Some more Marshallesque fun (new Slash amps included)

What's Your Fav?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah that one was apparent. I was a bit confused because I thought one was a Freidman BE (reading comprehension fail) and none of them sounded like a BE to me.

Anyways... the reason Splawns sound weird is because the tone stack is plate driven. You lose the cathode follower compression and the high source resistance of the plate alters the tone stack frequency response.

I picked the QR out right away too. It was my least favorite.

A number of years ago I had Scott mod my 1987x and it was f**king glorious. Simply awesome. I asked him if there was a way to do a clean channel with that amp and he said no. He suggested I order a QR because it was basically the same circuit as the modded 1987x with the addition of a clean channel. I sold the 1987x when I was told the QR was ready. It sounded totally different. I was so bummed.

Number 3 is my least favorite. Sounds kinda flat and lifeless compared to the others. I personally would use a little bit less gain on all of them too. Marshalls growl their best when the gain is backed off a little for less fizz and more throaty growl. That's just my personal preference for that style of playing (AC/DC'ish riffs). Number 1 has great cut, but Number 5 sounds a bit more balanced. The mix would determine which would work better. Always been more of a Mesa guy for gain, but I'm quickly becoming a Marshall convert. The longer I play, the less gain I end up using. Marshall style amps just excel at that punchy, dynamic mid-gain growl. They are so musical and responsive to pick attack and guitar volume changes. Very addictive to play.

1,4,5 were my faves; after a relisten of those 3 will pick #1.

2 and 3 sounded a bit less present; with 3 probably being the most "different" in a compressed kind of way. It was smart to use the same cab. That said... They all sounded quite good overall and it was cool to hear nuances between them.

I love the amazing palette of Marshall variants we have. The Heavy British amp tone is my all time fave.

EDIT: Look ike the reveal already happened... Looks like the AFD1 was my fave and #3 was the Splawn. Kind of interesting that the AFD2 varied heavily... that mod must really do something. Will definitely have to spin the Dirty Shirley @ some point. I don't think I have ver even tried to dial it once yet. LOL. HNAD!

Last edited:
i liked number 5, which is kinda odd, because i don't think i've ever used the shirley at all. it has a really nice "knock" to it...that thunk you get when you hit the strings.

So, do we still need the Brit Super in there if we've now got the "real thing"?

(Perhaps it's time to make room for a Rivera K100 ch1 !?) :eek:)

This is a Fractal product, no compromises are necessary. Just add the Rivera and KEEP the Super, too.

I'm telling you guys, the Dirty Shirley is the best kept secret on the Axe, LOL.

And yeah, it was probably a little more gain the necessary. I use more than I would if I was playing normal sets, but playing four hour gigs with no breaks, if a little extra gain makes it easier on my hands, I don't mind the compromise.

To avoid influence, I haven't read responses or looked at the votes.

After a quick listen on my studio monitors, I like #5 for overall tone in isolation

However, dialing inside a mix for live performance, I wouldn't be surprised if I chose #1 for it's combo of midrange power and less peaking at around 2k.

One of my fav amps continues to be the plexi 50 high with the stock TV mix cab.

I voted for #1 to start out with, but after listening again, #5 seems to have more depth to it. Kind of a mix of the best of #1 and #4 added together.

***scurries to Axe II laughing maniacally ***

I like them all...
#1 being tops for me... then 5, 4,2 & 3.
Tomorrow I would have picked something different though.
That is the beauty of having some many options.

To avoid influence, I haven't read responses or looked at the votes.

After a quick listen on my studio monitors, I like #5 for overall tone in isolation

However, dialing inside a mix for live performance, I wouldn't be surprised if I chose #1 for it's combo of midrange power and less peaking at around 2k.

One of my fav amps continues to be the plexi 50 high with the stock TV mix cab.

I've tried almost all of them live with my band, I always come back to the Dirty Shirley. I've used the Friedman BE, HBE, and Dirty Shirley, plexi 50, 100 and both jumpered versions, Buttery, Quickrod, JCM800, 1987x, Wrecker, Wrecker Liverpool, Corncob, Diezel Herbert and VH4 and probably a couple more that aren't jumping out at me....so far it's the Dirty Shirley for me, period. It covers the most ground for me and does it all very well. If I were doing all one genre I might gravitate to others, but between volume controls and boosts it can do everything from classic rock to 80's, 90's, 2000's and modern rocking country. Handles all my guitars well. I might give the AFD's a run just for the heck of it, but I'm so happy with my tone right now I'm trying to not chase for a while.

Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! U Rock Dude! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload Presets! Upload presets! Upload Presets!

just got home from vacation, will tomorrow when i get my rig set up. thought i'd have wifi on vacation but the condos didn't....

i liked number 5, which is kinda odd, because i don't think i've ever used the shirley at all. it has a really nice "knock" to it...that thunk you get when you hit the strings.

same here! I thought n°5 was the afd2 at first, never quite understood how to tweak the shirley model to sound right..time to give it another try :)

thing is, i really like the AFD2, but dial it in a bit different than it sounds here. it doesn't get a lot of votes in comparison to the others, because it's simply not dialled in as good as it could be. it just needs a bit more treble and bit less gain, imo

Back
Top Bottom