Star Wars - The Force Awakens - No Spoilers!

Finally watched it. I think it was OK. But definitely nothing major or bigger than original trilogy. Since I didn't expect it to be, everything is fine by me.

Okay spoiler alert!!

It could never be bigger. But I think it definitely felt like it was part of it. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were entertaining but didn't feel like they were a part of the original to me... could actually be all about the original cast. My only problem was that Kylo Ren was not scary at all. I felt like I could take him even without the force. I was kind of let down that he wasn't Luke Skywalker. That would've been so badass.

I think it was a really solid movie. Definitely some plot holes and unanswered questions, but I'm fairly confident these were well known by the filmmakers and left there by intention. You have to consider how much baggage JJ had to deal with in bringing the story forward. He couldn't just skip ahead 30 years and say that the original trilogy characters had all died or retired to some resort planet. This necessitated the inclusion of the original characters as well as all the callbacks to the original trilogy. You also have to consider that Disney is playing the LONG game here, and there are supposed to be new Star Wars movies every year until who knows? JJ understood what made the original trilogy great, and so the framework of this story and the characters a very, very derivative of the original trilogy, but this is completely by design.

All that being said, there are some great "additions" to the archetypes. Rey is clearly the Luke/Hero character, although she has a bit of Han and other characters in her. I find her more interesting (not just because Daisy Ridley is gorgeous, but that doesn't hurt) and her scenes were some of the best in the movie. Finn was for me the real "common man" in the story. He easily had the most laugh out loud moments for me. It's hard to say for sure, but I feel like he's going to be the Han Solo archetype (yes, I know Rey is sitting in a certain chair now) as the wisecracking and reckless spirit that will keep getting in over his head. Poe Damron is an interesting character in that he appears just to be a bad ass pilot, which in truth the original trilogy really didn't have as a principal character (Luke was a great pilot, but he was also LUKE). I like Kylo Ren as the villain at this point. I think Lucas tried to portray how the brattiness of childhood can turn into evil as an adult, but I never really bought Anakin's development in the original trilogy. Something about bumbling plot and cringe worthy dialogue will do that. I think we'll learn a lot more about what makes Ren tick in the upcoming movies, but I like the fact his character is conflicted. The other New Order principals are also interesting, although we've not learned much about them. I think we'll see a lot more of supreme leader Snoke, Captain Phasma, and General Hux in the next few movies.

It's nice to be talking about plot and character development in a Star Wars movie. Yes, it's a really simple plot and the dialogue is probably about 5th grade reading level, but that's also intentional. Star Wars movies were supposed to be for children & teenagers, even if the original target audience are all middle aged now. None of the concessions diminish the quality of the movie. I haven't even talked about the cinematography, sound design, music, etc. that are all key elements to the allure. I have a similar take away from this movie as I did with Fellowship of the Ring when it first came out. They were things left out, and it wasn't absolutely perfect in all aspects, but it was as good a version as I could have expected and it achieved the most important thing for me as a fan. It restored that sense of wonder and excitement that I hadn't felt since seeing the original trilogy as a teenager.

You have to consider how much baggage JJ had to deal with in bringing the story forward

He didn't really deal with that imo. They created a really great retro universe and sidelined all the original characters. A lot of wasted potential :eek:. I feel the ties to the original trilogy was only for marketing..... and it worked :(

Saw it last night and I am so happy it lived up to everything I could have ever wanted from a star wars movie, such a return to form after the prequel trilogy :)

Snape kills Dumbledore btw

I liked the prequels....not sure of the hate besides Jar Jar Binks....I get that part. But honestly thought they were excellent. True the new movie is awesome and has old magic...but I still loved the prequels too.

I liked the prequels....not sure of the hate besides Jar Jar Binks....I get that part. But honestly thought they were excellent. True the new movie is awesome and has old magic...but I still loved the prequels too.
Return to form in the sense that in the originals it was an against all odds situation and the magic was in the adventure of Luke going from farm boy to jedi warrior where as the prequel trilogy was more republic vs some dudes and off on the side was some jedi/sith stuff. The new movie definitely had the sense of adventure down pat.

Btw I saw it again and actually caught some stuff I missed the first time haha

Return to form in the sense that in the originals it was an against all odds situation and the magic was in the adventure of Luke going from farm boy to jedi warrior where as the prequel trilogy was more republic vs some dudes and off on the side was some jedi/sith stuff. The new movie definitely had the sense of adventure down pat.

Btw I saw it again and actually caught some stuff I missed the first time haha

Yes, but when you are building up the whole reason for things that make sense in 4, 5 & 6.....it takes a little more detail and can't be as simple. The prequels had to be this way in order to have things "simply expand" in the later films.

I liked the prequels....not sure of the hate besides Jar Jar Binks....I get that part. But honestly thought they were excellent.
On the contrary - I can understand all that "hate" regarding EP1-3. For me (at least someone who watched original trilogy in theatre), the prequel trilogy looks like Lucas was trying to raise another generation of fans and the age target was set way down below mine - somewhere in area of Anakin's age in the EP1. Too low... everything was a bit childish to my taste. But to be honest I must admit that the Revenge of the Sith is great - this episode have more tension and dark climate (thanks to ongoing Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader) than all the other episodes combined.

And one more thing - from all three leading characters of the trilogies (Luke, Anakin, Rey) Daisy Ridley showed in EP7 definitely best acting abilities, really great choice by J.J.

Back
Top Bottom