VaggelisPRS

Hello guys, I'm new to the world of @FractalAudio ! I'm a session guitarist in Greece.

I've had my FM9 Turbo for 6-7 months now, and it's absolutely perfect. I can't even explain how much I love it!

Steve Lukather is a huge inspiration for me, and I'd love to find presets that capture his tone. Maybe we could even trade presets sometime?

I've tried a bunch of presets already, including Soldano x88r, @Marco Fanton , Leandre Gomez and some others (that I found here!). While they're all decent, I haven't found the perfect Lukather sound yet. Either it will be okay to use over a backing track and I won't be able to use it live, or it will be the opposite.
The challenge for me is to find a preset that works well both for practicing with backing tracks and translating well to live performance. Even with minimal EQ adjustments.

Here are my guitars:
  • PRS Custom 24 Piezo Core 2018
  • G&L Legacy USA (Alder-Rosewood) 1997 with Suhr ML pickups and Suhr BPSSC Backplate Silent Single Coil System
  • Fender Squier Strat (Swamp Ash-Rosewood "Vintage Style") from 2006 (completely stock, and surprisingly my favorite!)
I've tried everything I can to dial in a similar solo tone, experimenting with Bogners, other amps, different cabs like Dynacabs and York Audio, but I just can't seem to achieve the clarity and gain I'm looking for. Boosting the treble or using a strange EQ doesn't help either. In addition all my guitars except my Squire Strat sounds like acoustic guitar or something like that if I add treble or mids. I can't make them sound deep and fat with clarity.
I'm stuck at this point. Maybe it's my guitars or pickups? That could explain why I was able to nail Andy Timmons' tone so quickly - it sounds very similar to my own guitars.

Anyway, thanks for your time everyone! Hopefully, I can contribute to the community someday too.

I'm particularly interested in capturing Luke's tone from these videos:
(Toto - Wings Of Time BR)

(Steve Lukather - Darkness In My World

I like every tone in this video too

I am dying for the tone in this video at 3:40

Love these videos too:

Last edited:
Hey guys, @Jon Kaneshiro @Marco Fanton @ak301 @Deadpool_25 @elvis

Thanks a lot for the answers and your time. Marco Fanton's Luke preset is amazing.

I think the problem might be my guitar. I mainly play my G&L Legacy USA (Alder-Rosewood) with Suhr ML pickups and the Suhr silent backplate, but I'm having trouble dialing in a fat tone. I've tried using almost 50 amps in my search, but haven't found the right fit yet. I'm also struggling to get a deep sound with the neck pickup.

What do you think about this?

I made some presets for an Andy Timmons tone and they sound great, but I just can't seem to nail the Luke tone. Here's the issue: with a lot of gain, it gets muddy and loses clarity, but with less gain, I lose the pick attack and power I want from my right hand, even though it stays clear.

What am I doing wrong?

The sound is a combination of AMP+CAB about 50/50
About luke also the effects are very very important!
I've heard Luke with different gear and the sound is always the Luke sound but this is only a BIAS!!!
Luke had tons of different sounds but everybody recognize his playing!
If you ask to a kid he will say you every sound is different because he has no bias.

You can get Luke sound with Soldano, Bogner, Custom Audio, Marshall etc... with any king of guitar...

I recorded this video with a Tokai with Vintage pick up.... totally different from Luke guitars...
Look the comments! Nobody mentioned the guitar ore the gear.

I can't suggest you anything if I can't see you playing something
Make a video and share with us.
To me this is the best way to improve :)

Here is one interesting video that I checked some time ago
about Luke's gear. From 2:22 starts story about pedalbord / amp connection / effect chain.
Very interesting.

You could always take the bits you like from others presets and compile them into your ideal Luke rig.

Back
Top Bottom