Star Wars - The Force Awakens - No Spoilers!

Saw it last night in 3D downtown SD hardly anyone in the theater couldn't belive it. Walked right up to the ticket window and walk right in no line to stand in, did not see that coming given all the hype.

I will say there are aspects of this epsode that I found dissapointing, almost a reboot kind of thing without spoiling it for others that said I found it to be too predictable. The movie as a whole was good Abrams did a great job of derecting but some of the actors performances were not that great. Maybe I'm just out growing the whole Star Wars thing and I really wanted to like it more then I did but even in 3D it just did not floor me like the the first trilogy.

I will say there are aspects of this epsode that I found dissapointing, almost a reboot kind of thing without spoiling it for others that said I found it to be too predictable. The movie as a whole was good Abrams did a great job of derecting but some of the actors performances were not that great. Maybe I'm just out growing the whole Star Wars thing and I really wanted to like it more then I did but even in 3D it just did not floor me like the the first trilogy.
100/100

I've seen EP7 yesterday and I have exactly same impression. It's good, but not that good as I've hoped. The leading thread of this episode (trying not to spoil anything) is a bit childish in my opinion... it more likely belongs to the Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones kind of movie. It would be a really good idea for some adventure game for consoles, but IMHO certainly not for another episode of the Star Wars saga.

BTW1 - watching EP7, for the first time in my life I had a feeling I'm really getting old... I've just couldn't kept myself from being touched to the bone every time when all of my childhood heroes (Han, Chewie, Leia) appeared on screen after 30+ years.

BTW2 - the lightsabres looks just amazing.

BTW3 - Daisy Ridley... sooooooo hot! :rolleyes:

saw it a few hours ago, it was good, not great though. But admittedly i am not a big starwars fan.

In alot of ways it felt like a good deal of rehashing, it was much more to the point and less draggy in the pace of the film which I felt was nice.
Gonna have to watch it a few more times though before i really have a good opinion.

its very JJ Abrams in the visual department which isn't a bad thing. IMO - Some of the shots have his overly heavy motion blur/bad 3d effects/lens shots, those ripped me right out of the experience. But I am every critical of such things.

I thought it was a good "new start" for the series. somethings I wish would have been better, but I think that is just an expectation of a long time SW fan. It shows alot of promise going forward. I simply appreciated that it was not as campy as the prequel trilogy. The overall mood and direction of it reminded me more of the originals.

Spoiler Alert! :p

dqau1sww5K40g.gif

Last edited:
I saw it on Friday in Imax 3d. This is the kind of movie I dreamed Lucas would make as a sequel to Empire when I was a kid, since I found the Ewoks hitting Stormtroopers with stones in RoTJ rather silly. I really enjoyed the character development and the way SW universe tech updated in 30 years. Nicely done. I am looking forward to next 2.

See it in IMAX 3D if you can...... all the stuff that was good about SW is there, and the incoherent politicking of the prequels is gone....

Saw it last night on a whim... I enjoyed it. Was disappointed in Carrie Fisher's and Harrison Ford's parts, As it reminded me more of Indiana Jones scene. From an Adult's perspective, my 1st Star Wars movie in theater's was Return of the Jedi, and I've since seen every movie at least 20 times each... so I'm a fan, and they did good in VII, and I found myself excited to see VIII and IX.

Anyways, it's hard to judge because you can tell they are setting things up so you won't get it all until all 3 movies are seen.

Saw it last night on a whim... I enjoyed it. Was disappointed in Carrie Fisher's and Harrison Ford's parts, As it reminded me more of Indiana Jones scene. From an Adult's perspective, my 1st Star Wars movie in theater's was Return of the Jedi, and I've since seen every movie at least 20 times each... so I'm a fan, and they did good in VII, and I found myself excited to see VIII and IX.

Anyways, it's hard to judge because you can tell they are setting things up so you won't get it all until all 3 movies are seen.

Saw it on Friday night. It was good, but definitely not great. JJ Abrams remains one of my least favorite directors, and I found the film was full of Abrams-isms, including:

- Going for touching emotional moments, but just having it feel awkward because he hasn't done the character work yet
- Somehow having characters feel underdeveloped, despite the movie being almost two and half hours long
- "Don't pay attention to that plot contrivance - look at this tentacle monster!"
- Visuals that are very well shot, but also so derivative that I was recalling the exact scenes from the other films he was copying while I was watching
- Nervous, overly fast pacing that makes it seem like he lacks confidence as a director. The film has its best scenes when he slows down for a couple of minutes.

They also gave Ford and Fisher some terrible expository dialogue, and they both looked tired and bored saying it. Here's a hint guys: let Carrie re-write the dialogue, take out all the curse words, then press "record". The villains in the film also don't hold a candle next to Darth Vader or The Emperor...

But, all those bad things being said, I still really liked watching it. Daisy Ridley was really, really good. The jokes were funny. There are a lot of things I was afraid they'd do that they didn't - there was no silly slapstick stuff, they didn't inflate the scale to make it seem "epic", they wisely did not reference the prequels. Definitely worth seeing, and dense enough that I'll want to see it again.

Last edited:
I saw the new Star Wars in the same exact theater where the first Star Wars movie was ever shown to the public. This time 3D IMAX. BOOOOM!!!

Feeling very overwhelmed seeing the actual costumes used in the movies and handprints of the cast etc. in Hollywood right before seeing the film. I liked it a lot. Can't wait for the next one.

How can you not talk about the movie? I'll try. I'll talk to myself then. :(

A visually stunning remake of Episode 4 (with ripped off plot elements of 5 and 6) and that's about it...I seriously wonder if JJ Abrams ever has an original thought. He just keeps regurgitating ideas, plots, and scenes from beloved original movies for remakes that don't even come close to the spirit and essence of why they are so loved. His only trick is the 'nostalgia' one, where, like the Star Trek remakes, he 'ticks off the boxes' to play the nostalgia card but there isn't anything to offer after that. I apologize to you George Lucas...at least you had original ideas and will never speak so badly of the prequels again.

I did like the new lead character, the action scenes and a couple of other things, but man, there are some big disappointments in store in this flick...this is not the Star Wars you're looking for. Some of it was just plain ridiculous, even for a Star Wars movie.

Am not surprised actually...after seeing what JJ did to the Star Trek series I fully expected a lazy plot ripped off from the original movies done with less heart and soul...that's what we got.

I sort of expected that. Peter Mayhew doesn't get around that well anymore. He's in his 70's and walks with a cane, albeit a kick ass light saber cane.

Saw it last night. There's been enough time, so mild spoilers here. I'll post both praise, criticism, and head scratchers here.

I'm basing my judgement on EP 4, 5, 6. I was not thrilled with EP 1,2,3, since I have not had the strength to see them again. Although a friend watched them as a 'concert warmup' and said that they actually did a pretty good job of teeing up the next segment. I'll take his word for it.

I disagree with most folks here. I am a fan, and I think Abrams did a great job of bring us BACK into that universe. He stayed with consistent themes and let us see the things most people wanted to see again. He didn't deviate from the original feel (very analog and respective of the original universe,) and you felt immediately comfortable. Touchpoints on small things like the Chess set, etc.

The story is what I expected. Magical things HAPPEN to the people who are central to the Force leaving us to believe that other powers are at play (how else could they find Daisy in that monstrocity? Why did she walk randomly to the basement of the bar to find the Lightsaber? I could go on.) There was excitement, and far and away the better space battle correography of all the Episodes. The dialog was 'generally' better than most of the others.

Lots of questions left here. I say 'questions', but a true critic would say 'plot gaps'. Clearly they wanted to leave plenty of open questions for the next 2 installments. I won't list them here for one reason: The trilogy will have to be taken as a whole, not a single movie. If you watch 4/5/6, I still feel like I need to trudge on until I see the destruction of the Emperor. Same thing here...they're not MEANT to be standalone.

Performance wise, the 2 main characters did well...Daisy is a standout, but Finn needed a bit more backstory to work with If he was programmed at a young age, how was he able to overcome that so quickly regardless of the scene that is the 'final straw'? Some notes here: How is he decent with a Light Saber? How is a trash man sent on a special forces raid mission? He gets some good lines, and shows the earnest innocence that is kind of a trademark of characters in this universe. Daisy is a star already. No sense she was 'acting'...she did inhabit the character. There were some interesting things here with her as well. Why did she wait so long in the desert (besides the stated reason)? How was she able to tap into the Force so adeptly? (I suspect the bar owner had something to do with this...but time will tell.) Where did she go in her head during the battle with Ren in that quiet moment? She latched onto Han very quickly...there's a tie there someplace.

Carrie Fisher was a bit of a letdown. They didn't give her much to work with, yes, but she seemed less General of rebel forces than a grandmother along for the ride. I'll allow that might have been poor direction, in that not enough attention was her in charge of the rebel fleet. And if I can give a sharp stab here, there might have been some facial surgery there that took emotion out of her face...either way, she wasn't quite believable in all 3 roles (wife, mother, or general.) I did notice they carefully stayed away from a Han/Leia kiss.

Harrison tries to bridge the gap between impulsive young rogue and cranky old rogue and show that he might have learned a thing or 2 about life. For the most part he does well, but I would have liked to see a bit more world weariness in him. He gets the bulk of the amusing lines in the movie which throws me off a bit since he should seem a bit more 'crabby' for lack of a better word...given his history. A noticeable exception is walking out to see Ren, you can see the conflict, exhaustion, and weight of the years as he tries to heal his family clearly on his face.

Chewbacca is suddenly a central part of the interplay. He was frosting before, now he's part of the entree'. This is a good thing.

Kylo Ren. Probably the character I have the most problems with. He's portrayed as wavering between light and dark, and his motivations towards driving determinedly towards the dark side are at best...opaque. He WANTS to be bad, uses grandaddy as inspiration, and vents his anger at various machinery in very un-regal tantrum like behavior. He asks for help to make his choice, gets it, and supplies the most emotional moment of the movie, but I see no resolution one way or another on his face Maybe he's completed his journey, and the transformation is complete, but nothing was offered to suggest how he was pushed down that path in the first place. I find him less an evil villain and more an angry teenager breaking up someone's house...with a FLAMETHROWER, but tantrum nonetheless.

So I've posted quibbles, but I thought it VERY entertaining and a good start. Whether the succeeding installments can fulfill all these questions won't be answered for years, but I plan to see it again, since I feel as though I've missed a great many things (and I don't miss much.) I've seen complaints that it relies on 3/4/5 and it's derivative, but I feel it's INTENTIONALLY so. I, for one, am glad that he didn't completely blow up the canon like he did with Star Trek (even though I liked that too...)

My 2 cents.

If you've had the strength to read this far.

R

I rated it 7.5/10 but if they do things right in the rest of the trilogy it could become a 9.5, which I seriously doubt. I mean, come on they've had 35 years and this is it?

Back
Top Bottom