So whats your opinion on Apple music

First: I don't believe the numbers if they include downloads. But if we're just talking streams, I buy it.

Blessing and a curse. No way could an artist have amassed 50,000,000 plays of a track pre-streaming. That's unprecedented levels of access to a consumer fan base. It's also an open market -- the radio, the way music was primarily moved to the masses, is a gated entry market. You have to get in before you can gain from it and the gate has been getting narrower and harder to pass through for decades now. DJs have lost all control over what they play, it's in the hands of the few. Not so, the streaming and download marketplaces.

And remember: US terrestrial radio has always paid zero dollars to performers. Streaming pays performs as well as writers.

Streaming is also precise and fair. Sampled payout systems like ASCAP and SOCAN and BMI pay zero dollars to the little people. Streaming pays out exactly to who gets played and when. That kind of tracking and renumeration accuracy is really nice.

Pick your poison, kids. Anyone pining for the old days is looking at it with very rose coloured glasses -- it wasn't better, it was arguably worse.

Last edited:
Somehow, I never connected to streaming services. I still buy and download all music on amazon. At least then I can do what I want with it and I'm not bound to a platform or company.

For movies, streaming makes a lot of sense. I usually never watch the same movie twice (and those I do, I buy as a DVD), but there are some music tracks I keep listening to over and over for years.

If you like it great. Essentially your leasing the usage of the music, at the end you have nothing, just like any lease. These stream services also pay artists very little per spin, so I buy songs in hopes the artist sees more money.

It's kind of like TV in that regard.

Ok ... I'll share some Steve Lukather toughts bout that ... Then I leave ... As I never be part of that streaming madness...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....136142913081638.19988.100000577914841&type=1

It's worth a read ...

Yes, interesting.
But I do not agree with Steve on the general state of music / musicians.
I know lots of skilled / talented young musicians, who enjoy old and new music and create new stuff.
It just shows that he's not up-to-date with current stuff.
Things did continue to evolve after Pink Floyd....

I think I know what it's really about (just the start of a sentence, don't freak out). When we were kids all we ever wanted to be was a musician like your (insert your favorite artist here). We dreamed about it every day. We wrote the band name all over our notebooks. We didn’t know much more about them than one or two photos from the album jacket. It was a mystery, it was an awesome Youthful experience that most of us musicians went through and enjoyed.

Then came the late seventies and eighties where you knew way to much information about your favorite rock star. To much way to much. It became way over saturated. It had, at that time became a huge money making business, of course no one knew that that was the peak, the highest point and music will never be the same again.

The industry was huge because you had to get your latest group on CD, because the album and cassette tape wasn’t good enough. You had at least three copies of Boston’s albums, because it sounded so good, on every platform.

So a lot of time happens between the middle and the end.

I was a computer tech, for a large Transportation company and my boss says I’m getting you an account on this thing called the internet. Cool, I bet this will destroy all future business dealings and start all kinds of religious wars etc. I kid of course I had no clue at the time. You mean I can get on the internet and go on University computers and read stuff from gopher servers, cool count me in. This was before the mosaic browser and before I ever hear of a name name of Mark andreesen.

So bam Napster… The super villan in any plot.

So the faithful day when the music industry crashed we were in total disbelief. It was like, what about my favorite artist, crap, crap, crap what about me. Is my dream dead.

Well we know what eventually happened in front of our eyes. The music world came crushing down. We all either had to accept the formidable change that was to lye ahead. We had to ask ourselves the question. Do we continue with this narrative in our lives, play guitar at all costs and wade through the waste of an industry or do we quit, or do we never start. Well we know what the younger generation did, they never got started, understanding that their young world never saw the ’80’s up close and personal, so they are out. Some joined, thank (INSERT YOUR DEITY HERE).

Our generation, said screw it, I’m not stopping I have to much time invested in my instrument to quit now. So we plowed on, listening to sad stories to Once were, and slowly sinking what wases.

We would hear stories from old people telling us how great it was, when it was. I can think of many genres
of music layed to the waste pile of life. Big band Jazz, Jazz, etc-. there are a lot more. for the record their will always be pockets of great music out there, always.

Its sad for us, but its not sad for the younger generation who seems to be more accepting of everything these days, way better then us. Accept it move on they say. grumble, grumble, damm kids…

It is weird watching the demise of something, I hold so dear. Its morbid and makes me want to freak out in a bad way, sometimes. But I understand it in a way, because I was there and studied it in what little college I have. Its still amazing to me that I could make a boat full of money by just understanding how ab initio works.

So what we have here, is a new paradigm. They keep working on a solution the will fix what the internet broke. Some want the internet to go away (it won’t) some people want to steal music (sad) or some people want to pay a monthly fee (Me).

And just for the second record on everything I wrote above. You know about it, because this is or was(maybe) your life experience as well.

I can’t change an industry, but I can make choices that fit my modern lifestyle. If I was a broke starving touring musician, I would probably have whatever music I could fit on a monthly pay as you go phone.

My choice is to pay for something I most likely already own on album, 8 track, cassette, cd and finally MP3.

The fact is people in our generation aren’t going to a music stores to buy albums, because there are no music stores.

All My opinion of course.

its amazing that I have to write that all the time, but people will jump on you because they assumed that I was thinking that this was everyones experience. Its mine...

I signed up for the 3 month trial. I figure what's to lose? We have Macs, iPads and iPhones in my house, so we're pretty well ingrained in the Apple ecosystem.

I have iTunes Match and I've noticed for some of my music, I get the error that the song is not available anymore. Um, excuse me, it's MY music that I physically own. I pay for iTunes Match! I chalk this up to some hiccups with the new iTunes and Apple Music. If it doesn't go away on it's own, I'll contact Apple and see if there's a solution.

I like the fact that Apple Music has videos as well as music. The curated playlists are a nice touch. I do think Spotify does a better job at suggesting music, but that may be because I've been a paying Spotify customer for a couple of years.

I can't complain about Apple Music's selection or sound quality. That said, I don't think there's anything with Apple Music that would make me jump ship from Spotify. The family plan is the only thing I can think of that would be an obvious advantage over Spotify. Selection and quality between AM and Spotify seem fairly comparable. If Apple had launched Apple Music in 2008-2009, it would be a revolutionary product that would easily conquer the world. Now, it's just another music streaming service going up against mature and entrenched competition. That said, I think Apple has the cash, expertise, user base and ecosystem to make AM a success.

Overall, Spotify is a more mature product and it shows. I like the interface of Spotify MUCH better than Apple Music. Then again, I've always detested iTunes, even on a Mac. For UI alone, I'd probably pick Spotify over Apple Music. Seriously, I loathe iTunes. If you hooked me up to a machine that measures stress levels, I would go up a few points even typing this message. Just the thought of iTunes makes me break out in hives. I grit my teeth and use it because it's so integrated into the Apple ecosystem, but I've always wondered how a company that so much defines good UI could create a monstrosity like iTunes </rant off>

Last edited:
I think it's a very solid V1. Curious where it'll go from there. Canceled my Google Play Music sub already -- redundant and inferior.

Update: yup. iTunes Radio still only allows 6 skips per-hour, per-channel. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :(

Apple Music? i dunno, not tried it. I turned it off in settings on Mac phone and iPad.

I have 44,000 tracks in my iTunes library with many old vinyl rips that have never been released on CD and do not appear in iTunes.

I don't use a streaming service at all, and don't use iTunes Match.

I looked around when it launched earlier this week but found it confusing and even after reading online articles don't fully understand the point of it!

I don't come across much new music that I like but instead prefer to seek out lesser known music from the 60/70/80s.

I manually move across a selection of current favourites to my iPad or phone when I travel and that suits me fine.

Is there any value in Apple Music for me? Can I download and 'keep' the music? What happens after I stop subscription? And what happens to my current music collection, the bulk of which was not purchased via iTunes but manually imported? Is this affected in anyway? I read somewhere the apple can add DRM to your personal collection?

I also sample some old tracks for use in my own personal music tracks that I create, often taking a song from iTunes and importing it into Logic Pro for editing. Would I be able to do this with music from Apple Music?

I find it all a bit confusing!

Last edited:
<cynical moment> Is there some hidden language in the Apple contract that says they "own" everything they upload from your collection? i.e., suddenly they have the rights to your own compositions? I wouldn't put it past them <cynical moment OFF>

<cynical moment> Is there some hidden language in the Apple contract that says they "own" everything they upload from your collection? i.e., suddenly they have the rights to your own compositions? I wouldn't put it past them <cynical moment OFF>

No. Though you need to assign rights to them to allow them to stream the music back to you because that's how the silly legal system we have works.

Will stick with Google Play Music. No reason to switch.

For a lot of folks there's at least one reason: Google Play Music does not support a family plan, which makes it almost twice as expensive for a family of three.

And for musicians there's one more: Apple takes less money for itself than other streaming services, leaving more to the artist (or to the record company, as it is often the case that artists get bupkis from streaming; Apple can't really be blamed for that though). They also intend to turn this whole thing into a platform for publishing music independently (much like apps are published today), and Garage Band already has direct uploads. I'm sure Logic will follow soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for some it will be a great deal, but for most I doubt it will be worth it. When I purchase music, I like to physically own it...

Is there any features in Apple Music that makes it more interesting than Spotify Premium?

But unfortunately, streaming has pretty much killed the viability of strong consumer support for those high-capacity devices and has made them niche products.

I don't believe that's true. I just read the other day that phones are used for an absurd amount of pictures/videos, etc. and so the desire for more memory is actually increasing.

The memory manufacturers are trying to increase the size and are at 200GB now for a micro sd card. The question is going to be will consumers be satisfied with the Apple/new Samsung model of offering phones with build in memory and several levels or will they continue to want to add a micro sd card with more memory.

Last edited:
As for the service, I don't really care for it. Like some of you, I have a fairly large collection of cds/songs and I'd rather listen to them than someone else's collection of songs. I have a 200gb card in my phone and 115gb of my music on it. I don't have to worry about my connection or commercials. I can skip as many songs as I like and don't have to worry about stuff coming up that I don't like at all.

I can see the allure though. If Amazon or Google every comes around to letting me put all my music there without a monthly fee AND phone connectivity gets better (at least in my area) then that would be tempting. As it stands, I'm fine with the music I have now and I get enough exposure to new music through other people, browsing now and then and a limited amount of radio when it's out of my control.

Back
Top Bottom