Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

That's an intriguing pedal. If I were to augment my FM3 with anything, it'd be either that or a Beebo/Digit.
The H9 is a very cool unit. I‘ve had it for at least 5 years. I got it mostly for the pitch effects, but the delays and reverbs are nice too. The Synth algorithms are good. I have to admit you just made me aware of the Beebo. That looks very intriguing. I’ll have to look into it more, but what I checked out so far the synth engine seems very cool. With a screen the price isn’t bad. You pretty much need to rely on the software editor for the H9. Everything can be controlled with the buttons, but a smartphone or iPad makes it great. Amazing how many cool gadgets are out there.👍

I haven't decided yet.

On the one hand I'm already more than happy with FM3, on the other hand I like to experiment and I won't deny that sometimes the CPU limits have blocked me.

The size deters me, in this aspect FM3 is practically perfect and if you need to expand there are a thousand options.

In my opinion, in the future, a winning solution could be an FM3 mk2 and FC6/9 with DSP expansion that increases the capacity of the FM3 when connected, or some other kind of expansion (like UAD products).

Anyway, my doubts at the moment are these:

FM3
FM9
SizeJust perfectToo big, almost like 2 FM3
SwitchesI paired the FM3 with a MC6, but I barely use it. I never considered pairing the FM3 with a FC6 (size and price)More is better (?)
DSPWith FW 4.01 there are factory presets that hit the CPU limit and some of my presets that become unusable.This is the main plus for me. I asked to compare a preset that reached 83% on the FM3 and the FM9 reached 66% with an extra delay block.
Future-proofIf with FW 4.01 the FM3 reached some kind of limit I fear that, even if supported, won't stay on pair forever. FM3 is 2 YO, Axe-Fx III (mk II) 1 YO. So, it is the older on the marketIt is the new product, I assume it took advantage from all the years of testing and using of the other 2 in the family.

I am sticking with FM3 mainly because it will be a good while until it hits the dealers in my country! :p

Truth is, I don't plan to move to FM9. I am a simple man when it comes to tone, and the FM3 covers all my needs easily.

The extra switches on the FM9 are sweet, but the size of the FM3 is great too. The FM9 is more convenient, while the FM3+FC6 combo is more flexible as you can leave the FC6 behind if you don't need it and don't want to carry it for whatever reason.

So I think Fractal does good in keep both models, different people, different needs!

I have to admit you just made me aware of the Beebo. That looks very intriguing.
Poly first marketed them as separate units (actually separate operating systems since both could reside in the same unit simultaneously and you could chose which one to utilize, obviously in a bid to sell you both), but my understanding is that the operating systems have merged into one unit. One cool feature is that you can capture your own space and make a reverb. So say you found some concert hall or church with awesome acoustics, you could make a capture of it and always use it. Leon Todd is a fan which says a lot.

I'm considering getting rid of my FM3 and just sticking with my Axe3. If FM9 gets global blocks I might consider buying, but not having global blocks on the FM3 makes it very difficult and highly impractical for me to use in any kind of live situation, as I have a dedicated preset for each song, and having to edit up to 30 presets during soundcheck before playing each new venue is unrealistic. FM9 could potentially be used for flying gigs, but I'll wait until I see other forum members comment on their long time experience with it.

I love the compact format of the FM3 and have enough processing power to run pretty much all I want. Through views I end up having plenty of switches... So... FM9 is actually a great addition to the Fractal shop but I will stick to FM3 because it's small and it's enough for my needs. Voila.

Last edited:
Currently have both the FXIII (mk 1) and FM3 (headphones). Gonna be picking up the FM9 since I've been thinking about getting an FC6, gonna hook my buddy up with the FM3 at a discount, since he's been wanting to get into the Fractal world.

Just a thought; I have an AXFXIII and an FM3, I'm on the G66 waitilist for the FM9

What happens if you connect them all together?!?

Do you get a virtual Cliff appear and congratulate on completing the quest?

Do you unlock the Klon that's hidden in the code?

Or, I'm pretty sure I'll have a rig for all most every single tonal need!!!!!

FM3 is perfect for my needs... my only concern is that the development of the sw will be ralentized and some expected improvements (specially the virtual capo) may never arrive.

But is a great move for FA... people wanted more power and switches and they delivered at a nice price.

I'll be buying an FM9. Mostly so I can see a @Marco Fanton preset not tickle the red. Kidding Marco! Love your presets, buddy!

In all seriousness, it's mostly the additional power. I've considered an Axe FX 3, but my needs are pretty modest. I'm not trying to duplicate Frank Zappa's signal chain or anything. The FM3 meets my needs pretty well, but as a home player, I don't really work from a "preset per song, scene per section" paradigm. I choose a preset that fits what I'm playing and switch effects in and out as needed. So I like the idea of having a couple more blocks available to play with. I also like the idea of Ultra-High quality reverbs without worrying about CPU--though that's really more in the realm of nuance to me.

While I'm not counting on the updated Pitch block making it to the FM9, there's arguably a better possibility of it happening than with the FM3, due to CPU. And this may prove to be true of other things in the future. None of them would probably be deal breakers for me, but I'm sure I would enjoy them.

I actually don't care much about dual amps--for my own presets, anyway. And I don't know what I would do with 2 reverbs. But I'm sure others will create presets utilizing those things that I will really enjoy.

I used the FM3 with an MC6 for a while, but didn't really like the limitations with midi interactivity between devices--the MC6 not knowing which effects were on when a preset is loaded, for example, so effects state toggles were not accurate. When OMG15 became a thing, I moved up to the FC12. I was afraid it would be overkill, but I'm so glad to have the extra switches. I could have just used the FM3 alone, but I enjoy it more with the FC12. So I could sell the FM3 and FC12 and be within spitting distance of the FM9 cost, while downsizing and increasing DSP. That works for me.

I don't really think I'll have trouble getting used to 9 switches as opposed to 15, but I could always keep the FC12, too, if it proves to be that useful. I'm not really worried that the bottom is going to fall out of the FC12 market any time soon, so holding on to it for a while is still kind of just money in the bank.

Last edited:
Still would need to spend over $700 because of used gear sale netting only 55 to 60% of new price. Don't kid yourselves, folks, the market will be glutted with FM3s soon and sales prices will be competitive.
+1 on this. I just did the math - and I was told there would be no math =0) Given the price I paid for my FM3 and FC-6 setup. plus the backup setup, just to get more processing power - and the only thing I really would like is a second reverb, its just not worth it yet. Very cool product though - just came out a year too late for me. Lol.

I love my FM3. Mainly for the sound and feel. But tbh I was originally hoping we`d get the power of the FM3, but in the AX8 floor controller format. I want the easier access controlwise that 9 buttons will allow. And 3 buttons only means way too much to think about/tap dancing for me. The FM9 is exactly what I was hoping/wishing for.

I thought it might be interesting to see some different viewpoints here. Since The release of the FM9, I'm sure many have asked themselves this question! the FM9 looks like an amazing device and much closer as a successor to the AX8. It also has double the processing power of both the AX8 and FM3 allowing it to run 2 amp blocks, 2 reverbs, and a few more things all at the expense of slightly larger size (or smaller if you currently use an FC6 with your FM3!)

The FM3 has worked quite well for me and I plan on sticking with it for now. 1 amp and 1 economy reverb hasn't hindered me from having the best sound/playing experience I have ever had. Plus, I travel for work pretty often, and the FM3, MC6, and expression pedal fit into a small backpack. The FM9 would likely push me over my flight weight limit (its pretty strictly enforced on the plane we fly on). A also generally run the FM3 on the desk next to me with the MC6 on the floor, and the FM9 would be a bit bulky for that in my case as well.

But maybe at some point in the future I will upgrade to the FM9. What are your guys thoughts/reasons for staying FM3 or going FM9?
I enjoy the FM3 a lot. The form factor is perfect for my needs and I don’t really need more power at the moment. I will stick to the FM3 for the time being, although I find the FM9 a good addition to the Fractal family.

Back
Top Bottom