Taming the Monster - Leveling Presets Video with the Axe-FX II

Am I right in saying there's about 12db of play between instrument input and output?

When I use the Bypass preset with Global Out1 set flat and level to 0db and Input trim set to tickle the reds and then monitor the I/O levels in the Utility (Status) screen there is a lower Output level.

If I boost the Output level of the Global Out1 by the full 12db (leaving the freq curve flat) then the Output matches the Input in the Utility (Status) bars.

Or should my Instrument In and Out be equal at a flat curve Global Out1 set at 0db level when using an empty preset?

Edit: Or to get to a point .... if I set the levels a la Scott then decide to add a 6db boost IA later sometime, there would still be 6db of headroom before the Output should clip?

Last edited:
Lots of good info in this thread, and it is so important to balance those presets. Now, if I could only get the keyboard player to balance his damn presets!! :)

Great post as usual Scott. Thanks for all you do for us here at the Fractal Forum.

My 2 cents is regarding the use of the SPL, as I am a risk consultant by trade. The positioning of any SPL relative to the source of the noise has a significant impact on the readings. You are correct in setting it for the C scale rather than the A scale. The A scale does not accurately measure impulse noise (very quick noise events) where the C scale is intended to capture rapid noise events. The correct positioning of the SPL would be perpendicular to the noise source (not pointed directly at it). Higher frequencies are very directional compared to lower frequencies. If an SPL is pointed directly at the source, it has a tendency to gather more of the high frequencies and in extreme circumstances that can skew your results. If one is going to set their volume levels using the SPL, then the consistency of the readings is critical. All readings should be taken with the same positioning of the SPL relative to the source. If the SPL meter is not capable of reading a C weight scale, it is useless for this purpose.

That leads me to calibration. Any readings from an SPL meter that cannot be calibrated against an established norm are useless. Such devices can be way off norm, and I do mean way off. As noted in previous discussions, there is a huge difference in sound level between 90 dbC and 91 dbC, so if the sound meter is way off norm, there is no useful reference point for the readings. I suppose that one could argue that all readings would be from the same error point.

Since a lot of the discussion here centers around loudness and perceived loudness, my point is that there are correct and incorrect methods for using an SPL. Use of the proper weighting (C scale rather than A scale) and correct positioning of the SPL mic (perpendicular rather than pointed directly at the source) should provide very good results in leveling what the SPL "hears".

Again, great post. Kudos my brother! \m/ (*_*) \m/

GeezerJohn,
I want to make sure I'm understanding how your saying to place the SPL meter. The meter should be on axis. Instead of pointing the mic directly at the center of the cone, it should be pointing up in the air (actually somewhat back away from the monitor since the monitor is angled up. Am I understanding you correctly?

Back
Top Bottom