suhr badger in 7.00

On amps like the Badger, how do the AxeFx's drive and master knobs relate to the amp's Drive and Gain knobs?

Based on the videos it looks like Drive=AxeFx Master and Gain=AxeFx Drive?

I get similar tone and gain to this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBUxUB-6qjw

To get more gain I used the Boost and Bright switch as a quick way to add a little more.
Using WCR PAF humbuckers in LP style guitar.
Yep, I nailed the tones in that clip with the 1960B V30 RW (no mic, no motor drive, lowcut 127Hz, hicut 12800Hz). Nice clean tones in there.

And it sounds freaking fantastic with Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR (http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2.html).

Last edited:
Or possibly GG.

gordon-gekko1.jpg

Wow...
The guy owns a big ass cell phone AND an AxeFX II.
"Greed is good" indeed.

On amps like the Badger, how do the AxeFx's drive and master knobs relate to the amp's Drive and Gain knobs?

Based on the videos it looks like Drive=AxeFx Master and Gain=AxeFx Drive?

IIRC, for amps like these, with two preamp gain stages,

AxeFx II Amp Block Input Level = Drive (or preamp stage 1)

AxeFx II Amp Block Drive = Gain (or preamp stage 2)

Richard

Last edited:
Interesting, I was really impressed with it because it wasn't a high gain monster like I kind of thought that it would be. I went into it thinking that it would tear my head off and it clearly does not. I love the high gain models we have, but this is really in the direction that my tone is going. Anyway, I futzed around for about 2-5 minutes with tweaking just to put it in an old patch I had and swapped the cabs out. I ended up playing it all night and tried out the new reverb and stuff as well, but I really like the Badger a lot.

So long story short I get on youtube to see what the thing sounds like in the hands of a professional and I found Pete's demo. I wasn't dead balls on exact because I was using a different cab, but I was a whole lot closer than I would have ever imagined.

I was suprised that it didn't have a lot of gain like some of the you-tube video, still sounds nice though.Haven't tried with a pedal yet
Update ,Tried with some settings above and a rat pedal ,Singing ,not real high gain but nice :D

Last edited:
The amount of gain is really gonna depend on which version it is modeled after. The 30 and the 18 are very different amps. I think the 18 is more unique and I bit more special sounding for my money (I've owned both, kept the 18). The 18 can get gainy, but the magic in this amp comes from the clean/just breaking up sounds. You can hit the front end with a gain or boost pedal and achieve a good rock rhythm sound if desired. The 30 will more happily get you into Marshall levels of gain without any help, but I don't think the 30 has that magical clean sound that is so amazing in the 18.

So which Badger is this supposed to be?

Here is a couple of Badgers in action

http://www.youtube.com/embed/148RRXZc1mU

To be honest, I didn't like it much either and I have a real Badger, a Badger 35 to be exact, and it feels so great to play. I love plugging into it. It's amazing how one amp could do so many cool things and feels so satisfying.

And I owe it to the man in that video, not Steve, but the backup guitar player, Pete. That was a nice surprise. Didn't know he played with Steve.

Had just spent 5 hours running the sure weasel through different IRs. I tend toward high gain but still like dynamics and nuances to shine through and this amp sim does it in spades. I engage the boost and dime the gain and dime a love pedal out front and still can't muddy the tone. It seems to want to stay organic. I found 3 or 4 ways to get grit and growl. Currently running into SLM v30 OH with an added 57 mic for grit. Its funny how hard you try to screw up the tone and it wants to stay organic.

I think this amp sim deserves some serious attention and should not be glossed over as i am finding some serious tonal nirvana hidden in it. Thumbs up cliff!

I have an 18 watt, serial #013. Bought it because it's an expressive, subtle, musical amp and I had to have that power scaling. It's well made and looks sharp. Very happy Suhr was on board for this and looking forward to having it inside the Axe-Fx.

Here my badger I put together tonight:

Hunting Badgers
that sounded fantastic!
how are you getting your gain? also what cab are you running?
haven't had much luck dialing in a tone i like with the sure weasel..

also, i am getting a popping noise if i engaged a drive block in front.
don't have the problem with the other amp models, eg the double verb, be, hbe, brit super..

Ask Enzo Sutera, it seems he gave the schematic.

For the Robben Ford / Michael Landau fans, this seemed to be Mike's gear for one of the recent albums:
Renegade Creation 2010:
1963 Fender Strat (fiesta red)
1968 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
1963 Gibson SG with Bigsby ("Where the wind Blows" only)
Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion
Lovepedal COT50 Red
Lovepedal Eternity FUSE
Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble
Suhr Badger 18
Kerry Wright 4x12" Celestion 65w greenbacks openback

Hey guys a few of you asked what cab, and personally I was fooling around with the Boutique 2x12 with drive/bass/mid/treble all at noon and the master at 9. Sounded absolutely fantastic, one of my new favorite amps now!

Funny I find the Badger and the Leeds to be much quieter than all the other models when scrolling through.

Back
Top Bottom