The aX8-Mann cometh! Pics, video & audio review

I would prefer that you download and convert it yourself. It somehow feels wrong to upload other peoples preset. If @Burgs chimes in and says, it is OK I will do it.

Hello & welcome.....

The Friedman ASM-12's sound HUGE & are just Rock Solid & you can play low rhough them if needed. I do this, but prefer to play that at a semi to very loud level. They are heavy as hell & weigh-in at 51lbs. They are built at the same quality as a Mesa Boogie cabinet & look fantastic. These are not guitar cabinets though & definitely an FRFR system. The drivers have been changed & Dave license this design from another company, but does also build a new cabinet. While I strongly recommend them, I've owned no other FRFR system.....So.....Please take that into consideration. I bought them for the looks & price point 1st & lucked out that they work so well for me live. Then I bought a 2nd one & I'm in total stereo heaven!

Likewise on the Friedman ASM-12's I purchased them and have had them at 2 rehearsals. So far I am loving them. They sound great and have really taken my enjoyment to the next level compared to playing the AX8 through a tube power amp into a Marshall 1936 cab. There is no comparison for me. Keep on rockin'.

Likewise on the Friedman ASM-12's I purchased them and have had them at 2 rehearsals. So far I am loving them. They sound great and have really taken my enjoyment to the next level compared to playing the AX8 through a tube power amp into a Marshall 1936 cab. There is no comparison for me. Keep on rockin'.
Yea, they really add a great thump & push some air at full band gigs! I truly love everything about them....except for the weight, but I bought a Rock Cart. So....Um....Problem solved for now.

Again, there are many great options........& I'm sure I could make others work-out very well for me too.

Pete.....I do have a small tip for you brolo. I bought round stick on furniture pads that are pretty thick....& put them on the TOP side of the cabinets. I put them in all 4-corners & only had to move the one the goes by the "Friedman" logo off to the side a little bit. I did this because of the handle position on these cabinets. When you carry them, the show side of the cabinet is at the very bottom & that's where you set it down on the floor.

I did this to prevent any damage & it's worked very well for me. This is just a thought for you Pete & nothing more.

Peace! X

Yea, they really add a great thump & push some air at full band gigs! I truly love everything about them....except for the weight, but I bought a Rock Cart. So....Um....Problem solved for now.

Again, there are many great options........& I'm sure I could make others work-out very well for me too.

Pete.....I do have a small tip for you brolo. I bought round stick on furniture pads that are pretty thick....& put them on the TOP side of the cabinets. I put them in all 4-corners & only had to move the one the goes by the "Friedman" logo off to the side a little bit. I did this because of the handle position on these cabinets. When you carry them, the show side of the cabinet is at the very bottom & that's where you set it down on the floor.

I did this to prevent any damage & it's worked very well for me. This is just a thought for you Pete & nothing more.

Peace! X

Nice Ttip X-Mann. I might even have some of them around the house somewhere. You are spot on - the handle is a bit awkward and it encourages you to put that other side down first. They are heavy as all #@$% but I'm i'm finding the trade off between a weighty & awkward speaker is something I can live with ... as I get older and more frail I might change my mind :)tearsofjoy::weary::tearsofjoy:)

I rocked up to rehearsal with a band I joined recently and they introduced a new original into the mix. It was pretty rocky and I got a chance to have a crack at some lead over the last chorus. After we finished the song, they decided that my guit / amp sounded that good that they badgered the guy that wrote song and he eventually conceded to add another chorus for my to play over. I haven't had a lead tone that nice for years and years - if ever!

Cheers.

Hi everyone , I'll get tour to Seoul ( South Korea ) they have 220w , can I plug my AX8 to 220 ?
Well I live in Australia and we are 240V - works fine. The Manual Page ii "Important Safety Instructions" - Point Nbr 3 says to connect only to standard grounded AC outlet 110V - 240V - you should be good to go. You might just need to have a power adapter ie: your countries type of plug to their countries type of plug.

Well I live in Australia and we are 240V - works fine. The Manual Page ii "Important Safety Instructions" - Point Nbr 3 says to connect only to standard grounded AC outlet 110V - 240V - you should be good to go. You might just need to have a power adapter ie: your countries type of plug to their countries type of plug.
Thank a lot ))))

Hello & welcome.....

There are NO limitations to the AX8 unless you've already owned & used the Axe Fx II for years & years.....& took full advantage of ALL it has to offer w/ it's dual amps & loaded up your presets w/ everything but the kitchen sink.

The AX8 is just fantastic & I miss nothing at all from the big brother unit.

The goal in creating the AX8 was to give us the "Fractal Audio" quality & sound at a more affordable price range. The only way to do that was to remove the USB recording & dual amp models for the most part. That's what it took to bring the price down & for 90% of us, this was a great & needed thing.

Never listen to any one persons opinion on-line, do your own research , listen to clips, watch videos & then make your best educated guess. The only way to know for sure is to get (& learn) the unit in question in your hands & play it through your guitars & gear.

If you, me or anyone can't sound just stellar through the AX8.....well.....then....um....maybe a tube amp or refrigerator sized rack is needed in the end. Lol :eek::p

Understand that the only limitations on the AX8 come from the users understanding of the unit itself.

The amount of blocks you can load into one preset is incredible & what do you really need to sound good? You may need to run multiple presets & skip the scene thing, but that's not a big deal in my eyes at all. Using the lower CPU intensive reverbs fixes any maxing out of the unit & ALL units have a cap on how big a preset can get too. Don't be scared away by all the "limitation" talk.

I've had it for 2-months & I'm still learning new things & ways to make it work for me. It's a totally pro level unit on all levels & like all new products, it's being revised & made better w/ firmware updates & that will continue for years to come. We've already seen major updates that included all kinds of fixes, new amp models & better funtionality.

Good luck on your tone quest & get one of these killer Fractal units in your hands ASAP & test it out.

If money's NOT an issue & you have any concerns at all about the AX8, get the Axe Fx II XL+ & you'll never need to purchase another amp modeling device in your lifetime.

I try to look at guitar gear as follows. I'm NOT a single coil Strat guy at all, they just don't work for me at all. But, I know that some of the best players love them & some of my favorite guitar tones come from them. Modeling gear is no different & what one guy just loves & praises, another guy can dislike or even hate. I'm a mid-grade player who knows what works only when I try it out. Fractal works for me....& I've never been a deep tweaker in the past either. Fractal's amp selection & high quality FX make want to learn more & make me want to play more too.

Again, good luck & results may vary. o_O

Peace! X

The Friedman ASM-12's sound HUGE & are just Rock Solid & you can play low rhough them if needed. I do this, but prefer to play that at a semi to very loud level. They are heavy as hell & weigh-in at 51lbs. They are built at the same quality as a Mesa Boogie cabinet & look fantastic. These are not guitar cabinets though & definitely an FRFR system. The drivers have been changed & Dave license this design from another company, but does also build a new cabinet. While I strongly recommend them, I've owned no other FRFR system.....So.....Please take that into consideration. I bought them for the looks & price point 1st & lucked out that they work so well for me live. Then I bought a 2nd one & I'm in total stereo heaven!

Hi Mann. I am thinking of switching from AXE FX 2 to AX8. You are right that you need to make a decision yourself, but I had a question, and for the record I have done research online, but you seem objective, so I will ask you if you don't mind sir

NOTE: I don't care about mixing cabinets, micing cabs, or mixing amps.
I just want the quality sound, and I want to use the AX8 for recording into my Logic Pro. ( I have an interface btw)

I have read several reviews about how if there is too much CPU usage, that the AX8 doesn't allow it. My question is this; Can you give me an example of how many blocks are the most one preset can take? In other words, if I have a preset with an amp, and cabinet, how many effects blocks can the AX8 easily handle?
Part of me wonders if I should just keep my AXE FX 2 and get an MFC 101, but the AX8 is way more convenient.

Of course this AX8 is first generation. I wonder how much better the next generation of AX8 will be

Your feedback is appreciated
Curt

Hi Mann. I am thinking of switching from AXE FX 2 to AX8. You are right that you need to make a decision yourself, but I had a question, and for the record I have done research online, but you seem objective, so I will ask you if you don't mind sir

NOTE: I don't care about mixing cabinets, micing cabs, or mixing amps.
I just want the quality sound, and I want to use the AX8 for recording into my Logic Pro. ( I have an interface btw)

I have read several reviews about how if there is too much CPU usage, that the AX8 doesn't allow it. My question is this; Can you give me an example of how many blocks are the most one preset can take? In other words, if I have a preset with an amp, and cabinet, how many effects blocks can the AX8 easily handle?
Part of me wonders if I should just keep my AXE FX 2 and get an MFC 101, but the AX8 is way more convenient.

Of course this AX8 is first generation. I wonder how much better the next generation of AX8 will be

Your feedback is appreciated
Curt
Sorry Curt, I'm really not the guy to ask this kind of stuff. I'm not an FX heavy guy & I think the easy answer is to just keep & use your Axe Fx II at this point. You are paying less for an AX8 & getting less in the long run. I wish you nothing but luck on your gear journey man!

Peace! X

Note: I record w/ the AX8 w/ no issues at all. Most of my rhythm presets only use 5 or 6 blocks though & my leads have even less since I record them as a dry amp only.

PS - PM me at any time, but I can't add much more then this..........Sorry!

Last edited:
X-Update:

So I've taken the AX8 out twice now for my full live rig w/ a local cover band called Bad Aim Detroit now.

The 1st gig was just "Ok" & I was only 50% of the way to where I needed & wanted to be. I knew that I had to just take it out & start using it to figure out what was & wasn't going to work.

How I ended-up configuring my AX8 presets was not at all what I thought I would be doing at the start of all of this. In the end, I'm 100% satisfied w/ the tones, switching & presets that I've created for playing out live now.

The Key: For me the key to getting my live rigs was starting & finding the basic amp tones I needed to cover 1st. I ended up w/ 4-basic amps & tones, the USA amp (w/ AC Booster for low gain tones), JS410 Orange w/ no drive for classic Marshall type tones & the Red Channel for leads & the Friedman HB for a different flavor & feel. I just added in the Triaxis Red channel as well for a few heavy songs & the Dirty Betty for "Summer of 69" (get it?).....

I've taken these basic Amps & found the right (3 to 5) cabs in total that work w/ these amps/tones that I'm going for.

I've created & saved off these different rigs over 30+ times now....& run 1-preset for each song. Each song named preset is set-up w/ only the FX needed to perform that song live. Each preset has between 1 & 4 scenes set-up based on that song alone. If a song opens with a lead, the scene #1 of that preset is that lead. If the 2nd sceneI needed is a stripped down classic dirty rhythm w/ a phaser for a verse then so be it.....& so on & so on. I ALWAYS work the scene order from left to right based on what happens in order of the song. Then I never get confused or even need to look down at all for the most part.

This type of set-up was key for me in understanding my AX8 & how to set my presets up for live use.

I use the top 4-buttons (5 thru 8) for (left to right) Drive, phaser (chorus or flange), delay & boost.

Some presets that only use 2-scenes get a pedal assigned to button #4 as well.

Any song preset that doesn't need wah or a specific block gets stripped out for CPU savings & switching.

Break through moment: After taking my AX8 rig out live w/ only moderate success the 1st time, I bought Fremen's AX8 presets. I've only loaded a small handful, but seeing the layout of his & then other users too really taught me everything I needed to know. I've copied blocks & tried all kinds of things that I never would have in the end. Plus I just understand my AX8 SO much better now.

I then went back & copied his Gate Block into ALL of my presets as well as the enhancer block at the end.

I use TWO Filter blocks in EVERY preset too! The volume boost only blocks are set to 1db boost (or less) & 3db for lead/solo tones.

The 3db boost is saved to a specific scene & not accessible from a foot switch during the song, but the 1db boost is always accessible.

I run my rig in Stereo & the enhancer makes the tone even bigger & wider on stage. I also run through the PA as well as a pair of Friedman ASM-12's. The sound is all spread out, full.....& HUGE, but not super directional....It feels very good no matter where you stand.

I used the VU meter w/ great success & all of my rigs have a level of between -14 to -20 db to keep enough headroom to use the boost blocks & not clip the output.

My guitars have similar PAF style pickups & I took the hotter (teal) guitar & used it to set the final levels.

Having the individual (song specific) presets has also helped in fine tuning the volumes & just very small changes like an effect set to ON or OFF & not changing every other rig along the way. Another BIG plus is the cutting & pasting of FX blocks. When I work on & discover a killer chorus, phaser or whatever...& it's really sounding good live.....I may update or add it to some of my other rigs. Some of my presets are the exact same except I've changed the scenes to just what I need for that specific song too.

I believe I'm now 90% of the way there now.....& really enjoying this little black box of magic! I've really put the needed time into understanding this Fractal product & it's paying off w/ some fun times for me now.

Peace! X

PS - I've completed my 1st ALL AX8 song titled "Seeds of Karma" & I'm just waiting for the final bass track from a friend of mine. I hope to share some of the tones & stories from this journey as well in the days & weeks to come. Rock out my Fractal brothers!!! \m/

Last edited:
Hey, hey my fellow AX8ers......Sup?

5-gigs in w/ the AX8 & all is going great! Every day I learn something new & I've been digging into some of the factory & user rigs to learn more tips & tricks.

Here's the Mark Day 80's preset that comes standard on the unit w/ only a few "X" changes. This is scene #2 w/ the pitch de-tune & I've added in the Clyde wah & changed the cab IR too.

It's amazing to me just how different a preset can sound based on pickups, guitar brand & well.....fingers & style.

Note: This is w/ the 4x12 Basketweave G12M25 IR & I did add the T808 pedal too.

This clip has the output of my AX8 at almost noon & that really is only around 28% of the actual AX8 output volume. This is also going through 2-Friedman ASM-12's in true stereo & just being recorded thru my iPhone.

Note: Go to the VR page & it will show you what the actual output number is & you may be surprised at what you see here. The sweep of this knob really changes after the high noon position.......& it's not very linear. The 1st 1/2 only gives you 30%, while the remaining gives you the other 70%. Just a thought........

Works been just killing me lately & I was blowing off some steam last night after walking my pups.....My wife (Mrs-X) was outside watering the flowers of our condo & came in & told me to "Knock it Off" (aka TURN IT DOWN). The clips would have been longer or there would be more of them if the "Fun Governor" hadn't killed the party. :eek::D

Have a very Rocking Taco Tuesday my peeps!!!!

X

PS - Oh yea, I should probably note that I've been really trying hard to develop a trem vibrato that I'm stealing from the amazing Prashant Answani. He makes it look so easy & it's just NOT. Lol

He's a HUGE ESP & Bogner amps guy, & one hell of a killer player.......& a really nice dude too.

Last edited:
Starting to worry Mrs X had shut you down permanently. Ha Ha. Cause if momma ain't happy, nobody happy.
Lol......All is good & I've been just crazy busy with my day job & cover band.

I plan to get lost in "All things AX8" this long holiday weekend when Mrs. X works on Saturday. :D

X

Great Vids! which cab did you use with the JVM JS?
Hey Ralph K, thanks brolo!!!!

In the 1st JS410 Orange & Red amp clips I was using a purchased Own Hamer cabinet.

It's a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab w/ 2-mics mixed together, but I also used the JVM 410 IR found in the Fremen presets pack too.

I'm a BIG fan of a handful of KILLER cabinet IR's.

Factory (Inside the AX8):
4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M25
4x12 5153 MIX #1
4x12 MAR-CB H-PR-55 MIX (OH)
2X12 BOUTIQUE

Purchased - Own Hamer:
Mesa 4x12's & 2x12's
Bogner 4x12 T75 MDRN-04

The IR's that I use the most are ALL created & purchased from Fremen though.

Marshall JVM 410 4x12
Marshall Brite
Recto 3
Egnater MTS
1987 Marshall

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom