Taming the Monster - Leveling Presets Video with the Axe-FX II

Question. What do you set the physical Output knob to? Do leave that around Noon and allow the Amp level to allow the SPL to reach the ~112db? I'm just asking cuz I'm trying to set the EJ Clean patch and I set the Output knob to noon and when I try to set the Amp level so I can reach the approximate 112db range I get the Output 1 Clip signal (Which NO one wants).

There are many places to 'alter' the volume of this unit so I'm at a bit loss as to what to set as stationary and what to actually use to vary the volume.

I hope this made sense :)

PS. I did set my input to tickle the red with my Tele and have the Amp block output on the EJ Clean patch to be relatively similar to the input level (just like the video)

Thanks !

Edit: Well, I guess since I'm simply setting the Max db as long as I get relatively same db's on their maxed out output I guess I can simply set the output knob higher to actually be at live volume when I get to the gig. Or will that still clip the output? Ahh. I think I'm talking out of my ears

Last edited:
Question. What do you set the physical Output knob to? Do leave that around Noon and allow the Amp level to allow the SPL to reach the ~112db? I'm just asking cuz I'm trying to set the EJ Clean patch and I set the Output knob to noon and when I try to set the Amp level so I can reach the approximate 112db range I get the Output 1 Clip signal (Which NO one wants).

There are many places to 'alter' the volume of this unit so I'm at a bit loss as to what to set as stationary and what to actually use to vary the volume.

I hope this made sense :)

PS. I did set my input to tickle the red with my Tele and have the Amp block output on the EJ Clean patch to be relatively similar to the input level (just like the video)

Thanks !

Edit: Well, I guess since I'm simply setting the Max db as long as I get relatively same db's on their maxed out output I guess I can simply set the output knob higher to actually be at live volume when I get to the gig. Or will that still clip the output? Ahh. I think I'm talking out of my ears

Live I end up about noon on the output of the Axe-FX II. This sets the output to FOH and my powered monitor.

BUT - I then vary my output on the powered monitor to taste to get the SPL level where I want it.

Great info as usual.
I was monkeying around with my presets last night and this very question came up for me.

Thanks for posting it up!

Live I end up about noon on the output of the Axe-FX II. This sets the output to FOH and my powered monitor.

BUT - I then vary my output on the powered monitor to taste to get the SPL level where I want it.

Cheers, mate! So just to clear things up for this slow pope.

1. Choose clean patch -> strum hard (for max output sake) -> set Input gain to tickle red in the meter-> set AMP level to match the input gain (approximate).
2. Set the Axe's Output knob to be about noon -> Use the SPL meter on the speaker to see 'db' (in your case ~112db but I guess that depends on the level you have set on your FRFR monitor or (power amp/cab) )
3. Cycle through presets to set the SPL meter to be about the same using the AMP block's Level control

but with your last statement I guess it's a MUST to reread the SPL before gig if you are not using the same output gear. Or just to make sure you have the correct SPL's for each presets.

whew... Correct?

Sorry for beating a dead horse ;)

Just been experimenting with this method and find it to be quite difficult. The reason why I say this is the way I clean patch and my dirty patch is significantly different. So after I level things with me just chugging the hardest I can to set the output level similar across the patches, when I play them, the clean is sooooo much quieter than the dirty patches. I find myself modifying the patch levels again depending on how I am going to play the patches.

Just been experimenting with this method and find it to be quite difficult. The reason why I say this is the way I clean patch and my dirty patch is significantly different. So after I level things with me just chugging the hardest I can to set the output level similar across the patches, when I play them, the clean is sooooo much quieter than the dirty patches. I find myself modifying the patch levels again depending on how I am going to play the patches.

Are you looking at the middle of the range, not the peaks. Cleans will have a lot more dynamics and therefore quieter and louder; the key is the middle of that range. For your heavier OD tones, you'll have a far less range between the high/low and you again though are focused on finding the middle of the range through your playing style.

And again, the key in the end is to check it against your ear. No meter will ever tell you more than your ears can.

Scott,

Is there a way to do this only through headphones? In my setup, I run straight to a PA, and am only using in ear monitors on stage. Could this be done via headphones in some way? Or am I going to need to hook it up to a speaker when setting these in my bedroom even though I won't be using said speaker in a live environment?

Thanks!
Brandon

I would recommend adding a compressor block to the end of your chain for clean presets for use with in the ears.

IMO, that is more effective for taming the dynamic range of clean presets for use with IEM's.

Richard

Scott,

Is there a way to do this only through headphones? In my setup, I run straight to a PA, and am only using in ear monitors on stage. Could this be done via headphones in some way? Or am I going to need to hook it up to a speaker when setting these in my bedroom even though I won't be using said speaker in a live environment?

Thanks!
Brandon

You can use input/output meters too, but you will need to check it and NOT through headphones. Volume is it's own beast; headphones are their own beast.

I would recommend adding a compressor block to the end of your chain for clean presets for use with in the ears.

IMO, that is more effective for taming the dynamic range of clean presets for use with IEM's.

Richard

Unless you want the dynamics of the cleans; I require them for most stuff. I use compressors as an effect. In the past I've done what you suggest and also doing the same thing with the multi-band compressor but in the end generally do not do so any more.

One notable exception for me is my acoustic preset (using my Tyler/Variax JTV59US) there my signal chain is primarily the MBC and reverb.

Awesome video Thanks so much for this I will definitely give it a shot. I really appreciate this info but geez how about taming the camera. I reckon we could get a few ppl on the forum to pitch in for a tripod for ya. Keep em coming.

Scott Peterson said:
Are you looking at the middle of the range, not the peaks. Cleans will have a lot more dynamics and therefore quieter and louder; the key is the middle of that range. For your heavier OD tones, you'll have a far less range between the high/low and you again though are focused on finding the middle of the range through your playing style.

And again, the key in the end is to check it against your ear. No meter will ever tell you more than your ears can.

Scott Peterson said:
IMHO, your ears will lie to you as they fatigue. Recording and mixing is one thing, playing live is a whole other kettle of fish.

I thought I shouldn't use my ears. LoL. So you are suggesting that I find my middle of the range within my clean preset and match my OD tones with that? This process has a lot of variables I need to get accustomed to. Haha. Thanks

Awesome video Thanks so much for this I will definitely give it a shot. I really appreciate this info but geez how about taming the camera. I reckon we could get a few ppl on the forum to pitch in for a tripod for ya. Keep em coming.

Aw come on, the shaky cam is all the rage. LOL!

I thought I shouldn't use my ears. LoL. So you are suggesting that I find my middle of the range within my clean preset and match my OD tones with that? This process has a lot of variables I need to get accustomed to. Haha. Thanks

Do it with the tools. Takes some time. Could hurt your ears. Don't hurt your ears.

Check it with your ears. Very quick. Won't hurt your ears. Don't hurt your ears.

I watched this video a couple weeks ago, thinking "I need to do this."

As it turns out, I use the second pedal on my FCB1010 as volume, through Extern2 controller. So, I have to set the top of the range for the controller link for each preset in Axe Edit to accomplish what is shown here. No problem.

Scott is using a dB meter. I did the same, with a Radio Shack meter (others in the thread have recommended this meter).

Here is a hint, though: The Radio Shack meter is threaded to sit on a camera tripod. I just have a spare tripod sitting in my studio with the meter mounted on it so I can easily read the display. Makes it easy to have both hands free to strum the guitar and make changes in Axe Edit.

Dave

I watched this video a couple weeks ago, thinking "I need to do this."

As it turns out, I use the second pedal on my FCB1010 as volume, through Extern2 controller. So, I have to set the top of the range for the controller link for each preset in Axe Edit to accomplish what is shown here. No problem.

Scott is using a dB meter. I did the same, with a Radio Shack meter (others in the thread have recommended this meter).

Here is a hint, though: The Radio Shack meter is threaded to sit on a camera tripod. I just have a spare tripod sitting in my studio with the meter mounted on it so I can easily read the display. Makes it easy to have both hands free to strum the guitar and make changes in Axe Edit.

Dave

I have the same Radio Shack DB meter and you are right, it's threaded and works great. Note I shot this video very fast and sloppy. I'm not a video producer by any stretch. LOL.

I have learned a lot from this vid and everyone's comments on this thread ,so thanks.
One question: I have downloaded a free SPL meter for my android phone.
The instructions make the point that phone manufacturers LIMIT the mics so they cannot go above 100db.
They are also set up for human speaking voice which is about 300Hz to 3500Hz.

I assume the same applies for iPhone apps.
Anyone confirm or reject this?

Hey, Scott, I was curious about your relative db levels for clean versus overdrive sounds. I've always tried to get my OD tones to match, volume-wise, but I'd like to hear where you put cleans relative to OD tones, and maybe even how much you have lead sounds bump up in db.

greiswig,

I set the cleans first. I look for the 'middle' value of the range on the db meter. I then do the same with the OD tones, looking for the *middle* of the range of spl db levels - not the transients. Just the 'mean' average of the range. That's the key. Not peaks.

I use the Matt Picone global boost for solos - 111 midi value for the "Boost" cc, then 127 midi value for the 'boost'. You actually are attenuating your output and then just un-attenuating it for the 'boost' so you never hit red and I've found his values are perfect. I have measured about an average of +6db boost using his suggestion. Search "Using Boosts" thread I started long ago and see the "Matman" post there.

I have learned a lot from this vid and everyone's comments on this thread ,so thanks.
One question: I have downloaded a free SPL meter for my android phone.
The instructions make the point that phone manufacturers LIMIT the mics so they cannot go above 100db.
They are also set up for human speaking voice which is about 300Hz to 3500Hz.

I assume the same applies for iPhone apps.
Anyone confirm or reject this?

Matters on the app. I have Android and have an app called "Smart Tool" (that does have a nice db meter that goes well over 100db), but prefer a real stand along hardware unit for serious production work.

Back
Top Bottom