Something’s going on for me here. I need help.

Let’s say I set up amp1 & amp2 how I want on scene 1. I get to scene 2 and things are going great, still have amps on the same channel but amp2 isn’t in the mix anymore. After double checking everything possible, I switch back to scene 1, it still sounds like the dual amp scene is set up prior to moving onto scene 2. What’s up with scene 2?? Why is the amp suddenly mute? The whole chain for that amp is bypassed for unknown reasons.

This isn’t something I’m experiencing explicitly with amps, either. It happened with my delay block tonight. It behaved on the fully functioning scene as I had set it—kind of dialed into the background—and on the same channel on scene 2 I was like, so this delay is on the same channel, but now it’s playing loud, pronounced, default delays on this scene?! Again, double check, go back to scene 1… delay is how I had it set there.

Same channel on amp blocks, same channels on cab blocks. Not much else going on in the way of blocks. No funky levels, everything still nearly default. Happened to me on another preset I was creating with just amps and cabs set up and I became furious and abandoned the preset.

What the blazes is happening here? Can I fix this? Am I doing something stupid or what? How the heck can this be! I barely dig into scene 2 before this stuff starts happening, and resetting blocks etc doesn’t help.

It feels like there’s either a bug in the Axe or a bug in my brain. I’m pretty procedural and meticulous with what I do. I don’t usually move on until I’ve made my mistakes learning to do one thing. I feel very comfortable building presets. This feels new since the latest update. I don’t recall the exact version number, but i know as of tonight there’s no update because I checked.

Please, help. :)

I will upload the example patch later. I shut down the Axe and powered back on to no avail, reset problem blocks etc to no avail. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Page over to the Meters view on the front panel.

You'll see exactly where the signal is stopping.

My suspicion is you have a block bypassed somewhere with Bypass Mode set to Mute.

OK--Preset is here for you. I will also mention that on Scene 3 with Amp1 bypassed/muted, Amp2 has extreme latency, and sounds very bizarre and quiet on my Axe. What find ye? Like I said this happened to me once on a prior and barebones patch, not that this one is much more complex yet. Amp2 tends to become high-latency and tinny / quiet. I had to turn Amp2 (recto1) up to even hear how awful it sounds.

Attachments

• ExampleOfFailure.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
i'm not at my gear but i can see that Amp 1 Bypass mode is set to Thru for many channels. make sure all channels for amps are set to MUTE for Bypass Mode for this kind of setup.

I definitely do like setting them to mute for bypass mode, but just to be clear, I'm saying Amp 2 without fail will NOT be bypassed, but even though its the only amp on the chain it suddenly is not getting sound. Looking at the monitor didn't reveal anything to me. Looks the same on a working preset as with my broken preset. I just created a new preset to see where I was going wrong, and again--suddenly out of nowhere Amp 2 is no longer in the equation despite all reason. This is really cramping my style. I'm not saying it's not possibly me, but I definitely need help here, lol.

I definitely do like setting them to mute for bypass mode, but just to be clear, I'm saying Amp 2 without fail will NOT be bypassed, but even though its the only amp on the chain it suddenly is not getting sound. Looking at the monitor didn't reveal anything to me. Looks the same on a working preset as with my broken preset. I just created a new preset to see where I was going wrong, and again--suddenly out of nowhere Amp 2 is no longer in the equation despite all reason. This is really cramping my style. I'm not saying it's not possibly me, but I definitely need help here, lol.
yup i'll look when i'm done with my day job.

Seems to be working ok for me. The only things I notice are like Chris said, your bypass modes are different between channels, the clean amp in Scene 1 is much louder, and your reverb is changing channels in Scene 2 so you don't hear much of your delay at all.

Amp 2 seems to be working normally for me. Maybe try reloading the Firmware on your III. Maybe something is jacked up with the Amp 2 block on yours.

I feel like something is off for sure. Is there a recommended way of kinda getting a "fresh start" on this? I admit my preset was barely being thrown together when things got weird, so yeah... Kinda not my best work.

Update: I've also come to find that Axe Edit will show me that I have an Amp bypassed (Mute mode) but in fact is still passing signal through. I had to un-bypass re-bypass to reset that little issue.

Update: I've also come to find that Axe Edit will show me that I have an Amp bypassed (Mute mode) but in fact is still passing signal through. I had to un-bypass re-bypass to reset that little issue.
Which FW version Axe-Edit version are you using?

I have a raging clue for you guys..

I know now there’s some wonky thing happening when I pan a cab full right. At anything > 0 it goes mute. I cannot find any setting that makes sense of that. I was following a YouTube video on setting up dual amps to learn some new tricks when this started popping up.

How are you monitoring?

Is your Output Mode set to Stereo?

Do you have left and right outputs connected to separate speakers?

What is the Cab block Input Mode?

Do you have 2 IRs active in the Cab block?

i tried your preset. it sounds "correct" on my setup.

but i'm in stereo with left and right outputs.

what you're describing sounds like you either use one output, the Left output only, or you have Copy L > R in Setup > I/O on the front panel. if you pan something Right and it turns down or goes away, that means you aren't hearing the Right output somehow.

I am running stereo monitors, and was trying a stereo cab, and I believe you are correct. I didn’t see the markers for L and R in the IR slots until now. Lol.

Still, what is the explanation for a scene suddenly making one amp have Uber latency and tinny distorted sound? Turning off and on sometimes helps if I recall, but it happens.

I am running stereo monitors, and was trying a stereo cab, and I believe you are correct. I didn’t see the markers for L and R in the IR slots until now. Lol.

Still, what is the explanation for a scene suddenly making one amp have Uber latency and tinny distorted sound? Turning off and on sometimes helps if I recall, but it happens.
i did not experience this with my setup with the preset as is.

since you are only using 1 IR per cab, you don't need to set them to stereo - you are panning each cab block (the IR in the block) so each cab is technically Mono.

the clean sound on the Left side of Scene 1 is much louder than the high gain sound on the Right side. going to Scene 2 from there, it sounds quiet because the Left side now with a high gain sound matches the level of Right side, which did not change at all.

again, on my system, everything worked "correctly", as programmed, as-is without any changes. i didn't have any latency or tinny sound.

definitely check your Output Mode in Setup > I/O for Output 1.

you say you have stereo monitors - you have XLR from Out 1 Left and Right jack directly into each monitor? or do you have something in between?

Back
Top Bottom