Taming the Monster - Leveling Presets Video with the Axe-FX II

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
This is my process for balancing the output of different presets across the range of gain from the cleanest to the loudest OD.

This is a quick video that outlines the process in action.

The SPL meter I use is a Checkmate SPL Meter Model CM-130. I think it was $50 or $60. It's an invaluable tool though in this process.

Sorry for the shaky NYPD Blue camera work - I had a guitar in my lap and one hand holding the camera. If I would have used a tripod, I could not show the front of the Axe-FX II and the SPL meter as needed.

The keys to all of this is:

1. Input volume set correctly; maximize your A/D convertors
  2. Unlike how I show in the video, play each preset in the manner you normally use it. The key isn't to focus on the peaks, but instead on the middle of the range, your average output levels in essence.
  3. As a final check, use your ears as you switch between each preset and adjust from there. You should only need very minor adjustments if any.

Once you've done this process a few times, you'll get uncany in your accuracy with the SPL meter.

**IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE** I usually use headphones (not plugged into anything) to protect my hearing at these levels with the speaker this close. PLEASE keep your ears safe for a lifetime of use!

Last edited:
Just watched it - I'm dizzy, but it was great. Thanks for taking the time to walk us through your methods - you rawk!

Been thinking of getting an SPL meter, thanks for finding me a working inexpensive one.
Great job!!

Radio Shack (Realistic) also has a similarly priced SPL meter.. 33-2055 IIRC. Great, low cost tool for monitor calibration as well.

The only concern I'd have here is that by changing the amp level you change the way that the amp hits the cab and everything after it. May not be an issue though, I'm curious now.

Personally I always adjust my levels with the main level on the output mixer section. Its in the same spot each time and even cooler is the ability to do it from a foot controller (vol inc/dec in the I/O section). I have a bank on my foot controller programmed just setting levels and crap. The other really cool thing is that its automatically stored when you adjust it. The only downside is that I believe its in 1dB increments whch for me is more than close enough, but if you're using an SPL meter and getting that precise then you may want to do it manually where you can get it balls on accurate.

The only concern I'd have here is that by changing the amp level you change the way that the amp hits the cab and everything after it. May not be an issue though, I'm curious now.

Personally I always adjust my levels with the main level on the output mixer section. Its in the same spot each time and even cooler is the ability to do it from a foot controller (vol inc/dec in the I/O section). I have a bank on my foot controller programmed just setting levels and crap. The other really cool thing is that its automatically stored when you adjust it. The only downside is that I believe its in 1dB increments whch for me is more than close enough, but if you're using an SPL meter and getting that precise then you may want to do it manually where you can get it balls on accurate.

No, it doesn't change anything. The amp output level has nothing to do with anything other than output level.

I never adjust levels at a show, never have to using this method. Do it at home, do it right and everything is always cool once they have their input set at the board. Done.

Cool. Good to know. And I couldn't agree more, get it set in a controlled environment and as long as you have the rest of the stuff set right you never have to mess with it again.

But the real benefit is just how much better everything sounds once you get it leveled. I know that it sounds stupid or obvious, but it really does make the playing experience a lot better.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into helping fellow Fractalites follow Fractalism fruitfully.

Why do this at 115db? Why not turn down to the 80db range?

What I have found through experience is that for it to work in a live environment, you *MUST* do it at gig levels. You'll find a huge difference between 80db and 115db for instance once you turn up for a gig.

Fletcher-Munson is essential to consider when it comes to balancing output levels between presets.

Fletcher-Munson.gif

No, it doesn't change anything. The amp output level has nothing to do with anything other than output level.

Depends If the preset is using the cab block with non-zero motor drive; then it's potentially an issue. That's why like shasha, If my only goal is change the preset output level I prefer the output mixer section.

Depends If the preset is using the cab block with non-zero motor drive; then it's potentially an issue. That's why like shasha, If my only goal is change the preset output level I prefer the output mixer section.

Interesting. I set the motor drive at 2.25 for all my presets, so it is uniform.

There is no reason you cannot just use the output mixer section. I just do not.

What I have found through experience is that for it to work in a live environment, you *MUST* do it at gig levels. You'll find a huge difference between 80db and 115db for instance once you turn up for a gig.

Fletcher-Munson is essential to consider when it comes to balancing output levels between presets.

Fletcher-Munson.gif

But....If you put headphones on to protect your hearing (assuming the common -30dB kind) then you are in the 80dB ballpark anyway ;)

But....If you put headphones on to protect your hearing (assuming the common -30dB kind) then you are in the 80dB ballpark anyway ;)

True - but I have protective gear from shooting and it's -30db too; so it doesn't worry me. I'm smart enough to know when to stop. And I didn't choose to play guitar to be quiet. :D

If you do not balance your levels at gig volumes, they will not balance at gig volumes. If you know what I mean. :D

You kind of glossed over the unity gain thing at the beginning--are you just making sure the in and out meters are basically at the same level?

You kind of glossed over the unity gain thing at the beginning--are you just making sure the in and out meters are basically at the same level?

Yes. That's how I set my 'baseline' output. The Fender Twin preset matches my 'cleanest' clean, so I use that. The output level on that is -5.5db. Everything else then has to match that (including my acoustic preset with the Variax JTV59).

For matching output volumes I fail to see why it has to be so loud, I understand the theory for final tweaking for tone.

Back
Top Bottom