So whats your opinion on Apple music

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
I signed up yesterday. I like it. its right there on your phone. roughly $15.00 bucks for a family of 6. I stopped my RDIO subscription.

What do you guys think?

Rocking out to Van halen at the moment.

Would you collectively spend more than $15/mo every month if you purchased the music instead?

I buy about 40 songs per year, at a cost of about $52 so for us paying $180 to only be able to use the music as long as I keep paying doesn't make sense.

You could probably buy the VH CD for $3 used and down load it to your phone and then resell it for $3 after.

Would you collectively spend more than $15/mo every month if you purchased the music instead?

I buy about 40 songs per year, at a cost of about $52 so for us paying $180 to only be able to use the music as long as I keep paying doesn't make sense.

You could probably buy the VH CD for $3 used and down load it to your phone and then resell it for $3 after.

That is a true statement but...

I'm a musician like you. I love music, like you. I want to hear what I want to hear now on every device I have, whenever I want at whatever location. I like it curated with human beings as well. I heard a slade song next to a kiss song next to a David bowie song I never heard of before. I'm not that smart. They sounded great in a block like that.

For the record I have over 3 terabytes of music at Home on my server. But I didn't have that Slade song, neither that David bowie song that I have never heard before.

Curation is what is motivating me, to at least try it for three months for free.

All my opinion of course.

Haven't tried Apple music yet but I just cancelled my spotify membership. I really enjoyed it but it would add up plus not actually owning any songs after spending 10 bucks a month for a year kind of stinks. I would still end up purchasing songs through itunes so that I could pitch shift them or cut them for medleys for my bands. To each his own of course. The free version does ok for now. It is certainly nice to have the on demand access to pretty much any song though.

Only had an hour with it on my commute home last night and it was MUCH better behaved than Rdio on the trip ever had been. No drop outs. UI didn't freeze up.

The one big bad mark against it is we use Rdio in the band to share songs and playlists. So that would fracture since two of the guys are Android users.

So far I'm impressed. I expected streaming issues, dropouts, UI problems. And have experienced none of those things. More today as I use it on the morning commute.

Only had an hour with it on my commute home last night and it was MUCH better behaved than Rdio on the trip ever had been. No drop outs. UI didn't freeze up.

The one big bad mark against it is we use Rdio in the band to share songs and playlists. So that would fracture since two of the guys are Android users.

So far I'm impressed. I expected streaming issues, dropouts, UI problems. And have experienced none of those things. More today as I use it on the morning commute.

I thought they were making an Android app. I guess well wait and see for those folks.

I know just like any debate there are positives and negatives on both sides, I get it.
Something cool I just found by accident looking up Will Ray (Hellecasters), a similar artist came up called Practice-Tracks for practicing Leads or drums with a click track in the left side for the drummer. Fun stuff.

I've been a paying spotify member for a year and change now. I love it. I will be a member for the foreseeable future. The only thing I see that apple music has on it is the family plan (which could be huge for some).

55 minute commute, 100% -> 18% battery using it over a mix of LTE and WiFi (my MiFi battery died mid-commute, left it on last night). That's not great, but IIRC it's on par with Rdio streaming.

The really annoying thing was as soon as we hit the Transbay Tube and I lost all signal, the app cleared my carefully queued up Play Next list! Swearing ensued.

55 minute commute, 100% -> 18% battery using it over a mix of LTE and WiFi (my MiFi battery died mid-commute, left it on last night). That's not great, but IIRC it's on par with Rdio streaming.

The really annoying thing was as soon as we hit the Transbay Tube and I lost all signal, the app cleared my carefully queued up Play Next list! Swearing ensued.

Thats not good.

I thought they were making an Android app. I guess well wait and see for those folks.

The service will be availble on Android this fall/winter.

My experience with Android users says it'll be a flop on that platform because they tend to be anti-all-things-Apple. The Android users sitting around me here at work scoffed at the idea of using a Apple stream service over Spotify or Google Play.

It's not the same as buying music; it's a service that has a lot of value added. Having all of that at my finger tips is easily worth the cost of two coffees/mo for me. I really dig the interface and features. The mirroring of your own music library is extremely cool, too. And I only expect it to get better.

My experience with Android users says it'll be a flop on that platform because they tend to be anti-all-things-Apple. The Android users sitting around me here at work scoffed at the idea of using a Apple stream service over Spotify or Google Play.

I don't understand this either. I use an Android phone and I'd love to see some collaboration between Google and Apple. People just want to pick a side I guess.

It's not the same as buying music; it's a service that has a lot of value added. Having all of that at my finger tips is easily worth the cost of two coffees/mo for me. I really dig the interface and features. The mirroring of your own music library is extremely cool, too. And I only expect it to get better.

If you like it great. Essentially your leasing the usage of the music, at the end you have nothing, just like any lease. These stream services also pay artists very little per spin, so I buy songs in hopes the artist sees more money.

I assume mirroring of your library only works with songs they actually have in iTunes? I have a lot of music from livedownloads.com, archive, friends' bands, etc and I don't expect that to be on Apple music.

I assume mirroring of your library only works with songs they actually have in iTunes? I have a lot of music from livedownloads.com, archive, friends' bands, etc and I don't expect that to be on Apple music.

No, it uploads the non-iTunes songs to iCloud and makes it available for streaming whether it is on iTunes or not. I have some of my personal clips on it for example.

If you like it great. Essentially your leasing the usage of the music, at the end you have nothing, just like any lease. These stream services also pay artists very little per spin, so I buy songs in hopes the artist sees more money.

Yes, that's what a service is. Like Satellite TV or radio, internet, netflix, electricity, etc. Like I said, I will easily get my money's worth @ this price it is noise in our budget. If you want to maximally support musicians go to a live show. You're still free to buy things if you want to 'donate' to someone's career but you're still basically paying a bunch of middle men no matter what you do.

Time for that cig lighter charger? ;)

Then again you must not be in a car.

Luke the Martyr...JK

I can afford to lease. I can also afford to stick money in my 401k.

The artist won't see more money. The artist of the music I like is way past their prime. They are least getting something from me more than once.

you buy the album once, that was like two maserati's ago to them. You play their album everyday and you pay them again and again and again, you get the point. I'm supporting the older artist retirement. I'm ok with that.

I'm listening to Eddie money's greatest hits. That can't be his real last name.

I don't understand this either. I use an Android phone and I'd love to see some collaboration between Google and Apple. People just want to pick a side I guess.

Eh. They're Android devs, so maybe they're hella-biased? :D

Back
Top Bottom