Taming the Monster - Building an Amp/Cab Preset in the Axe-FX II + Tweaking It

I think Scott's method is...
More about reproducing what it is like for a listener's perspective/experience when hearing a cab/rig, rather than what a microphone "hears" (especially when considering close-mic conditions). This is why one would opt for a reference mic IR... it does not color the sound (much), thus being more capable (inherently) of coming closer to a neutral reproduction. So long as the IR is well and properly created, it, alone or in combination, should be capable of providing such experience (similarly, not identically, of course).

Whether this is preferable to a "close mic'd sound" or not is, of course, completely in the ears/mind of the player.

I think Scott's method is...
More about reproducing what it is like for a listener's perspective/experience when hearing a cab/rig, rather than what a microphone "hears" (especially when considering close-mic conditions). This is why one would opt for a reference mic IR... it does not color the sound (much), thus being more capable (inherently) of coming closer to a neutral reproduction. So long as the IR is well and properly created, it, alone or in combination, should be capable of providing such experience (similarly, not identically, of course).

Whether this is preferable to a "close mic'd sound" or not is, of course, completely in the ears/mind of the player.

I agree with this.

I will also add that, IMHO, most folks with issues related to their own tone within the Axe-FX and like devices are having issues not with the device but in the use of a unnatural close mic'd IR. Shove your ear into a speaker - it does not sound natural. Shove a mic right up to a speaker, it does not sound natural. Read complaints of folks saying that a modeler running FRFR 'does not sound natural' and there you have it.

You also read folks with issues of 'too much top end (aka 'fizz') and excessive low end (aka 'mud') and how the IR's are created (for the most part) explains it again - and using a mic exacerbates it by hyping the (not surprising) highs and lows. It's a closed loop.

Try this method I use and then see if it doesn't end up better than where many sit frustrated with their tones. It is simple, it works and it sounds good for all ranges of gain levels and genre's.

...And, interestingly, this is what led me to an obsessive investigation into why IR use is the key factor in my displeasure with "non-real amp in the room with me" experiences. I still prefer to mic one of my cabs (TC30) rather than use IRs. I can get very close, but not close enough.

...And, interestingly, this is what led me to an obsessive investigation into why IR use is the key factor in my displeasure with "non-real amp in the room with me" experiences. I still prefer to mic one of my cabs (TC30) rather than use IRs. I can get very close, but not close enough.

Fair enough - and as you noted prior, it's personal preference. I'd imagine that Tone Matching might well get you the 'rest of the way' to being close enough.

...what the heck, how can I trust what I'm dialing in will cut live? Three things changed though...was playing a new SG I bought, we had a new Peavey board (to replace the Yamaha), and I changed my IRs to a mix of Ownhammer SM57 and TC30 (separate IRs, not the mix and match 8 I had been using).
That's potentially huge, especially the IR change. You pretty much have to dial in again when you change IRs.

Been busy with real life and gigging, etc..

It's coming. Trying to make it clear, concise and to the point.

what pray tell then, might be the solution

im all ears

what pray tell then, might be the solution

im all ears
Ongoing investigation.
The problems are fascinating though. On one hand, there is the immense amount of knowledge required to understand not just how IRs work (as a means to better implement them, what convolution *method* to use, etc), but also as a matter of obtaining IRs that most closely represent a *cab* that would please your ear (proper environment is but one essential, vital ingredient). On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Scott Peterson said:
That's a James Tyler Variax USA. I love it, it's a workhorse guitar.

I just sold a Charvel San Dimas and a Variax Acoustic on ebay and used the funds to get the same guitar. I'm liking it so far. I think it will be a great go-to gigging guitar. I still prefer my Les Paul and Suhr most of the time, but as a swiss army knife guitar, it's pretty versatile. I really like the quick tuning changes. I don't use the alternate tones so much when I'm just messing around with it, but it's cool to be able to quickly switch from an acoustic drop Db to a les paul to a baritone sitar and back again with a few switches. With that and the AxeFx, the only limitation would be the player.

i think he runs them in mono through one speaker

If that's the case summing to mono would suffice.

Panning the cabs to center makes sure the basic tone through Left and Right is the same.
As you want it to be running through studio monitors and FOH.
Stereo signal is still possible, by placing stereo fx after the Cab.

Scott's not running in stereo. He uses a stereo cab so he can blend two IRs together without eating up a second cab block.

Scott,

Great info. Just curious on the cabs why you pan them in the center if you are running them in stereo?

i think he runs them in mono through one speaker

If that's the case summing to mono would suffice.

Panning the cabs to center makes sure the basic tone through Left and Right is the same.
As you want it to be running through studio monitors and FOH.
Stereo signal is still possible, by placing stereo fx after the Cab.

Scott's not running in stereo. He uses a stereo cab so he can blend two IRs together without eating up a second cab block.

All the above.

I run mono for recording and live; and I pan the cabs center to both 'marry' the NF/FF that I prefer *and* also save adding another cab block.

I do run the output as stereo and have stereo effects (as Yek points out) that make the signal stereo.

But (here's where I am a whacko) I only run one side to FOH and the other to my personal powered monitor. It works for me.

Scott,

thank you for this simple advice. I really just use an amp and a cab most of the time and usually it sounds so good, it's a joy to play for hours. But your simple tweak advice has opened it up even more.

Thanks!!!

Scott, if I may ask, with 6.00, will this video still be 100% relevant ? Or will there be new parameters to play with, or another approach needed to tweak some parameters ? Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom