Spent a little time with the AX8

sounds the same to me :)
It's funny because someone else posted that they thought that their FX8 sounded more transparent than their AFX2... maybe it just depends what you're doing with it...

At any rate I gave up long ago hoping that two of the same thing would sound the same.. lol...

It's funny because someone else posted that they thought that their FX8 sounded more transparent than their AFX2... maybe it just depends what you're doing with it...

At any rate I gave up long ago hoping that two of the same thing would sound the same.. lol...
But that would actually make sense, given that the op amps and what-not in FX8 are better than in the Axe-FX in order to make it work perfectly in 4CM. But AX8 doesn't have that 4CM-optimized circuitry.

But that would actually make sense, given that the op amps and what-not in FX8 are better than in the Axe-FX in order to make it work perfectly in 4CM. But AX8 doesn't have that 4CM-optimized circuitry.

That's assuming he was using it in 4CM... which is not clear from his post...

my point is basically if they sound DIFFERENT at all some people will project different as better...

If they're EXACTLY the same you could easily test it, but if they're not some people will notice - some people always do - and some of those people will state that different = better...

And of course it could all just be the hype playing tricks on people's brains...

Like I said before, I have owned some many 2s of things, like pedals and amps and guitars and they just never are exactly the same, even when they have no reason to be different. Component tolerance, and age and setup, etc., etc.

That's assuming he was using it in 4CM... which is not clear from his post...

my point is basically if they sound DIFFERENT at all some people will project different as better...

If they're EXACTLY the same you could easily test it, but if they're not some people will notice - some people always do - and some of those people will state that different = better...

And of course it could all just be the hype playing tricks on people's brains...

Like I said before, I have owned some many 2s of things, like pedals and amps and guitars and they just never are exactly the same, even when they have no reason to be different. Component tolerance, and age and setup, etc., etc.
Not necessarily. The higher-quality op-amps are there to make the unit really shine in 4CM, but they're still there even if he's just running into the front of the amp or only in the effects loop. You won't notice as much, but they're still different than the Axe-FX.

Not necessarily. The higher-quality op-amps are there to make the unit really shine in 4CM, but they're still there even if he's just running into the front of the amp or only in the effects loop. You won't notice as much, but they're still different than the Axe-FX.

Fair enough... is the AX8 the same as the AXF2 on the inside? It's not is it?

Anyway - I don't know, and I DON'T assume it sounds better or worse... just that there's a decent chance it COULD sound DIFFERENT... in some contexts, to some people...

But like I said ;) it may not...

Fair enough... is the AX8 the same as the AXF2 on the inside? It's not is it?

Anyway - I don't know, and I DON'T assume it sounds better or worse... just that there's a decent chance it COULD sound DIFFERENT... in some contexts, to some people...

But like I said ;) it may not...
No, I hear you. Just making the point that the FX8 is more likely to sound different than the AX8. One way that people may notice a difference is that, for recording, if they're using the USB output on the rack unit but the analog outputs on the AX8 into a preamp, they'll be going through an extra round of conversion that may or may not be heard if you're stacking a number of tracks in your mix.

No, I hear you. Just making the point that the FX8 is more likely to sound different than the AX8. One way that people may notice a difference is that, for recording, if they're using the USB output on the rack unit but the analog outputs on the AX8 into a preamp, they'll be going through an extra round of conversion that may or may not be heard if you're stacking a number of tracks in your mix.

yeah - dear god - audio over USB via recorded in via a soundcard (with those preamps) is gonna be different and wouldn't come close to nulling... whether most people would hear a difference... maybe, maybe not... some might...

yeah - dear god - audio over USB via recorded in via a soundcard (with those preamps) is gonna be different and wouldn't come close to nulling... whether most people would hear a difference... maybe, maybe not... some might...
I wonder if most people will choose to go the SPDIF route for recording with the AX8.

I wonder if most people will choose to go the SPDIF route for recording with the AX8.

I'd say probably not... not most people... some who are comfy with that approach may... but I'd suggest that most recordings will be via the analogue outputs... just out of habit, etc.

I'd say probably not... not most people... some who are comfy with that approach may... but I'd suggest that most recordings will be via the analogue outputs... just out of habit, etc.
Probably right. Depending on the preamp and context, that may even impart something audibly nice into the recorded sound, despite the slightly lower fidelity.

Probably right. Depending on the preamp and context, that may even impart something audibly nice into the recorded sound, despite the slightly lower fidelity.

absolutely... that's why all those guys spend all that money on preamps... ;)

Plus of course if that's how people monitor it for playing around in their studio they probably won't rewire it to record... and also as a live tool no one is using spdif... so maybe some folks that leave it hooked up in their studio... maybe... I'm guessing something like 10% will use it like that on a regular basis... lol

at 45 minutes into the video, i try my "AFT Low Gain" preset. my dual humbucker guitar won't give the typical strat sound of those bands, but you can see what i did there.

I'll listen. But those bands use lots of humbuckers, filtertrons, vintage SGs, firebird, etc.. Plus tele.

I'll listen. But those bands use lots of humbuckers, filtertrons, vintage SGs, firebird, etc.. Plus tele.

That was nice, but not quite wha I'm thinking. More along the lines of the Gretsch and SG in the beginning and Les Paul solo at about 4:15.

Is there a model of one of the new Magnatone amps in the AX8/Axe family?

There's gonna be A LOT more content from me. I've been waiting for the AX8 specifically, since it's going to be a neutral starting point for most people. And a lot of what I teach for the AX8 will translate to the Axe as well.

Seeing as how [I think] FAS will be seeing a LOT of new users with this release (myself included), your channel will be an absolute gold mine for us n00bs!

Chris, just watched the whole thing, epic!
Can I ask (and this is probably in the manual :oops:
But if I have a preset and set up 8 scenes in that,
can each scene have an X/Y state.
Thing is I want to be able to midi control my amp as well,
so my scenario would be say "Scene 1 = Channel one amp"
and then hold for say "Scene 1 Y = Channel one amp + chorus + activate boost on amp ch 1"
if that makes sense?

Chris, just watched the whole thing, epic!
Can I ask (and this is probably in the manual :oops:
But if I have a preset and set up 8 scenes in that,
can each scene have an X/Y state.
Thing is I want to be able to midi control my amp as well,
so my scenario would be say "Scene 1 = Channel one amp"
and then hold for say "Scene 1 Y = Channel one amp + chorus + activate boost on amp ch 1"
if that makes sense?

Not currently possible. But, you can just set up Scene 2 to do everything you described for "Scene 1 Y".

Not currently possible. But, you can just set up Scene 2 to do everything you described for "Scene 1 Y".
aaah, so you mean for example:
I have 7 scenes then, and then use say button
5 to switch X/Y states on all the other 7 scenes,
and that could then switch any number of things,
and can be different for each of the 7 scenes,
on one maybe add effects, switch fx state or on another simply
send a midi PC to the amp, nothing else?
That would be totally workable as well.

Back
Top Bottom