Tap tempo issues

Thanks Guys,

I think in a round about way we got there...

Chris, Apologies for the confusion on this one, please bear in mind that most people that are unfamiliar or new to the Axe fx Average setting will expect it to work like a conventional tap tempo. The reason I said I pressed it twice was because in my mind there should only be a two step process on/off Step 3 in my mind is actually equivalent to step 1. until you outlined this in your last post.

This is why I asked how it worked many posts back.

Also I would recommend changing the default setting from Average to 2 tap in factory settings as most players would expect a tap tempo to work in this fashion and not taking an average as this is very unconventional for a tap tempo. Most units such as Boss Strymon etc do not operate in this way.

Thanks for the time tho, you learn something everyday!

:)

There is always a tempo; always a BPM. Tapping once doesn't "activate" it. It just displays it.
Hmm. You know, I'd like a chart with the two options displayed over ~10 taps, done by @Admin M@ or someone. I don't have a clear picture of how current tempo and two-tap or overage interact, or if they even do at all.

Also I would recommend changing the default setting from Average to 2 tap in factory settings as most players would expect a tap tempo to work in this fashion and not taking an average as this is very unconventional for a tap tempo. Most units such as Boss Strymon etc do not operate in this way.
Two-tap used to be the way it worked and people complained so @FractalAudio created average and the option to pick one or the other. How's that for the long history of feature changes? I'm suddenly wondering what fell out of my head so I could remember that...

Thanks Guys,

I think in a round about way we got there...

Chris, Apologies for the confusion on this one, please bear in mind that most people that are unfamiliar or new to the Axe fx Average setting will expect it to work like a conventional tap tempo. The reason I said I pressed it twice was because in my mind there should only be a two step process on/off Step 3 in my mind is actually equivalent to step 1. until you outlined this in your last post.

This is why I asked how it worked many posts back.

Thanks for the time tho, you learn something everyday!

:)
over the years, most prefer Average. so it's like that. i prefer Last 2, and we got that as an option on the Axe2 a while ago.

and actually, most other gear's tap tempo works exactly like this. it doesn't "stop sensing" after only 2 taps, there's usually a timeout window. so i'm pretty sure it works the same, and some are Average and some are Last 2. you may just be used to Last 2.

Wow!

Really surprised that players requested an average tempo time??

I don't have time onstage to perform 10 + taps just to get the delay right. Moreover, I don't even need 10 taps. I would be questioning your timing abilities as a guitar player if you cannot time up a delay in two clicks?

Pretty sure my Strymon pedals don't default to Average tempo settings. Neither Do my Eventide processors or my Lexicons or my Boss or my Line 6 units or my Rocktron units. In fact I have never ever experienced an average tempo delay by default in any mainstream effects I have owned ever.

Hence the confusion.

I would be questioning your timing abilities as a guitar player if you cannot time up a delay in two clicks?
Precise foot tapping is harder than you think. It's a big appendage that's hard to move in a shoe. You're probably not as good at as you think you are! :D

On the Contrary...

I use my Strymon Timeline every night and usually get in bang on or close enough that you wouldn't know the difference.

I use my Strymon Timeline every night and usually get in bang on or close enough that you wouldn't know the difference.
If you tap more than twice on something that shows you the gap in milliseconds between taps you'd see there's quite a bit of variance. Try recording the CC output of a switch in your DAW and you'll see the drift between taps.

You're human, just like the rest of us.

Pretty sure my Strymon pedals don't default to Average tempo settings. Neither Do my Eventide processors or my Lexicons or my Boss or my Line 6 units or my Rocktron units. In fact I have never ever experienced an average tempo delay by default in any mainstream effects I have owned ever.

How would you know? Unless you're told, it's very hard to impossible to tell if the pedal is averaging across multiple taps or just using the gap betweent the last two taps to set the clock.

Hmm. You know, I'd like a chart with the two options displayed over ~10 taps, done by @Admin M@ or someone. I don't have a clear picture of how current tempo and two-tap or overage interact, or if they even do at all.
If I understand your question correctly, the “two-tap” tempo just uses the timing between the last two times you tapped the switch. The average method uses the average spacing of the last N taps. IIRC, N = 4.

If I understand your question correctly, the “two-tap” tempo just uses the timing between the last two times you tapped the switch. The average method uses the average spacing of the last N taps. IIRC, N = 4.
N=10 actually according to the wiki page! But yes, that's my understanding of two tap and average. I'm not certain that's 100% correct though when it comes to two tap. Seems...too easy.

Wow!

Really surprised that players requested an average tempo time??

I don't have time onstage to perform 10 + taps just to get the delay right.
You don’t have to perform 10+ taps. Two is enough, no matter how you have it set up.

Moreover, I don't even need 10 taps. I would be questioning your timing abilities as a guitar player if you cannot time up a delay in two clicks?
Yet you stomp a third time when you’re not satisfied with the results of your first two stomps? ;)

Pretty sure my Strymon pedals don't default to Average tempo settings.
According to the Stryman Timeline release notes, tap tempo averaging was improved four years ago.

You’re overthinking this. Just tap the number of times you need to get the tempo right, and you’re good to go.

N=10 actually according to the wiki page! But yes, that's my understanding of two tap and average. I'm not certain that's 100% correct though when it comes to two tap. Seems...too easy.
That’s it. The idea behind two-tap is that, when you’re tapping out a tempo, the last two taps will be the most accurate. Both methods calculate tempo as soon as they’ve received two taps. The difference is what they do if you keep on tapping.

My understanding is averging is the more common approach.
it is. the typical musician can press the switch 3 - 5 times and get closer to their desired tempo than most can with 2 presses.

personally, my 2 presses are pretty good so i use the Last 2 setting, as i've mentioned. but for most people i know, they prefer the average method.

Hence the confusion.

However, my point was and still is... Average tempo settings are selectable options on Boss Strymon and many other well known effects pedals that most guitarists use. Average tempo is not pre-set from the factory. Unlike the Axe fx.

If the Axe fx had been set to two tap from the factory this thread would not exist.

Hence the confusion.

However, my point was and still is... Average tempo settings are selectable options on Boss Strymon and many other well known effects pedals that most guitarists use. Average tempo is not pre-set from the factory. Unlike the Axe fx.

If the Axe fx had been set to two tap from the factory this thread would not exist.
If you had read the manual & set it to two tap, this thread wouldn't be here either.

Back
Top Bottom