Studio Speakers or FRFR?

How is the speaker setup different from the cab setup?

Are you using balanced cables to the monitors?
So my Friedman was sitting on top of an Auralex Gramma previously. The Monitors are sitting on stands with foam isolation pads.

I use Mogami XLR going from the Axe to the monitors.

So my Friedman was sitting on top of an Auralex Gramma previously. The Monitors are sitting on stands with foam isolation pads.

And the amps that you can dial the mud out of?

The reason I ask is that the "mud" you're complaining about could come from nothing but speaker placement, and you almost certainly didn't put guitar cabs the same place you put monitors. IOW, it could be room effects and you effectively got lucky with the guitar cabs.

I use Mogami XLR going from the Axe to the monitors.

That's really weird that they're picking up noise. I don't understand that.

And the amps that you can dial the mud out of?

The reason I ask is that the "mud" you're complaining about could come from nothing but speaker placement, and you almost certainly didn't put guitar cabs the same place you put monitors. IOW, it could be room effects and you effectively got lucky with the guitar cabs.

That's really weird that they're picking up noise. I don't understand that.
Ya I don't know man. Prior to my Fractal years I had owned a Diezel VH4, PRS Archon, Fender Twin Reverb and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and never had issues dialing in great tones very quick in the same space.

Again, maybe I'm just Fractal illiterate.

Ya I don't know man. Prior to my Fractal years I had owned a Diezel VH4, PRS Archon, Fender Twin Reverb and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and never had issues dialing in great tones very quick in the same space.

Does music sound good through the speakers?

I mean....I guess that's possible. But, it really isn't hard to get a good basic sound without really touching anything but the authentic controls in the amp block and picking one SM57 IR for the cab block that is of a cab you would use with the amp.

....especially if you're listening like you would a guitar amp....which pretty much means plugging into only one of the studio monitors and putting it where you would put a guitar amp. It's not "the same", but it's shockingly similar to just turning down the amp with a master volume that IMHO sacrifices less of the turned-up sound.

I am quite fond of my Laney 2x12 FRFR and it stands up quite well compared to a real guitar cab. I tend to filter out everything below 80hz and anywhere from 6500-8000hz on the high end with a PEQ after the cab

If you want the Fractal to sound like your amps running through a live guitar cab in the room with you, run a Fractal amp model into a good power amp and a live guitar cab in the room with you. No modeler can magically transform studio monitors or any other speaker into a cranked up guitar cab. When you run direct with the Fractal using a cab block you're recreating the signal from a mic on a guitar cab in another room, monitored through whatever speakers you're using. This is a much different sound than a live guitar cab in the room with you and many people mistakenly blame the modeler for the different monitoring paradigm. If you've ever recorded real amps in a real studio you know the sound you experience in the live room with the actual cab is much different than the signal from the mic on that cab through the monitors in the control room.

Acoustic treatment is crucially important for accuracy but I wouldn't bother with it if you aren't recording, dialing in tones for live use, or trying to match recorded album tones.

Midi carries no audio. What’s midi feedback?
MIDI feedback is where a MIDI command gets repeated through a piece of gear which then gets repeated in another price of gear which gets repeated again and eventually gets back to the original piece of gear, which starts the process all over again.

It get a beeping sound coming through the monitors. I contacted RJM about this and they said this is caused by un-shielded midi cables. Supposedly the monitors can pick up the Midi transmitting back and for between the foot controller and the Fractal. I spent the money and bought premium Best-Tronics cables and it solved nothing unfortunetly.
First I ever heard of this but if Ron says so, he’d be the one to know.

MIDI feedback is where a MIDI command gets repeated through a piece of gear which then gets repeated in another price of gear which gets repeated again and eventually gets back to the original piece of gear, which starts the process all over again.
Does this actually happen? I have never experienced it.

It can but it has nothing to do with the problem the user was experiencing -- wrong term. He was experiencing audible transmission noise typically caused by leakage from midi cables.
Ya that's what RJM told me, I originally had D'Addario Midi cables as they were advertised as shielded. I reached out to RJM and they even went as far as testing out the same brand cables and determined that D'Addario didn't have great shielding. That's when they recommended I procure some midi cables through Best-Tronics as they are alledgedly thw best you can buy. So I did that and it solved nothing.

If you want the Fractal to sound like your amps running through a live guitar cab in the room with you, run a Fractal amp model into a good power amp and a live guitar cab in the room with you. No modeler can magically transform studio monitors or any other speaker into a cranked up guitar cab. When you run direct with the Fractal using a cab block you're recreating the signal from a mic on a guitar cab in another room, monitored through whatever speakers you're using. This is a much different sound than a live guitar cab in the room with you and many people mistakenly blame the modeler for the different monitoring paradigm. If you've ever recorded real amps in a real studio you know the sound you experience in the live room with the actual cab is much different than the signal from the mic on that cab through the monitors in the control room.

Acoustic treatment is crucially important for accuracy but I wouldn't bother with it if you aren't recording, dialing in tones for live use, or trying to match recorded album tones.
I think a lot of folks trying to help me out are mistaking what I'm saying. I'm not looking specifically for the "amp in a room" sound. And if I want that, I still have the Friedman which gets close to that type of sound. My issue is that every factory preset, every preset on Axe-Change sounds like a$$. Everything sounds muffled regardless of how much I try and dial it out. If it's via the Friedman, it's boomy and muffled. If it's through the Adams, it's thin and muffled.

I think a lot of folks trying to help me out are mistaking what I'm saying. I'm not looking specifically for the "amp in a room" sound. And if I want that, I still have the Friedman which gets close to that type of sound. My issue is that every factory preset, every preset on Axe-Change sounds like a$$. Everything sounds muffled regardless of how much I try and dial it out. If it's via the Friedman, it's boomy and muffled. If it's through the Adams, it's thin and muffled.
Muffled being the common denominator of your complaint. The AxeFX has no less than a dozen tools to address muddiness. What it cant do is correct a boomy room that is making sonic mud.

Try connecting your stuff in another room. See if you get better results.

Are you sure you’re running the same firmware the preset was made on?

If not it’ll most likely sound different than intended due to updates to the modelling algorithms that produce the sound.

To address muddiness other than a simple EQ curve …if all else fails

Try maybe a factory reset to your unit and reinstall everything including new up to date firmware , there maybe a global setting you did that induces that muddiness (or check every block that has an EQ parameter including Out blocks)

The obvious answer is both. Nothing beats a good set of studio monitors (or phones) for dialing in your base tones, as well as the right tones for recording. But then you need to port them to FRFR's and FOH outputs for live volumes (hopefully by using global EQ adjustments only).

It's never an either or situation for me. If it is you might be hobbling yourself in your tone design workflow.

Are you sure you’re running the same firmware the preset was made on?

If not it’ll most likely sound different than intended due to updates to the modelling algorithms that produce the sound.

To address muddiness other than a simple EQ curve …if all else fails

Try maybe a factory reset to your unit and reinstall everything including new up to date firmware , there maybe a global setting you did that induces that muddiness (or check every block that has an EQ parameter including Out blocks)
I'm running the latest firmware with whatever the last iteration of Factory Presets was.

Back
Top Bottom