[Solved] Boomy note decay

WbbS

Experienced
I'm having this problem with amps that have more low end. I thought it was due to the new studio monitors, but I can hear it even in the recording, so no monitors involved.

With some notes (i.e. A 6 string, 5 fret) I hear a boomy decay when I play a single note. To fix this I have to reduce the frequencies below 125Hz in the OUT EQ, but by doing so I completely ruin the sound that becomes boxy.

Here a sample (hear the first and the last notes). The first note is boomy, than some other notes that are less affected by this issue. The Preset used is a factory Hipower, but is the same with some others (i.e. Recto 1 and 2).

Any advice?

EDIT: in FW 19.05 it seems that everything is better balanced in my recording.

Last edited:
Sounds okay to me.

Just roll down the bass a bit ,

or add a gate to cut off the decay, Add an rta block end of chain look for peaks <250hz that you think maybe causing it, use a sharp q parametric eq to nail down that particular frequency, without affecting other frequencies, or cutting off stuff

Another way can be to nail down the bass frequencies of your DI using a PEQ before it gets to anything, to not lose the amp character, and maybe reduce the depth/ presence/bright value a bit in amp block

Multiband compressor can also help but i dont think you need it for this.

Last edited:
I'm having this problem with amps that have more low end. I thought it was due to the new studio monitors, but I can hear it even in the recording, so no monitors involved.

With some notes (i.e. A 6 string, 5 fret) I hear a boomy decay when I play a single note. To fix this I have to reduce the frequencies below 125Hz in the OUT EQ, but by doing so I completely ruin the sound that becomes boxy.

Here a sample (hear the first and the last notes). The first note is boomy, than some other notes that are less affected by this issue. The Preset used is a factory Hipower, but is the same with some others (i.e. Recto 1 and 2).

Any advice?

Sounds like you've reached my max picking speed.

Which headphones are you using? Listening with Sennheiser HD600's and I wouldn't consider that boomy.

Last edited:
That honestly does not sound super boomy to me, but wanting to sculpt tone in a personal thing.
Because it's in the cleaner portion of the note, I might try a gentle PRE EQ instead of a POST EQ.

Thanks guys. It’s the factory preset. Nothing changed.
If I decrease the input gain the issue is less evident, but…I mean, I’m still too young for “less gain” 😅

Thanks guys. It’s the factory preset. Nothing changed.
If I decrease the input gain the issue is less evident, but…I mean, I’m still too young for “less gain” 😅
EQ you DI in the preset and lower the depth and slightly roll down the bass. You dont need to touch the input drive and gain.

It's not the whole sound boomy, but the note decay.. Listen to the last note played and how it ends.
Are you talking about how the note “fizzles” as it disappears? Your examples sound fine on my monitors. In a mix you’d probably want to cut some of the bottom end.

Beyerdynamic dt 880 pro's, I hear what your saying .But sounds like the notes blooming ,which to me is a good thing

Sorry but I can’t consider that a “good” thing.

It happens only on some presets and some notes, and particularly if I use the neck pickup. I think the model should theme this decay better. On some other presets it is not present.

Are you talking about how the note “fizzles” as it disappears? Your examples sound fine on my monitors. In a mix you’d probably want to cut some of the bottom end.
Ok, but is factory preset directly do the daw via usb. I shouldn’t need to do anything I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom