[Solved] Boomy note decay

Real amps do this too. If a particular model or preset isn't delivering exactly what you want, use the numerous tools at your disposal to dial it in to where you do like it. That's part of the fun after all!

Personally I'd use a little pre-eq as @Admin M@ suggested.

Sorry but I can’t consider that a “good” thing.

It happens only on some presets and some notes, and particularly if I use the neck pickup. I think the model should theme this decay better. On some other presets it is not present.
The pickup voicing can cause this then in some cases

Set up the guitar better, as well, if your DI has significant low pitch overtones, some amps/ chains are gonna make it more apparent. Its completely natural, you will face this on real amps too.

Follow the comments above eq your DI / pre eq . Pretty easy to dial this out.

I'd use an rti block on the di to nail down which particular freq is causing it , and dial it down using a peq with a sharp q.

Lowering speaker lf resonance can also help but its better to solve it from the source instead of correcting it later.

Last edited:
Ok, but is factory preset directly do the daw via usb. I shouldn’t need to do anything I suppose.
DAW via usb doesnt mean anything, Pickups ,guitars , amp, cabs, all of these can cause this,.

Its in your guitar signal, amplified further by some presets/ amps.

Its a real thing a guitar signal has significant overtones, its not a perfect synth sine wave when you play a note! which why the freq graph goes all over when you play a note instead of that perfect note like A should only peak at 440hz.

So you cannot expect things to be perfect.

Last edited:
Ok, but is factory preset directly do the daw via usb. I shouldn’t need to do anything I suppose.

if you turn down speaker LF resonance and it goes away, it's power amp breakup in the low end from speaker low resonance. You can keep speaker LF resonance where it is and turn down master volume, and at some reduced setting of master volume it will go away.

Or you can keep master volume and speaker LF resonance where they are, and if you lower speaker LF resonance freq you can move that boom down out of the way and put the boom exactly where you want it, it does nice things the lower it goes, 50 Hz, 40 Hz.

if you turn down speaker LF resonance and it goes away, it's power amp breakup in the low end from speaker low resonance. You can keep speaker LF resonance where it is and turn down master volume, and at some reduced setting of master volume it will go away.

Or you can keep master volume and speaker LF resonance where they are, and if you lower speaker LF resonance freq you can move that boom down out of the way and put the boom exactly where you want it, it does nice things the lower it goes, 50 Hz, 40 Hz.
THIS!
Problem solved!

Thank you!

All of the amps/presets that have this characteristic are the ones where the speaker resonance freq has a significant peak right at 110Hz that is the frequency of the A2 note.

This is why it happened only with that note.

If you can't hear it in the recorded example (first post) it is probably because your system does not reproduce/support/translate that low end (i.e. if I play it with my Mac mini internal speakers I can't hear it).

@FractalAudio sorry to bother you with comments that probably arise from little experience (first time with Fractal, ex-Mesa/Boogie Mark V).

The walk around of @mixermang works, and even a PEQ with peaking at that specific frequency works, but I can't consider this a "normal" behavior. Here is another experiment.

Setup:
  • Preset: 0020 Euro Uber.
  • Guitar: Gibson Les Paul (same with the PRS CU24)
  • Straight into Axe-Fx input
  • Axe-Fx USB to Mac then Logic
  • NO Studio monitor connected (switched off)
  • Headphones monitoring
  • NO change in the preset, no fx in the DAW
First the wave form of a clean sound (preset 0383 - BYPASS), same note. It has a peak and then decreases. No problem.

Schermata 2022-02-11 alle 09.48.33.png

And here the waveform of the signal with the preset I wrote before (0020 Euro Uber).
Instead of decreasing after the note attack, the amplitude of the waveform increases and that's where that unnatural "noise" starts.

Schermata 2022-02-11 alle 09.48.19.png

This is the wave form of guitar through preset 0383 - BYPASS then UAD Apollo Twin, with Marshall Unison Plug in, just to give evidence of the wave form of a high gain tone.

Schermata 2022-02-11 alle 10.28.03.png
Once again, attack and then decreases. NO problem.

Finally the recording of the note played through the preset that makes that noise (0020 Euro Uber, like the Recto, Hipower, and few others).

Last edited:
Normal behavior. High gain acts like a compressor. The initial transient compresses a little, and with the release the volume increases.
Ok, but doesn't make that noise with that particular note.
The point is the same of my first post, unnatural noise after the attack. Plus, if I use high gain with Unison (or other) plugin it doesn't make that noise.

hi
Some notes have a huge vibration . Particulary the open A . if you play it alone or fret it in the 5th fret or the low E you probably wont have the same after effect .

have you tried some new adjustment of your pickup height too ?

to me , what I heard is normal . If you add a low cut you probably wont have that too .

and always with the A note ?

in a room full of guitars, if you do a A in palm mute at a loud volume , you ll see that many guitars will react to the sound by sympathy . some notes on the guitars got that extra power . I think that if all metal heads does a A palm mute at the same time the planet will explode .

and always with the A note ?

in a room full of guitars, if you do a A in palm mute at a loud volume , you ll see that many guitars will react to the sound by sympathy . some notes on the guitars got that extra power . I think that if all metal heads does a A palm mute at the same time the planet will explode .
I'm recording with headphones, I don't think the other guitars are part of the equation. Anyway I'll try to move them all in another room now.

EDIT: no, nothing changed. And now the ones outside are jealous for the one in the room...

I am testing it , this is the euro uber that does that . I have tried many of my presets and dont have this after boomy thing, with the euro uber yes , this one is over boomy .
So : don't use it ! hihih

the cool thing is that you dont need to burn your gear, this is just this amp model that suck to do that :) , but Yes I have the same feel at home so ...

Back
Top Bottom