Softstep and USB Over Midi

VittorioAngelo

Inspired
Hello Folks;

I just received my AxeFx III, and have a question about USB Over Midi.

Here's my setup:
Softstep and AxeFX III -> Elektron Overhub -> Macbook Pro, running Ableton

What I'd love to happen is to use the Softstep to send CCs and PCs to the AxeFx III.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on the USB Over Midi functionality just yet, nor integration with Ableton.

Might anyone have experience in configuring such a setup?

Thank you very much,
Vittorio

hmm, there's MIDI over USB, but not USB over MIDI as you described.

what is a Softstep? is that sending messages to Ableton? is Ableton setup to send MIDI messages out at all?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hadn’t heard of Softstep. Very interesting. Please share how well it works for you, after of course, the connectivity issue is addressed.

Cheers

Lee

If you are using Windows you might be able to use MIDI-OX to bridge the connections. Choose the Softstep and a MIDI Input Device and the Axe-Fx III as a MIDI Output Device. In the routings menu connect input events to the Axe-Fx III Output.

hmm, there's MIDI over USB, but not USB over MIDI as you described.

what is a Softstep? is that sending messages to Ableton? is Ableton setup to send MIDI messages out at all?
I'm sorry Chris.

A softstep is a midi foot controller created by Keith McMillan (I've not yet proved myself worthy of the Forum, so I cannot post a link yet.)

As to Ableton's role in this whole thing, I'm still trying to figure that out.... Once I get it together I'll post detailed instructions for others who find themselves in my same conundrum.

Thank you,
VittorioAngelo

Another useful and simple utility for routing MIDI on Mac is called ‘MIDI Patchbay’. I occasionally use this one to get MIDI from Mac USB MIDI peripherals into the Axe-Fx II XL+.

Also you could get a KMI expander box and go direct from the SS to the in/out MIDI DIN ports on your Axe-Fx III.

A word of warning though - if you wanna send the MIDI thru to the Mac (Host: Ableton Live) over USB from the III....the II doesn’t pass MIDI through from the DIN ports to the USB MIDI out correctly on Mac (maybe it’s an Apple driver
thing...maybe) and nobody has yet confirmed that this issue has been rectified with the III. So, it may not be possible even if you would logically expect to be able to do this.

If I remember correctly you can get an expander thing that provides a midi input/output directly to/from the softstep. So you could go softstep->axe->ableton?

Or as the others say use the midi over usb from the softstep into the computer then route the ableton and softep midi back out to the axe

Bourne Midi Translator Pro is another cool midi routing piece of software that I have used. This again would allow you to route the midi over usb from the softstep out to the axe fx over usb.

if the softstep and the axe fx are both connected to the computer via usb, then you can simply use ableton to receive midi from the softstep and send it to the axe fx. no third party stuff needed (unless you want to transform the midi messages from the softstep from one type to another)

just create an empty midi strip in ableton and in the "midi from" dropdown, select the softstep and in the ""midi to" dropdown, select the axe fx. just make sure that "track" and "remote" are both turned on for both devices in ableton's midi preferences.

Back
Top Bottom