Sorry if this is an old tired topic...

joe1871

Inspired
But I am wondering if anyone has a list of the defauklt presets and the sngs they are emulating? Some of them are vey obvious - Cliffs ofg Dover, UnChained, and Eruption come immediately to mnd, but there are many that I don't know and would like to. For example - what is Fly By Night? Is that an existing tone and I am missing it? It kind of reminds me of a Lenny Kravitz tone, but that might purely be suggestion.

Anyway - if there is a list or anyone has traken the time to point them out I would be very very grateful.

I love this thing - I keep just turning it on, blindly twisting to a pre-set, and just marveling at the quality of tones. Thanks everyone!

Joe

Let's all make a list then :cool:
It would be great to have the actual song/sound/artist it is based on, as well as suggestions where to use it in other songs.
In a lot of them you just have to mute delays to get sth usable for some song you know.

I'm just going by name & some notes here, haven't listened to them again.
I've forgotten many and may be wrong on many...

A003 Another Brick [in the wall, Pink Floyd]
A006 East Wes [Eric Johnson]
A018 Freewill [adaptable for Richard Marx "Playin' with Fire" IMO, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDDfg6nP1A ]
A022 Crazy Train [Ozzy Osbourne]
A027 Sultans [of Swing, Dire Straits]
A038 Sweet Child [o' Mine, Guns 'n' Roses]
A044 Hell's Bells [ACDC]
A047 Texas Flood [Stevie Ray Vaughan]
A049 Katie's Song [Song for Katie, Larry Carlton, from the AWESOME "Sleepwalk" album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuaZl54IseM ]
A050 Unchained [Van Halen]
A054 Owner of a Lonely Heart [solo, Yes]
A058 Still Got Blues [Still Got The Blues, Gary Moore]
A070 Run Like Heck [Run Like Hell, Pink Floyd]
A073 Whole Lotta Love [Led Zeppelin]
A076 Mega Chorus [reminds me of the guitar sound in the TV series "Moonlighting" early theme. youtube.com/watch?v=MuQaE5zDn1Q Aah, I loved that show!! :) ]
A077 Streets Have No Name [Where the Streets Have No Name, U2]
A083 Bad [U2]
Cliff 2008: The factory presets were total guesses. I think Bad is pretty close but Streets is probably not right at all. [poss updated]
Tedge: the correct delay times are .... Streets 356ms, Bad 420ms or so. Use a mod delay and keep in mind that Edge is not using stereo offset or ping pong delays (even though that might sound cool its not how its done for real) / They both should be dotted 1/8ths. Streets is a faster tempo at 126BPM (if I remember correct) hence the shorter delay time. Bad's tempo is about 102 103 I think. Both are dotted 1/8th.
A095 Voodoo Chile [Hendrix, SRV]
A109 Band on the Run [is a Wings song, but is it related?]
A111 Riders [in the Storm, The Doors]

B038 Master of Muppets [Master of Puppets, Metallica]
B051 Vertigo [U2?]
B074 Walking on the Moon [The Police]
B080 6th Stone from Sun [Third Stone from the Sun related? Hendrix]

C103 High Landrons [Eric Johnson]

Songs & artist ones:

001 - Albert's Lead: Albert King tone?
007 - The Brown Sound: Eddie Van Halen tone
012 - B-May Lead: Brian May tone
021 - Funk #49: Funk 49 by James Gang
028 - Early Carlos: Carlos Santana tone
029 - Smooth: by Carlos Santana
031 - Life's Been Good: by Joe Walsh
032 - Eruption: by Van Halen
035 - Mr. Benson: George Benson tone
052 - Machine Gun: by Jimi Hendrix
060 - EJ Clean: Eric Johnson tone
067 - Modern Eddie: Eddie Van Halen tone
075 - SRV Lead: SRV tone
089 - Trey A: Trey Anastasio tone
096 - Wall of Sound: Smashing Pumpkins tone?
103 - Stevie`s Rotary: SRV tone
127 - Madman's Diary: diary of a madman by Ozzy Osbourne
144 - Time: by Pink Floyd
230 - Smokin': Smoke on the water by Deep Purple
263 - EVH Circa 1982: Eddie van Halen tone
286 - Yngwie: Yngwie Malmsteen tone
297 - Mr. Gilmour Lead: David Gilmour tone
319 - So many roads: Randy Rhoads tone?
321 - Stone in Love: Jimi Hendrix?
329 - Petrucci Rhythm: John Pretrucci tone
331 - Mr. Floyd: David Gilmour tone
347 - The Infield

vAmpli said:
yek said:
001 - Albert's Lead: Albert King tone?
I had been thinking Albert Lee.

What is The Infield?

I think: the band The Outfield.

Albert Lee is probably a better candidate indeed :)

Sebastian said:
vAmpli said:
A018 Freewill [adaptable for Richard Marx "Streets of Pain" IMO]

I thought that's from Rush's "Freewill".
Thx! I just thought it would be good for that too [Lukather part]
upd: I meant "Playing with Fire" from Richard Marx.

URls to reference clips can be added to the Amp page in the Wiki.

Awesome thread. I wondered about a lot of these patches.
Along with the reference thread, this has been a good couple of days.

Hey Guys

One - I apologize for my horrendous typing in the OP.

Two - What outstanding responses. Thank you guys, but especially vAmpli and Yek - that was a lot of typing and work. I really appreciate it.

I do believe the "Smokin" patch is the Boston tune. I grew up in Boston and was always very fond of that band. I was in college when that album was massively popular and everybody was trying to get Scholz' tone. We got it now!

So I was in a Toys R Us yesterday - a few guys at work get together every year at this time to fill up the barrel that gets put in our office lobby by the management company for our office building. Its a Toys for Tots thing, and we all throw a hundred bucks each into a pool and go toy shopping. Its a really fun thing all the way around - guys out having a couple of beers (responsibly), reliving past Christmases and remembering special gifts etc, and feeling good that we were helping some kids who were not as fortunate as we may have been. Anyway... one of my co-workers and fellow guitarists makes a comment about the "First Act" guitar (best guess on the name...) line that is for sale in this store. There is a significant aisle of musical instruments, which in itself is very cool, but there are all kinds of guitars and accessories. Strings, picks, winders, polish, straps etc at a Toys R Us. That is very cool. So this guy Joe makes the statement "I bet you could use that guitar with your AXEFX and it would be hard for us to know the difference - it would still sound phenomenal". I filed that away as a possi3ble question or point to bring up here. Do you think with a tool as useful and as Hi Quality as the AXEFX that the guitar is as important as it used to be? Could you tell the difference between my PRS and my Petrucci and my Les Paul if played through the AXE? IO wonder how many could? If the answer is anything like I suspect - that it actually doers blur the lines a bit, then the next question is "Instead of working towards a good guitar, should beginners work toweards getting an AXEFX instead? I know the feel is important, the realiability, the intonation, the sustain, all thoe very tangible advantages that a better guitar provides, but how significant are they vs having this incredible tool to work with?

Just blathering. Thanks for the help. Keep the patch ID's coming - I really think this is a good thread.

JOe

joe1871 said:
Do you think with a tool as useful and as Hi Quality as the AXEFX that the guitar is as important as it used to be?
What I read in general and what I have experienced is that the Axe because of its transparency will show the true quality of the guitar "like no other."
I have a cheapish Mexican made Fender strat which I liked a lot many years ago, but if I now play it through the Axe it feels 40 to 60% of the expected quality is lacking and the Axe is showing me this. It seems I hear extra noise I didn't use to hear and that the quality of the pickups is lacking.

joe1871 said:
Could you tell the difference between my PRS and my Petrucci and my Les Paul if played through the AXE? IO wonder how many could? If the answer is anything like I suspect - that it actually doers blur the lines a bit
I think many that know those guitars might well be able to do that.
The Axe blurs the lines less and keeps the character of the guitars.
What blurs the lines is playing these guitars through a P*d or likewise device. It will be more difficult there to guess which guitar is which.

OTOH, a cheap guitar will at the same time sound fairly great through the Axe, but you will at the same time hear and feel its weaknesses IMO.

-

Many may tell to go for the best possible guitar first, it can never be wrong :D I would sooner pick the Axe and have a cheaper guitar with a good enough neck. I don't regret I've started that way. I do regret I didn't have a clue about playing trough tube amps for the biggest part of my life, so I consider learning to play and enjoying the feel and feedback it gives more important than an expensive guitar.

(It would be nice if you could make the topic title more descriptive. It will make it easier to find it (back) later for us and others :cool: E.g. "Which stock preset for what?" etc)

joe1871 said:
Anyway... one of my co-workers and fellow guitarists makes a comment about the "First Act" guitar (best guess on the name...) line that is for sale in this store. There is a significant aisle of musical instruments, which in itself is very cool, but there are all kinds of guitars and accessories. Strings, picks, winders, polish, straps etc at a Toys R Us. That is very cool. So this guy Joe makes the statement "I bet you could use that guitar with your AXEFX and it would be hard for us to know the difference - it would still sound phenomenal". I filed that away as a possi3ble question or point to bring up here. Do you think with a tool as useful and as Hi Quality as the AXEFX that the guitar is as important as it used to be? Could you tell the difference between my PRS and my Petrucci and my Les Paul if played through the AXE? IO wonder how many could? If the answer is anything like I suspect - that it actually doers blur the lines a bit, then the next question is "Instead of working towards a good guitar, should beginners work toweards getting an AXEFX instead? I know the feel is important, the realiability, the intonation, the sustain, all thoe very tangible advantages that a better guitar provides, but how significant are they vs having this incredible tool to work with?
Oddly enough, I actually have played one of those First Acts through my AxeFx...
http://www.mitchbrody.com/axefx/LastAct.mp3

I just had it for a day while doing a kid a favor and setting it up as much as it could be. While you certainly can get usable results from almost any guitar, I would definitely steer a beginner clear of these super cheapo guitars. The one I worked on had absolutely atrocious tuning stability issues even with proper nut slots, lubrication, etc. The nuances of a fine instrument wouldn't be missed by a beginner, but they definitely need something with a playable neck that stays in tune and won't fight them every step of the way.

Here are a few more tones by song.
  • A018 People Get Ready — song of the same name, Curtis Mayfield (also played by Jeff Beck);
  • A039 Gamelan Night — inspired by Indonesian gamelan orchestra sounds;
  • A041 Fly From Heaven — song of the same name, Toad the Wet Sprocket;
  • A061 Fly By Night — song of the same name, Rush

Back
Top Bottom