Some more Marshallesque fun (new Slash amps included)

What's Your Fav?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
I'm always comparing tones, so with the new AFD/AFS amps, why not?! Quick and dirty, 5 amps through the stock TV Mix cab. Not an exhaustive test, just some chords and sloppy licks. Feel free to give your preference....I won't drop the order of amps just yet, although it's pretty easy to my ear to pick them out. The amps used, in no specific order are:
Friedman Dirty Shirley
Splawn Qrod 2nd Gear
Marshall AFD ver1
Marshall AFD ver2
Marshall Plexi 50w jumpered

2, 4 and 5 are great, i think that 4 and 5 are the new afd, because they sound almost the same, but with a little more gain in the last one.

If I am guessing 1 is an AFD ,2nd could be Splawn 3rd another AFD or the Splawn Last 2 are likely Dirty Shirley and Plexi (jumped).

The only one I really don't dig is 3 that too me sounds dark and nasal

My Fav is 1 ,2

1-AFD1 2-Dirty Shirley 3-Quickrod 4-Plexi 5-AFD2

Nice ears! So close, 3 of 5 right and the 2 that weren't just need to be flipped.

To me, 1 is obviously AFD1...the single note stuff gives it away. There's a "woodiness" there that is totally the Appetite tone.

I love these sound tests. I'm usually WAY out but on my little Macbook speakers i'd guess:

1-AFD
2-Dirty Shirley
3-Quickrod
4-Plexi Jump
5-AFD

Don't know which is which.
I like all of them except 3 (probably Splawn).

Nice ears! So close, 3 of 5 right and the 2 that weren't just need to be flipped.

To me, 1 is obviously AFD1...the single note stuff gives it away. There's a "woodiness" there that is totally the Appetite tone.

Thanks! Might have gotten all 5 if I had been listening to it through something besides my cell phone or the fact people were talking to me while I was listening lol. Which two did I miss?

Pm'd you ChrisMetal.

The Dirty Shirley seems to be the one that's throwing everyone off. I'm telling you, fling age the bright switch and open up the presence a bit and that thing is a monster. It's so dark without the bright switch I think a lot of people overlook it.

That's weird because acc. to the specs, the real one doesn't have a Bright switch.

The Splawn doesn't sound bad, it's just a lot darker and more compressed than the others. I think that's why side-by-side it doesn't sound as good. In the right setting it would kill, it's a great amp.

Not sure which amp is which but my favourites are 1 then 5 then 4. I'm really curious to see which amps they are.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom