character for some iTunes artwork.

At 1st we tried to do it all w/ just photos........

& then these were used w/ 3D generated models of all of my Kiesel guitars......

Then we created "Shiva-X" & put all 3-guitars in & tried out different backgrounds......

Here's one of the concepts I like so far.......

The pictures wrapped around a different 3D model didn't workout very well.........So.....

We've now moved over to actually 3D scanning my oversized head w/ the 1234D app by autodesk.....The end results of that are actually frightening at times though! Holes in my head & an extra ear if I move too much.....#yikes

I'm really enjoying the creative process & love working w/ the Fractal AX8 as the core of my tones for late night recordings.

Ok.....Back to my day job now & out of the virtual modeling world for a bit......

Keep Rockin those magical AX8 boxes boyz......& I hope everyone is doing well.

Peace! X

PS - I'm one VERY HAPPY Fractal AX8 user to say the least!

Last edited:
Xmann! Mike from work here, ordered ax8 yesterday (currently at camp ground in Muskegon lol), delivery date is this Tuesday, totally stoked!!!!! May have to work from home so I can sit on the porch and stalk the UPS guy. Can't wait to compare to my ultra. Ok, back to jaming Bonamassa and drinking Bloody Mary's in the woods, Balrog out.

Xmann! Mike from work here, ordered ax8 yesterday (currently at camp ground in Muskegon lol), delivery date is this Tuesday, totally stoked!!!!! May have to work from home so I can sit on the porch and stalk the UPS guy. Can't wait to compare to my ultra. Ok, back to jaming Bonamassa and drinking Bloody Mary's in the woods, Balrog out.
Congrats Mike & I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger here man!

Enjoy your camping trip & Bloody Mary's in Muskegon, & yes, take Tuesday off for sure.

Peace! X

Here's a quick video clip of the AX8 directly into a pair of Freirdman ASM-12 powered FRFR speaker cabinets.

This preset is a slightly X-Modified Fremen "Petrucci Alive Lead" rig w/ some phaser added.

The amp model is the USA IIC+ &.......It's just a total blast to play around with it. \m/

Warning: Don't look directly into my "Wah Face", or you could be scared for life! :eek:

Have a very Rocking Sunday boyz!

X

JS410 cab IR in the Fremen preset pack & it's just fantastic.

For what it is worth... Fremen's pack also has i think like 5 "Plexi" cab IR's..... great for Live use.... help cut in the mix!!! so IMHO... the price Fremen ask is a deal just for the 5-Plexi IR's and the JS410 IR (I agree it is good) ... the preset are a bonus lol

Back
Top Bottom