Tap tempo issues

Pretty sure my Strymon pedals don't default to Average tempo settings. Neither Do my Eventide processors or my Lexicons or my Boss or my Line 6 units or my Rocktron units. In fact I have never ever experienced an average tempo delay by default in any mainstream effects I have owned ever.

Hence the confusion.

However, my point was and still is... Average tempo settings are selectable options on Boss Strymon and many other well known effects pedals that most guitarists use. Average tempo is not pre-set from the factory. Unlike the Axe fx.

If the Axe fx had been set to two tap from the factory this thread would not exist.
Two taps still work to set the tempo no matter what mode you're in. :)

I get what you're saying, though. But it's just a default. Most people don't run afoul of it, though, so it's a good default.

If the Axe fx had been set to two tap from the factory this thread would not exist.
If you only tap twice, there's no difference between two-tap mode and averging. And if you tap accurately there is, again, no difference between the modes. Because:

500 = (500+500)/2 = (500+500+500)/3 = (500+500+500+500)/4

...and so on.

I'm guessing the averaging problem was OP starting a "new" pair of taps too soon. You need to wait some amount of time (2 seconds on Axe II, probably same on the III) before the next tap is considered the first of a new series. In this example the tempo could be as low as ~60 bpm and skipping a beat might not hit the timeout limit.

voVOrZc.png

Even using "last two" it's kind of important to realize this, unless you don't care about tempo-synced effects jumping to half-tempo for a beat. By the 4th tap (red dot) "last two" will make the tempo match your 3rd-4th tap interval, but "average" would have the longer interval included until you get 10 taps beyond it, or pause 2 seconds and try again.

Once you know how to avoid that scenario, you might find that "average" gets closer most of the time for 3 or more taps. As mentioned above, for exactly two taps there's no difference from "last two".

A nice feature might be "smart timeout" that keeps the standard 2-second timeout until the second tap, then switches to something based on tempo, maybe 1.5 beats. Then you could pause for a beat or miss one tap and continue on the next beat while avoiding the wrong tempo scenario above. This could be a problem when trying to reduce tempo gradually, but some options could help with that or keep it working like now. A choice of seconds vs. beats with some way to adjust either value would be the key parameters I suppose.

it always is on the money for me when I have to tap...I say when I have to because why not just program the tempo into the preset and be done with it?

Curiously, the manual for the Strymon Timeline makes no mention of whether it's using averaging or "last-two" for tap tempo. Nor does it mention any way to choose between those two modes. That fact, combined with the mention of tap-tempo averaging in the release notes, would suggest that averaging is always turned on.

Curiously, the manual for the Strymon Timeline makes no mention of whether it's using averaging or "last-two" for tap tempo. Nor does it mention any way to choose between those two modes. That fact, combined with the mention of tap-tempo averaging in the release notes, would suggest that averaging is always turned on.
I emailed their support last night! They do two-tap! @neale dunham gets the points for that one!

Because I might need 12 presets in a set instead of 1 ;)

I have the tempo programmed into 30+ presets. I don't think I even have a tap tempo on my FC-6 anymore. But then again, the drummer I play with is a human metronome who uses an electronic one as a sanity check on a lot of our songs. If he says we're gonna play a song at 121 bpm, we play it at one hundred twenty by-damn one beats per minute, lol.

Then why did their release notes state that they improved tap tempo averaging?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's what they said:

Code:
Me: Do Strymon pedals use an averaging approach for tapped tempo input when the pedal has a tap switch on it? Or is it strictly the time between the current and previous press that sets the tempo?

Strymon: The way our tap tempo works is that every 2 presses on a tap tempo switch is used to calculate the BPM for the given pedal. So the latter option you mentioned. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's what they said:

Code:
Me: Do Strymon pedals use an averaging approach for tapped tempo input when the pedal has a tap switch on it? Or is it strictly the time between the current and previous press that sets the tempo?

Strymon: The way our tap tempo works is that every 2 presses on a tap tempo switch is used to calculate the BPM for the given pedal. So the latter option you mentioned. :)
Go fig. We have two statements from Strymon that are mutually exclusive.

I have the tempo programmed into 30+ presets. I don't think I even have a tap tempo on my FC-6 anymore. But then again, the drummer I play with is a human metronome who uses an electronic one as a sanity check on a lot of our songs. If he says we're gonna play a song at 121 bpm, we play it at one hundred twenty by-damn one beats per minute, lol.
Such a drummer is a true gift.

I think you totally missed my point. I typically use 1 preset for a set. I don't want 12 copies of the same preset that only have different tempo.

That makes sense.

Such a drummer is a true gift.

Good drummer, but he makes up for it by being an asshole. :D He's a likable guy, but a bit self-centered. The kind of guy who makes YouTube videos of himself making coffee. On the plus side, he never overplays his parts, he's always on time and sober, and he's a good sound engineer as well.

Back
Top Bottom