[Solved] Boomy note decay

yes some amps are bassy/ boomy , put a low cut in the cab block or directly in the input EQ of the amp block , put a precision drive and whatever things that makes them more tight and trebly . They are also many others heads that are not boomy at all . so ... But sometimes I'm the same too . I dont like some amps by default and spent a lot of time trying to like them with tweaks . you know, like the marshall afd hahahaha . we are maybe wasting our time sometimes .

since day one I m battling with the vai legend and the afd , just because that's vai and slash, and I cannot tell myself that their signature amps suck that much . Words sometimes hihi .

Try real amp at the same axefx setting. You probably blast your room, and the signal will suck the current source with similar kind of sag you hear in the axefx. But your hears will be ringing a lot. If you ever try an isolaction cab with "enough drive", you know what I mean. ;)

Try real amp at the same axefx setting. You probably blast your room, and the signal will suck the current source with similar kind of sag you hear in the axefx. But your hears will be ringing a lot. If you ever try an isolaction cab with "enough drive", you know what I mean. ;)
thats true , but for example a dual rectifier is not easy to dial in real life but after some hours or days you got it . In the axe I spend month if not a year to have decents presets with the recto family and the thordenthal . Probably the miced sound ...

yes some amps are bassy/ boomy , put a low cut in the cab block or directly in the input EQ of the amp block , put a precision drive and whatever things that makes them more tight and trebly . They are also many others heads that are not boomy at all . so ... But sometimes I'm the same too . I dont like some amps by default and spent a lot of time trying to like them with tweaks . you know, like the marshall afd hahahaha . we are maybe wasting our time sometimes .
Ok, I feel guilty now. That's exactly my case. In the end I'll probably never use that amp :sweatsmile:

thats true , but for example a dual rectifier is not easy to dial in real life but after some hours or days you got it . In the axe I spend month if not a year to have decents presets with the recto family and the thordenthal . Probably the miced sound ...
I have love&hate relation with DR. I love when other play them, I hate when I play them! And I have the same feel when I play axefx emulation. ;)
And the volume & feel of real stack make the difference: 8 12'' cone crying, vs 2 8' at wimpy volume... or headphones... well... I spend lot of time in my days on stage to adapt to ear or stage monitor. I was unsatisfy... boomy... fizzy... the real amp was better, but tone change across stage. I have to learn how guitar amp sound sit well on stage/in a mix... and I find axefx can do a good job to retain the character and feel of an amp, while give you a palette to choose from soundwise (sound like channel strip in specific album, or taming high or low, or changing feel and tone of an amp without the need of a solder!)...
Back to topic. I have my "ideal" sound. I think there is a boomy release. I will try to change parameters like sag, resonance, impedance curve... I learn what each parameters do to the sound and I tweak my own sond. Maybe I will end up with "idealized" version of an amp... like Leon tweak the DR to sound lto his liking.

I went and listened to that #020 Euro Uber preset. Even playing some notes with it I find it not to be unnatural sounding compared to a real tube amp. I did notice however that the speaker cab IRs used in that preset are an Uber cab with V30 and T75 speakers and the speaker impedance curve is set to "4x12 Basketweave" which in my opinion wouldn't exactly match correctly.
We need a lot more impedance curves. For example, unless I am wrong about this: there is not an impedance curve for a T75 speaker. Also, a curve for a 65 watt creamback would be nice. There are lots of speakers and configurations not on that list.

I went and listened to that #020 Euro Uber preset. Even playing some notes with it I find it not to be unnatural sounding compared to a real tube amp. I did notice however that the speaker cab IRs used in that preset are an Uber cab with V30 and T75 speakers and the speaker impedance curve is set to "4x12 Basketweave" which in my opinion wouldn't exactly match correctly.
We need a lot more impedance curves. For example, unless I am wrong about this: there is not an impedance curve for a T75 speaker. Also, a curve for a 65 watt creamback would be nice. There are lots of speakers and configurations not on that list.
There's a 1x12 "G12T" impedance curve but not a 4x12. I assume Fractal has again decided to just not include ones that would be too close to another one but the drawback is that each factory cab doesn't have a corresponding impedance curve and it's hard to figure out what goes with what. I guess the point is that you try them out and pick one that works best to your ears.

It doesn't help that the impedance curves aren't even sorted properly by name at least in the onboard UI.

There's a 1x12 "G12T" impedance curve but not a 4x12. I assume Fractal has again decided to just not include ones that would be too close to another one but the drawback is that each factory cab doesn't have a corresponding impedance curve and it's hard to figure out what goes with what. I guess the point is that you try them out and pick one that works best to your ears.

It doesn't help that the impedance curves aren't even sorted properly by name at least in the onboard UI.
Since we can adjust these settings, it would be nice if we could save our own impedance curves.

Ha ! It interest me !
Wtf is the one we have in the axe . Tell me that the real one is not like that please 😅
The first one was said to be the original Legacy (im thinking combo) and the other model is said to be Vai's own Legacy 3. Neither of which I can get to sound even remotely close. The real amp has harmonics that just out like no other amp I've ever played. It has this fuzzy/spongy tone when the gain is up. So no the real one doesnt sound like the axe

if you turn down speaker LF resonance and it goes away, it's power amp breakup in the low end from speaker low resonance. You can keep speaker LF resonance where it is and turn down master volume, and at some reduced setting of master volume it will go away.

Or you can keep master volume and speaker LF resonance where they are, and if you lower speaker LF resonance freq you can move that boom down out of the way and put the boom exactly where you want it, it does nice things the lower it goes, 50 Hz, 40 Hz.
This is awesome. Thank you. For recording, this coupled with (Master) Bias excursion reduction results in a more polished sound (in a good way).

The first one was said to be the original Legacy (im thinking combo) and the other model is said to be Vai's own Legacy 3. Neither of which I can get to sound even remotely close. The real amp has harmonics that just out like no other amp I've ever played. It has this fuzzy/spongy tone when the gain is up. So no the real one doesnt sound like the axe
Just 2 words : THANK YOU.

I’m not mad once again so . Everytime I switch to whatever legend or afd they both have a sort of dead filter in them .
The filter of ☠️

Just 2 words : THANK YOU.

I’m not mad once again so . Everytime I switch to whatever legend or afd they both have a sort of dead filter in them .
The filter of ☠️
Yeah it's rather depressing as years ago I complained about it and many many others agreed and I just ended up leaving the thread to die. We than later got the Legacy 3 and lets just say I stay away from those amps sadly as it starts to really have me question the axe......I love my axe, but....

I tried these tweaks, no success :

3CA48DB2-8B84-4EB6-9951-CFFA22EB46B1.jpeg

Yes it’s always boring when you know the real deal and there are no changes . Then they probably got a lot of things to do in fractal . If you read the master wish tread, cliff needs 3 more life to do them all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom