Streetching Strings!! jezzazzzzz

sprada

Inspired
It's fun to have several guitars and all but usually I end up playing just one for some weeks because I hate to change strings.
Really, hate it. But I also hate to play with worn out strings.

What's your "technique" to stretch new strings? Or do you even stretch at all?

Cheers.

Confucius say: Do not stretch string! This cause string to loose intonation properties. Instead, buy good quality string - D'Addario XL are really good. Just play and tune up a few times and you're done.

I have the same issue. I have over 20 guitars and basses and can't really afford to change strings on all of them or the time to do it. I probably have 15 of them in cases w/ a broken string.

When I change strings I always replace one string at a time, tune it up, stretch it, then replace the next one, unless the neck needs a good cleaning, then I take them all off at once.

The way I stretch strings is I figure out how far a distance a string needs to be bent to raise the pitch 3 notes higher, which is usually about 2 string spacings. I then bend the string up, down and pull it away from the fret board that distance on the 5th, 12th and last fret, retune and repeat this process until the string stays in tune.

I also recommend using Dunlop Formula 65 Ultraglide String Conditioner. Make sure if you buy it, you grab the right one bc they have multiple different cleaners that all say Formula 65 and look the same. It keeps my string clean and sounding new. I recently pulled out a guitar w/ almost 10 year old strings on it, cleaned them w/ this stuff and they sounded almost new. I used to use the GHS string cleaner but like this stuff better bc it doesn't dry out and has a built in applicator.

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Accessories :: :: Ultraglide 65 String Conditioner

Also, when I tune I bend my strings up or down 2 notes higher at the 12th fret to make sure the string isn't stuck on the nut. This resolves the tuning issues I used to have bc I'd be in perfect tune but as soon as I started bending strings I could sometimes hear a string popping noise at the nut and then I'd be out of tune.

Hope this helps!

Lol really?! Once per year?
After a couple of weeks with no play they usually feel and sound like s**t!

Spend a day changing all the strings on all the guitars ...... (sigh!)

Pull up in the middle between bridge and nut after getting close to their intended pitch. Not far and not too hard. Then play them in. Use a nut/bridge lube and the Dunlop U65 which seems to extend the life and keeps them clean. Always wipe string off with a microfiber after playing ...

I only change strings when I need to.. too many guitars to do on a regular basis...
so I tend to only change strings on those that'll be getting used specifically for a session / tour and so need to sound all nice and bright and lovely..
the others get changed when I notice they're no good anymore... so the strings on my lesser used guitars can get pretty old..

I always stretch them in... if you don't, and you are a Floyd user [which I am], you'll have no end of tuning probs until they settle down..

- tune the string to pitch
- take the string between thumb, and the 1st and 2nd fingers and wiggle the string quick firmly side to side, working your way along the full length of the string from the bridge to the nut..
- the string will go flat, so tune to pitch and repeat
- when the string no longer flattens from the streching, it's stretched in

then to the same to all the others one by one..

I never have [rarely have] tuning / stability problems
and I never have intonation probs..

also.. when changing strings I do all of the other 'guitar love'..
- inspect bridge saddles, blades and posts for wear / burring and fix if need be
- clean and oil the fingerboards [not the ebony or ziracote one's cos they're self oiling]
- polish the frets
- wire wool, oil and beeswax polish the unfinished maple necks [only applies to my Morgans]
- clean, polish and inspect the guitar all over.. general TLC stuff...

Last edited:
Lol really?! Once per year?
After a couple of weeks with no play they usually feel and sound like s**t!

Well when you have 30 guitars like luke does, that actually equates to less than two weeks for each one!
laughing.gif

I stretch the hell outta my strings when I change them; haven't had any intonation issues. I string it up, tune to pitch, grab the string with both of my thumbs on the bass side/fingers on treble and bend. I do that in a couple spots, tune, bend, ect...

Something I only discovered recently is that this little Planet Waves string winder/cutter that I have had for years...

1748836c-8dd4-834e-d5eb-358c46d8aecb.jpg

...has a built in string stretcher in the groove (top of above pic)...

tumblr_m8gmiyh24b1r4o4r6o1_500.jpg

lil' note

never cut strings when they at tension.. the sudden release of tension is not good..

slacken them first....

I stretch them. I stretch each string as I change them (I change them one at a time). I grip the string at fret 12 then gently apply tension to stretch. After all strings are changed, I again stretch them, then tune to pitch. I actually like changing strings. I'm not Luke, but I have a pretty extensive guitar collection. I change strings as needed rather than all at once. When I change strings, I check each instrument for intonation, cleanliness, etc. That way they are always in top shape and ready to go. It also reminds me why I bought them.

often pull the string up (perpendicular to fretboard) - but sometimes think that may not be the best mechanism to perform on the neck of your guitar.
it may be easier on the neck to stretch strings in by doing some very wide "bends" i.e. tug/push the strings in a sideways action parallel to fretboard.

I know a lot of people that do this... a couple of thoughts..

I stretch them. I stretch each string as I change them (I change them one at a time).

there's really no need to do this 'one by one' approach
it's slower and you have little to gain from it..
I've never seen a luthier do this..
and you will not be able to polish the frets...

polishing the frets is important so that the contact points are nice and clean
and polished frets also feel a great deal better when you are playing..
try using a cotton bud to wipe a little polish over each fret [being careful to not get any on the fingerboard]
then polish off with a soft, dry cloth
it's just enough to take off the layer of oxide and guck that builds up on the fret crown..
it really makes a difference

just ensure that when you remove the strings that you wind off all the tension before cutting them
or if you have a whammie, dive-bomb them slack and then cut them..
all you need to avoid is the sudden release of tension.. most likely won't do any harm, but certainly won't do any good..

After changing my strings, I stretch them by laying the gee-tar on the floor and jumping up and down on the whammy bar for a few mins
YMMV :roll

Clarky,

I too polish my frets, but what I've found that works great and have been using for years is NeverDull wadding. I make sure to clean the fretboard up with some naptha afterwards and then treat it with some lemon oil, but nothing beats new strings and polished frets.

An old joke comes to mind. "How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?" :)

While I'm here.....

I clip each string just exactly center of the end of the fret board and where the string rests on the saddle. So yes each cut will follow the contour of the intonation. The real magic comes from a handcrafted wire cutter hand made from hand forged hand picked #666 steel. I found a monk in Tibet who uses an ancient scroll to summon this rare gauge metal straight from the depths of hell (or so he claims).

I find that snapping the strings in such a manner jostles the moleculer structure of the wood and really opens up the tone. And only, I do mean ONLY, do those snips cut the string fast enough to release every ounce of the string's tension to give it the whiplash effect strong enough to open the neck's true tonal potential. It really does work. Really. My dog howls after every string change. And you know dogs can hear things humans can't. Really, they can.

You guys can see the rest of my stringing techniques in this months "Stringer's Digest". :lol

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom