That "Just a Girl" effect

Chris6870

Does anybody have a patch for the effect used on No Doubt's Just a Girl? I used to be able to nail it on my line 6 M13 using the Tron Up effect. I would hate to drag that thing around for one song.

I believe it's an envelope filter on a synth, as in keyboard. As a guess, I'd say maybe a ring modulator or synth block into a filter block (peaking with frequency controlled by envelope). Simeon is the synth block Jedi. I bet he could nail it.

it's apparently from a Jupiter 8 keyboard. you can hear how distinctly different it is in this live performance:

I never bothered to do anything special when we used to do that tune. I just used my wah and would sweep it manually fairly slowly. We played way too many different tunes to obsess over nailing every sound effect 100%.

I never bothered to do anything special when we used to do that tune. I just used my wah and would sweep it manually fairly slowly. We played way too many different tunes to obsess over nailing every sound effect 100%.

Since I got my AX8 and started reading these forums, I've been kinda surprised at the amount of effort that people put into getting tones and effects 100% for cover songs. Nothing wrong with that, but I've never been interested in sounding "exactly" like someone else.

+1

But I've never been in a tribute band.

Our covers are never precise to the studio recordings.

I was in a Stones tribute band for years. We never tried to sound like the studio recordings because the Stones never did either. That approach obviously wouldn't apply to a lot of other bands.

When I was doing the Duran Duran tribute we modeled our sound off their live sounds. That's the only time I've ever tried to really be super precise about my tones. My Axe-Fx Standard made it super do-able!

When I was doing the Duran Duran tribute we modeled our sound off their live sounds. That's the only time I've ever tried to really be super precise about my tones. My Axe-Fx Standard made it super do-able!

I saw those guys earlier this year. They were good live. John Taylor is a great bass player.

I saw those guys earlier this year. They were good live. John Taylor is a great bass player.
Yea, caught them last year when they hit The Greek Theater. I think John Taylor has a painting of himself some place that's slowly aging. :D

Here's what I'm using... claiming "in the style of" would be far fetched so take it for what it is

I just use scene #1 these days and rest be damned

Used to use the wah for the effect the Jupiter provided, don't anymore but maybe you could tweak back to life... ATM sounds like donkey dung

Good luck

Attachments

• JustAGirl.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom