Taming the Monster - Building an Amp/Cab Preset in the Axe-FX II + Tweaking It

Hey Scott! Wonderful video. I have been so overwhelmed with all of the tabs that my Axe has not received a lot of attention as of late. I will try your method and see how things go! Thanks for taking the time and showing us folks a little bit of what you do to get great tones!

Cool - please do try them and report what you find happens. I'm learning too; and shared experiences are what build communities.

The end goal for me is that folks enjoy their gear, get the individual tones they want and have fun doing it. Gear should not be frustrating and what the Axe-FX can do for you if you have a plan or method is be a fun and powerful way to get you what you want.

Cool - please do try them and report what you find happens. I'm learning too; and shared experiences are what build communities.

The end goal for me is that folks enjoy their gear, get the individual tones they want and have fun doing it. Gear should not be frustrating and what the Axe-FX can do for you if you have a plan or method is be a fun and powerful way to get you what you want.

good work Scott.

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R U going to post all of your videos to the same thread entry so they wont be so scattered? Or make a new forum category?

Last edited:
very cool scott. I hadn't touched any of the speaker tab before, it was interesting hearing the change from an ok original sound to a very nice sound throughout the video. I liked this.

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R U going to post all of your videos to the same thread entry so they wont be so scattered? Or make a new forum category?

LOL. I'll probably do a new thread for each one; though they will be related, the topics of each will be different. I don't want to clutter the forum, but I also don't want to post about how to dial in a wah on a thread about how to dial in your amp; it'd get too messy. We'll see.

SCOOT'S PERFECT ASSESSMENT!!!

After analyzing what folks do by working with lots of folks individually now over the years (I do private consulting to get folks up to speed on working with the Axe-FX on the side) it's my conclusion that folks don't need to grab someone else's preset... they need a method.

Hey Scott,

BINGO!!! (IMO) this is ABSOLUTELY the biggest flaw in most users' approach to achieving their sounds! I think once a user DOES have his/her "method," THEN (and NOT until then!) can the user go and share presets, but even then, I think it should be mostly as a "compare-and-contrast" type of peek into OTHER folks' "methods!"

Here's an analogy: When newer/less-experienced users seek to just gobble-up shared-presets, seeking that "magical" preset (which usually varies a bit at best from player-to-player anyways...) that's sort of the equivalent of a guitarist learning another (say, famous) guitarist's-solo from a song "note-for-note" from a TAB created by someone else (lets say a very accurately transcribed Hal Leonard Publication for example.) BTW, There's nothing WRONG with learning/memorizing/playing another guy's solo "note-for-note" if that's what makes you happy. HOWEVER, in the bigger picture, at the end-of-the-day, the guitarist might've learned more about their OWN fretboard-navigational approach AND perhaps associate the famous-guy's solo to the harmony he's playing over if the guitarist had taken the time to learn the solo by ear! (I find that most people/students who use the TAB-books a LOT, RARELY take the time to analyze the solo they just learned?!? In other words, they now can play it, but they really don't understand WHY the solo sounds cool against it's accompanying-harmony, AND if they were to play said solo live (say, in a band situation,) and lose their place in the memorized-solo, they're often times SCREWED, (and subsequently struggle to recover) because they never took the time to fully understand what key(s) they were in in the first place!!! Even if the Hal Leonard Publication TAB is more accurate (...although I'll take that "Pepsi-Challenge" on a good day - LOL!) more can usually be learned (albeit a bit more time-consumingly) by the "d.i.y." approach.

(Takes deep breath...lol!)

Seeking (others') magical-presets is akin to the "paint-by-numbers/TAB-book" approach, whereas the "d.i.y." transcription/analysis is the "bigger-picture-takeaway," analagous to Scott Peterson's excellent/effective/simplified "preset-creation method!" Ftw!

My method is no better or worse than any other; it's just one that works. Parameters are there... yes. But they do NOT need to be touched if there is a simpler and more more powerful way to get you where your ears tell you to go. Most folks stuck with parameter 'paralysis' are missing that one key thing - a method.

I just trust my ears. I've done the work. This is my method and I'll do a series of these showing what I do in the hope it helps other folks. And helps put an end to all the rubbish posts you see about not 'getting' the Axe-FX. It's whatever you make it; if you make it hard... it will be. It's not.

Amen brother, Amen!!!

Bill

LOL. I'll probably do a new thread for each one; though they will be related, the topics of each will be different. I don't want to clutter the forum, but I also don't want to post about how to dial in a wah on a thread about how to dial in your amp; it'd get too messy. We'll see.
I was asking cause I didnt want to miss any, and also to refrence them when needed. Really do appreciate u doing this..............

Hey Scott,

BINGO!!! (IMO) this is ABSOLUTELY the biggest flaw in most users' approach to achieving their sounds! I think once a user DOES have his/her "method," THEN (and NOT until then!) can the user go and share presets, but even then, I think it should be mostly as a "compare-and-contrast" type of peek into OTHER folks' "methods!"

Here's an analogy: When newer/less-experienced users seek to just gobble-up shared-presets, seeking that "magical" preset (which usually varies a bit at best from player-to-player anyways...) that's sort of the equivalent of a guitarist learning another (say, famous) guitarist's-solo from a song "note-for-note" from a TAB created by someone else (lets say a very accurately transcribed Hal Leonard Publication for example.) BTW, There's nothing WRONG with learning/memorizing/playing another guy's solo "note-for-note" if that's what makes you happy. HOWEVER, in the bigger picture, at the end-of-the-day, the guitarist might've learned more about their OWN fretboard-navigational approach AND perhaps associate the famous-guy's solo to the harmony he's playing over if the guitarist had taken the time to learn the solo by ear! (I find that most people/students who use the TAB-books a LOT, RARELY take the time to analyze the solo they just learned?!? In other words, they now can play it, but they really don't understand WHY the solo sounds cool against it's accompanying-harmony, AND if they were to play said solo live (say, in a band situation,) and lose their place in the memorized-solo, they're often times SCREWED, (and subsequently struggle to recover) because they never took the time to fully understand what key(s) they were in in the first place!!! Even if the Hal Leonard Publication TAB is more accurate (...although I'll take that "Pepsi-Challenge" on a good day - LOL!) more can usually be learned (albeit a bit more time-consumingly) by the "d.i.y." approach.

(Takes deep breath...lol!)

Seeking (others') magical-presets is akin to the "paint-by-numbers/TAB-book" approach, whereas the "d.i.y." transcription/analysis is the "bigger-picture-takeaway," analagous to Scott Peterson's excellent/effective/simplified "preset-creation method!" Ftw!

Amen brother, Amen!!!

Bill

Really nice to see that folks 'get' what I'm trying to do. Well said. "Teach a man to fish..." is far more important than throwing them a chunk of bread. :D

I was asking cause I didnt want to miss any, and also to refrence them when needed. Really do appreciate u doing this..............

Subscribe to the YouTube channel there; that's where I'll put them all.

I'm also going to do a rig rundown to show what I actually do with the thing. LOL.

FWIW - I'm also very open to suggestions about what folks want to get a look at from my perspective; keeping in mind that there are a million ways to do things and my way is just one way, no better or worse but it's a way.

Good - because that is the whole point of my doing these videos. I see all sorts of rubbish posted about how hard it is to work with the Axe-FX, how complicated it is to 'tweak in' good sounds. Yet when I work 1-on-1 with folks the general response is... 'that's it?'.

I am sick of reading all the crap posted about tweaking; I am sick of how hard it is to dial an Axe-FX, I am sick of reading how 'smart' I am for getting sounds. I'm not that smart, no smarter than anyone else. There's no magic. After analyzing what folks do by working with lots of folks individually now over the years (I do private consulting to get folks up to speed on working with the Axe-FX on the side) it's my conclusion that folks don't need to grab someone else's preset... they need a method.

My method is no better or worse than any other; it's just one that works. Parameters are there... yes. But they do NOT need to be touched if there is a simpler and more more powerful way to get you where your ears tell you to go. Most folks stuck with parameter 'paralysis' are missing that one key thing - a method.

I just trust my ears. I've done the work. This is my method and I'll do a series of these showing what I do in the hope it helps other folks. And helps put an end to all the rubbish posts you see about not 'getting' the Axe-FX. It's whatever you make it; if you make it hard... it will be. It's not.

I understand what you are saying... I probably one of the people your talking about in your post...I did not mean to piss anyone off ...sorry...just trying to flush out info and opinions and it worked. Learned a lot by doing so. I was never complaining about the product although a lot of people took it that way.
And truth be told you have been a great help and a level head on this forum... Now if you dont mind i have some questions for you...or any one else would like to contribute ... I will be taking my questions directly from the manual or wikii

1) Ever thought about giving skype lessons.

2)DEPTH – Boosts low frequencies from the power amp simulation by varying the negative feedback frequency response. So my question is what does varying the negative feedback frequency response do to the sound? My understanding is this ... I use it to fatten up the sound in conjunction with MV.... If this is how to approach using the damp control no need to answer.

3) What is negative feedback frequency response

4 )LF RESONANCE, LF RES FREQ, LF RES Q – Guitar loudspeakers have a low-frequency resonance,typically about 100 Hz. This shifts up slightly when the speaker is mounted in an enclosure. This resonance causes an increase in the power amplifier response due to the finite output impedance of the power amp. This tells me nothing it might as well be in french. How do these 3 controls inter-react with each other and how do they affect the tone of the amp. In other words when im adjusting the sound i go to these controls to do what? Buzz words like smooth out, brighten up, amplifier clip , vintage and the like would be very help full.

5) LF RESONANCE ? I know what low frequency is and i think i know what resonance is... But when the two words are put together ??? My guess is that raising the value of this parameter will make the sound more boomey ... If im on the right track no need to answer this question.

6) LF RES FREQ ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words

7) LF RES Q ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words.

I hope that im not insulting any one by asking these questions and understand that i may be asking too much maybe i should go to engineering school to learn this...but it would be great if someone could explain these and other parameters in terms i can use and apply if someone wants to do a paypal skype lesson to teach me im open to that... One way or the other im going to learn and understand every last control in this little black box because i have different sounds in my head that are not in any of the presets. I want to know which nob when and how far right or left to turn it....

Scott your video was great im studying but i want to learn more please dont take that the wrong way you are a great teacher and these are the questions i seek answers to.

Thanks

I understand what you are saying... I probably one of the people your talking about in your post...I did not mean to piss anyone off ...sorry...just trying to flush out info and opinions and it worked. Learned a lot by doing so. I was never complaining about the product although a lot of people took it that way.
And truth be told you have been a great help and a level head on this forum... Now if you dont mind i have some questions for you...or any one else would like to contribute ... I will be taking my questions directly from the manual or wikii

1) Ever thought about giving skype lessons.

2)DEPTH – Boosts low frequencies from the power amp simulation by varying the negative feedback frequency response. So my question is what does varying the negative feedback frequency response do to the sound? My understanding is this ... I use it to fatten up the sound in conjunction with MV.... If this is how to approach using the damp control no need to answer.

3) What is negative feedback frequency response

4 )LF RESONANCE, LF RES FREQ, LF RES Q – Guitar loudspeakers have a low-frequency resonance,typically about 100 Hz. This shifts up slightly when the speaker is mounted in an enclosure. This resonance causes an increase in the power amplifier response due to the finite output impedance of the power amp. This tells me nothing it might as well be in french. How do these 3 controls inter-react with each other and how do they affect the tone of the amp. In other words when im adjusting the sound i go to these controls to do what? Buzz words like smooth out, brighten up, amplifier clip , vintage and the like would be very help full.

5) LF RESONANCE ? I know what low frequency is and i think i know what resonance is... But when the two words are put together ??? My guess is that raising the value of this parameter will make the sound more boomey ... If im on the right track no need to answer this question.

6) LF RES FREQ ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words

7) LF RES Q ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words.

I hope that im not insulting any one by asking these questions and understand that i may be asking too much maybe i should go to engineering school to learn this...but it would be great if someone could explain these and other parameters in terms i can use and apply if someone wants to do a paypal skype lesson to teach me im open to that... One way or the other im going to learn and understand every last control in this little black box because i have different sounds in my head that are not in any of the presets. I want to know which nob when and how far right or left to turn it....

Scott your video was great im studying but i want to learn more please dont take that the wrong way you are a great teacher and these are the questions i seek answers to.

Thanks

I wasn't referring to you at all. The general 'knock' on the Axe-FX from folks that want to demonize it or folks that own it is that you have to tweak incessantly to get tones or that it is difficult to do so. It's not. My comments were more directed at that meme... not you or anyone specifically.

I do work with people individually - but I do not work for Fractal Audio and it is not official Fractal authorized consulting, so I'm not comfortable discussing it on the boards here at the Fractal Forum. Contact me via PM to discuss further.

In terms of what the different parameters do... I'll fall back on what works. Two answers (expressed honestly and sincerely): 1) any given parameter only matters if it makes things sound better to YOU; 2) Trust your ears.

That's going to be stressful to some that want every detail of everything totally under their fingertips... my point is that you do NOT need to know anything about these things to simply dial it up. Trust the method... not the parameters.

Put another way, no matter if you have knowledge and understanding of every single control... that does not mean you can dial up a good sound if you: a) don't have a method; b) don't trust your ears.

Put even another way, the parameters and what they do... does not matter unless it makes things sound better to you. You can use my method from the video - which is essentially all I do - for EVERY single amp type or different kind of tone.

The differences will be with the cab block setup. That's essential; and I use different IR combinations though with the same method - a NF combined with a FF. Currently that is a given OwnHammer with a given Jay Mitchell but there are more far field IR's coming from OwnHammer and at some point from Jay Mitchell. I find the 'character' of the cab is more dependent on the NF IR and the FF is essentially the 'broth' that makes the soup taste cohesive.

You need to do research on whatever amp you are using to find the proper NF to use. I find the Red Wire Cabs might need some low/high pass work to 'mix' in correctly without adding all sorts of overtones (low mud and high 'essssssss') but they are workable too. It is also very important to note that you do not need to use a mic; I do not.

The reason I feel the cab IR block has any of these issues isn't IMHO related to the cab block or the IR's or use of IR's... it is more to the fact that the VAST majority of IR's are NF (near field) right up on the speaker grille. That's, IMHO, never discussed; but that's the whole point of FF IR's.

Stick your ear up close to a speaker... and it sounds unnatural. Stick a microphone up close to a grille.... and it sounds unnatural. That's the reason, IMHO, IR's add all sorts of highs and lows that we have to cut out for it to 'cut' and sound right.

Now, FF IR's by themselves don't sound right to me personally - IMHO - any more than the NF IR's by themselves. I fought against this for years now, mixing IR's from different distances (and the back of the cab) in an effort to offset this.

With the Axe-FX II, there is a simple way to handle this. Imperfect? Yes; but it sounds good and feels right to ME. IMHO, YMMV.

Here's my post-5.xx recommendations for live/recording. If you follow this, you may find that all the 'too bright!' and 'too dark!' sort of threads disappear. I cobbled this together from a few different posts all over the forums.

Amp/cab ONLY. No reverb, no effects, no PEQ, no EQ, no Global. Zip, nada, nothing. Just an amp/cab.

Start with your sound in the amp block. Take your cab block in the Axe-FX and make it stereo. Then pan them both center. Room settings to off. Speaker Cab Motor at 5.00 (noon). Proximity to taste. Make one speaker IR an OwnHammer that is a proper choice for your amp type (say the G65 OH) and *No Mic*; then the other make it a Jay Mitchell FF IR - I use the EV112 and G12-65 JM mainly and *No Mic*. Set your Drive/Master Volume and then tone stack EQ on the amp block as you normally would till you like how it sounds. That's it.

IMHO, most all IR's you are using are all close mic'd and that's been a major flaw thus far in use with them... because that's how it's been done for decades. That's why mix engineers use so much EQ... and we have too with the Axe-FX (ie. blocking lows/highs after the cab, etc)..

Seriously, try this and let me know what you think.

Fender (or Fender Like tones):
OH 112 Boogafunk E12L/JM 112 EMI Open Back FF
Vox (or Vox like tones):
OH 112 Boogafunk Blue/JM EMI 112 Open Back FF
Marshall:
OH 412 SLM M75/JM 212 G12-65 FF
Higher Gain:
OH SLM G65 (*or OH V30, H75, Blue, or G65)/JM 212 G12-65 FFNote (repeated for emphasis): No mic. No room reverb from block. Speaker Motor Drive at 5.00 (noon). Both cabs panned center.

It'll sound good. Tweak from there to find your own flavors.

Last edited:
are there any FF Mesa Recto Ir's out there yet?
I bought some from OH and RW last night but there are so many of them I'm a little overwhelemed (the RW off axis Recto Ir's sound great BTW)
much thicker and punchier without the "fizz"
so I was jsut looking at the RW websight and they state they have several mic positions.
one is "room"
is that their FF version? what denotes an FF IR (as in how far from the grille etc)

Last edited:
Thanks i have been saving all ur post with instructions in them and methods....as i will with your reply....ur point is inargueable... use ur ears

are there any FF Mesa Recto Ir's out there yet?
I bought some from OH and RW last night but there are so many of them I'm a little overwhelemed (the RW off axis Recto Ir's sound great BTW)
much thicker and punchier without the "fizz"
so I was jsut looking at the RW websight and they state they have several mic positions.
one is "room"
is that their FF version? what denotes an FF IR (as in how far from the grille etc)

Pretty much; though it is different. Jay Mitchell uses a proprietary method of capture that accounts for how a guitarist is normally positioned in relation to his amp and he avoids all sorts of reflections and such. The technical stuff is over my head; but his sound right mixed in this way. With the Red Wire and Own Hammer you might have to play with how MUCH (or) how LITTLE you turn them up in the mix because they are brighter. Trust your ears.

BTW in where can i get more ff irs

Red Wire offers "Room" in most every collection; and Own Hammer is starting to roll out their versions of FF too. Currently OH have them for the Bogner 412... they are adding more.

yes thanks again Scott, the controls on the Speaker cab really do a lot to help remove extra filters and PEQ's from the chain to get "the sound"
I never really understood what each one does (still a little foggy) but much better now than I was before I watched.
Video tutorials are always the best (IMO)

Back
Top Bottom