Strange behavior using Axe Edit & Deconstructing User Presets

Matt Steele

Experienced
Hey all you Axe masters… I’m a new user trying to get my head around how others are crafting their presets and I’ve been coming across some very strange things happening and I was wondering if you could suggest some tips.

I’ve been loading some found user presets for the sake of learning from how they were created, specifically Ola Englund’s tone matched presets. You can see his You Tube video here of his presets…

Axe Fx 2 Tone Matching - Ola style - YouTube

What I’m experiencing when loading these presets is strange. The presets have ample amount of gain, but when I’m looking at the actual settings of the preset, it does not appear what I’m seeing in Axe Edit is possible. He has a drive and an amp creating the gain, but the gain on the drive is zero and the gain on the amps is VERY low. Around a setting of 1! Is it that Axe Edit is showing me incorrect values? Am I doing something incorrect? I’m wondering because I also checked the values on the Axe itself and they match what Axe Edit says they are. Also, if I switch the amp type and return back to the previous amp again, all the gain disappears even though all the values within the amp stay the same as before I change the amp type. After I change the amp, the values sound more in line with what I would expect to be hearing from such low numeric values.

Can anyone help give me some suggestions as to what might be happening? Much appreciated!

Matt - you stated that the values in AxeEdit match what is displayed on the Axe. If it sounds correct, then maybe it is. Hard to tell without listening to the preset and just from reading your post.

i've tried some of Ola's presets and i have to say they have some quite unconventional settings.

Matt - you stated that the values in AxeEdit match what is displayed on the Axe. If it sounds correct, then maybe it is. Hard to tell without listening to the preset and just from reading your post.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the settings were correct from Axe Edit to the actual Axe FX II unit. But it just doesn't seem possible that the preset has as much gain as it does with a gain setting around 1! Unless there is some other control somewhere else that can increase the gain by a large amount, which I just don't know about yet.

Can anyone tell me on your system if you simply change amps and do not modify any of the amps settings, and then go back to the original amp, does it still sound the same? That is what is going on with Ola's presets for me. All the gain disappears when I switch back to the original amp he had selected, but all the settings are the same as before I switched the amp. No gain!

EDIT: Actually was thinking about an easy way for you guys to understand what I'm trying to say... If you watch Ola's videos, he's playing his tone matched presets. You can hear how much gain he's getting from them. His amp settings are gain around 1 and a drive pedal gain of zero. Is that possible to attain that kind of gain with those settings??? I think NOT!

Last edited:
Try using Axe-Manage to load the patch into the Axe-Fx and then use the front panel to see if the settings on the device match the settings you see when you open the same patch in Axe-Edit.

Try using Axe-Manage to load the patch into the Axe-Fx and then use the front panel to see if the settings on the device match the settings you see when you open the same patch in Axe-Edit.

hi Sean. That's what i did. I actually even saved the presets to the Axe and the values are the same as what I see in Axe edit. Super low gain values, but the sound has a ton of gain. If I change to a different amp and change back, the gain is gone.

It's as if the preset is telling the Axe to use a different gain amount than what is displayed, but then when the amp changes and goes back, it wakes up the Axe and it begins really using the true parameter. I feel like the Axe and Axe Edit are lying to me until I switch the amp and switch it back.

i agree. i've seen one of his patches where gain and master were on 10 and input trim was all the way down to nothing. i said he was unconventional...! :)

Just to report... This issue did resolve itself somehow. I'm guessing after saving the patches to the hardware, powering everything down and restarting helped to give positive readings. The patches gave totally different numeric values for the gain specifically. Not sure of any other settings changing. Before the reboot, the gain setting specifically on Ola's MKIV preset was set a little above 1. After saving the preset to the hardware and restarting, the gain setting was over 7. Hopefully this is just an issue with Ola's presets and not something to do with my hardware.

It didn't make any sense to me the preset would have that much gain with the input trim set to 0 and the amp gain of 1. At least I'm not crazy.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom