SPDIF not good, how about AES/EBU?

jerotas

Experienced
Hi I read a thread yesterday where Cliff said that SPDIF is typically not as good as the normal audio out jacks. Does that also go for the AES/EBU jacks? I just realized that my MOTU sound interface supports AES/EBU as well.

AES/BEU is pretty much identical (signal wise) to S/PDIF. AES doesn't support copy protection. AES/BEU can do longer cable runs.

Also, AES/EBU cable makes great analog and mic cable due to it's high bandwidth and low capacitance so if you want the best signal chain possible I would suggest getting a Monster AES/EBU Digital cable. I use them and they work very well.

cloudsplitter said:
Also, AES/EBU cable makes great analog and mic cable due to it's high bandwidth and low capacitance so if you want the best signal chain possible I would suggest getting a Monster AES/EBU Digital cable. I use them and they work very well.

I would suggest the DIY solution over overpriced crap like Monster...
:ugeek:

well, if you don't like it, don't buy...I personally think Monster cable is great..they have different levels of cable for different needs...their Studio 1000 cables are excellent..as are all their other high end cables. Apogee also makes AES/EBU cables called Wyde Eye..they also make Wyde Eye S/PDIF cables..I suppose you think those suck to..??

Monster feeds off the ignorant consumer. It's my practice not to say anything disparaging about other companies but I make an exception with them. Their CEO is an evil dirtbag and their products overpriced crap with misleading marketing.

cloudsplitter said:
well, if you don't like it, don't buy...I personally think Monster cable is great..they have different levels of cable for different needs...their Studio 1000 cables are excellent..as are all their other high end cables. Apogee also makes AES/EBU cables called Wyde Eye..they also make Wyde Eye S/PDIF cables..I suppose you think those suck to..??
Don't equate dislike for Monster with dislike for brand-name cables. Monster is in a class all their own, and I mean that in a bad way. I do everything I can to educate people not to buy their over-priced, over-hyped stuff, and this is based on the character of the company itself as much as their value proposition. There are lots of good cable manufacturers out there, this is not a "DIY is better than store bought" argument. Personally, I like Blue Jeans Cables, but like I said, there are lots of quality, ethical manufacturers and custom cable builders. Monster does not happen to be one of them.

cloudsplitter said:

Don't take it personally and inform yourself about Monster Cable Products Inc., it's quite interesting.
You can find a lot of very good cable manufacturers, no problem about this, better and less expensive than Monster cables.

And of course, IMO, YMMV, etc...

Well, I seem to be outnumbered here so as any good dog..I can learn new tricks...!! If Monster cable is getting a bad rap then I will look at other options in the future..I also like Mogami. I just have never had any problems with monster. I don't know anything about how they run their company but from the vitriol on here I would say they have some customer relations problems to say the least. I have never heard of Blue Jeans Cables..i will check that out. As a studio owner i take my cabling very seriously as it is usually the weakest link in the chain. So, I guess I should thank you guys for educating me..!! Maybe Cliff could offer some suggestions also...if he has time.

Update: Steverosburg, I searched for Blue Jeans Cables and they are only about 30 min. away from me. I will go down there this week and pick up a few cables and see how I like them. Thanks for the tip..!!

Yeah I used to like Monster...but now I like Planet Waves. Mogami is a bit too expensive. Monster is better than the normal cables that cost 1/2 as much, but yeah some other cables that the same as monster are actually better.

Dont hear with your eyes. ;-)
Try as many as you can. Keep what sounds best to YOU.
Monster is a muddy crap (as a guitar cable) compared to Evidence Audio or Vovox.

I was reading somewhere that higher quality s/pdif cables have less jitter? Is there any truth to that?

rsf1977 said:
I was reading somewhere that higher quality s/pdif cables have less jitter? Is there any truth to that?
Not unless you're using such a poor quality cable that you're actually getting bit errors. That's the same argument as a fancy HDMI versus a cheap one -- it's all digital, and you either get a perfect picture or bit errors, which are generally very noticeable.

rsf1977 said:

You don't need "Oxygen free, superpure, voven by elves" cable. All you need is a multimeter and measure the resistance. It needs to be 75 Ohms. It's nice to have good insulation and shielding. Most of the plugs on soundcards are not exactly 75 Ohm connectors, so until you don't hear jitter, there is no jitter. ;)
Get a good guitar cable if you don't have one and you will have audible improvement.
Anyway we are talking about guitars. Mojo in most cases are some kind of imperfection in the tone but in a pleasing way.

Did you ever noticed the "comfort noise" in you phone? Most people don't even know about it, but it's there. It's there because you get used to hear some background hiss while you are in a conversation. If there would be no comfort noise, it would be completely silent and since we are used to it, it's weird if it's not there.

steverosburg said:
rsf1977 said:
Not unless you're using such a poor quality cable that you're actually getting bit errors. That's the same argument as a fancy HDMI versus a cheap one -- it's all digital, and you either get a perfect picture or bit errors, which are generally very noticeable.

This. Digital either works or not. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom