So are the Red Wirez cabz that much better than stock cabs

VegaBaby said:
Scott Peterson said:
But confusing the issue by tossing around a term like 'blankety' is simply spreading mis-information.
If you are referring to me , since I used that word (blankety), I'm not tossing around anything or spreading anything. It was a simple question, since someone used the term 'blanket' before. It's great for you if you've found the perfect IRs, but all I asked for were some more opinions.

I've recorded guitars for many albums and am certainly aware of how mics, placement etc. sound. Again, all I wanted was some further input before purchasing something.

If your post however was not regarding me, my apologies and please disregard it. Otherwise I'd appreciate if you wouldn't spread mis-informastion about me.

Actually the blanket comment was refering the IRs to themselves. One in the Axe-fx one in a VST host. That is one w/o room reflection another with. My guess is that the user did not simulate the room reflections given by the VST one w/ reverb on the Axe-fx.

Actually, I don't think Scott was refering to you here since your were asking about a person who had said something about it. Others picked up your verbage.

VegaBaby said:
Scott Peterson said:
But confusing the issue by tossing around a term like 'blankety' is simply spreading mis-information.
If you are referring to me , since I used that word (blankety), I'm not tossing around anything or spreading anything. It was a simple question, since someone used the term 'blanket' before. It's great for you if you've found the perfect IRs, but all I asked for were some more opinions.

I've recorded guitars for many albums and am certainly aware of how mics, placement etc. sound. Again, all I wanted was some further input before purchasing something.

If your post however was not regarding me, my apologies and please disregard it. Otherwise I'd appreciate if you wouldn't spread mis-informastion about me.

VB, I also used the term blanket in a previous post, but for some reasons, a discussion on how a particular sound was PERSONALLY perceived in a, to quote Scott's expression, YMMV fashion turned into a hard facts data sheet. Make no mistake, the hard facts data sheet posts are super interesting, but ask any guitar player about what is better between so and so, and you can guess the results :mrgreen:

Brian G said:
If Red Wires' full WAV files contain room reflections, it's a different animal from the SYX version, which can't contain "room".

The additional room reflections will add high frequency energy and a sense of space. For me though, this is not a variable I want to contend with in the context of cab sims in the Axe-FX.

Apples & oranges. Different objectives. And Red Wires, in providing room files, has given the option to add in a 2nd cab with room reflections captured separately.

Exactly!

@ Deltones and Java

No need to turn it into a discussion. Let's just forget about it. Deltones observation to me however was a valuable input, since most user will most likely first try single IRs, just like in the Axe with the stock IRs and if the results can be 'darker' (not using the 'b' word anymore) it's a valid thing to point out and in my opinion has nothing to do with spreading mis-information.

As soon as my schedule allows for tweaking sessions I'll purchase them anyway and see for myself ;) .

Guys, I was talking DIRECTLY about the use of the term 'blanket' and not any specific person in a personal manner. The term WAS being 'tossed around' and that sort of innuendo on the Internet becomes fact because it gets picked up and used. "Blankety" has a negative connotation and does not do anyone any favors.

"Darker" is a MUCH better CHOICE of words and using it gets more to the actual point, and illustrates what I was trying to communicate with my statement. The choice to use the word 'blankety' was being repeated and used incorrectly.

By this point in the life of this forum, I'd think that you'd know me and my style a little bit better. I don't play games and go after folks personally; if I have a problem I speak to the problem. My problem was the choice of words. It's no reflection on those that use it. Lighten up guys, it's a Forum, not a trial.

Scott Peterson said:
Guys, I was talking DIRECTLY about the use of the term 'blanket' and not any specific person in a personal manner. The term WAS being 'tossed around' and that sort of innuendo on the Internet becomes fact because it gets picked up and used. "Blankety" has a negative connotation and does not do anyone any favors.

"Darker" is a MUCH better CHOICE of words and using it gets more to the actual point, and illustrates what I was trying to communicate with my statement. The choice to use the word 'blankety' was being repeated and used incorrectly.

By this point in the life of this forum, I'd think that you'd know me and my style a little bit better. I don't play games and go after folks personally; if I have a problem I speak to the problem. My problem was the choice of words. It's no reflection on those that use it. Lighten up guys, it's a Forum, not a trial.
Point taken. All good ;)

Scott Peterson said:
"Blankety" has a negative connotation and does not do anyone any favors.

Yep, I agree with this.

Now, I have yet to understand why Reaper renders my tests much harsher than what I hear on straight playback from inside reaper, but here's a very quick and dirty clip of the same Redwire cab I made for this thread: One is WAV version, the other is the SYX version, and for the hell of it, a mix of the two.

I'm going for the 80's thrash sound in the patch I'm trying to build. Still working on it. The clip is the raw track, no effect at all, no mastering and with sloppy playing added.

As if the Redwire cabs are better, well, have a go at it with the clip below. And if some Reaper user can tell me what's wrong with my rendering, would be much appreciate :)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8084742

Deltones said:
here's a very quick and dirty clip of the same Redwire cab I made for this thread: One is WAV version, the other is the SYX version,
Did you shorten the wav version to 1024 samples before using it? If not it will sound different from the syx version, and you are not comparing apples to apples.

Jay Mitchell said:
Deltones said:
here's a very quick and dirty clip of the same Redwire cab I made for this thread: One is WAV version, the other is the SYX version,
Did you shorten the wav version to 1024 samples before using it? If not it will sound different from the syx version, and you are not comparing apples to apples.

Who said I wanted to compare apples to apples? You have this insistence that I clinically test this process your way when my test is a sound preference test. I don't doubt that you're right as far as the science goes. All I ever said is that if you use the Redwire's IR according to Mike's instructions on his website (i.e at least 8% length in kefir for the WAV) and the same cab SYX file loaded up in the Axe, they do sound different. In fact, it's almost like you have double the IR to play with if you mix and match your recordings with a SYX cab one time, and the same cab in WAV format another time. My preference goes to the WAV file, at least for the preset I'm building. I'll see how it goes with other patches.

All I know is that I'm very glad I purchased the Redwire bundle and it's a blast to use.

Now, I gotta hit the Reaper forum for that rendering problem. That clip does sound like crap.

Deltones said:
You have this insistence that I clinically test this process your way
It was you who insisted that the syx conversion process and/or the axe-Fx change the sound of the file. They do not.

I don't doubt that you're right as far as the science goes.
This doesn't have a thing to do with "science." It has everything to do with recognizing the difference between a cab sim and a room reverb IR, as well as recognizing the differences between the things you can do in a DAW and a dedicated signal processor.

I just bought the RedWirez IR's.
I think they're fab & suit me more than the Factory Axe IR's.

For some reason, they seem to have more "front" on the notes than the stock IR's, which is what I've been missing.
I first noticed this lack of "front" when I bypassed the Axe's Cab/IR's & used some others via Samplitude & Boogex & other IR plugins.

Over,
Bob.

onebaldbloke said:
For some reason, they seem to have more "front" on the notes than the stock IR's, which is what I've been missing.
I first noticed this lack of "front" when I bypassed the Axe's Cab/IR's & used some others via Samplitude & Boogex & other IR plugins.

Over,
Bob.

This kinda hit home with me when i read it. I thought i didnt have my compression set right with the factory IR's.
Along with over EQing everthing. This all went away with the Redwirez immediately.

www.duaneramelot.com

What I learned from the RedWirez ir's that Jay has been saying all along is that moving the mic away from the cone seems to sound better (more like the amp in the room). I found that using the ir's with the mic at least 6" away sounded much better than the close mic'ed versions of the same cab.

mitch236 said:
What I learned from the RedWirez ir's that Jay has been saying all along is that moving the mic away from the cone seems to sound better (more like the amp in the room). I found that using the ir's with the mic at least 6" away sounded much better than the close mic'ed versions of the same cab.

That's the awesome thing about this package. For the patch I'm working on, I settled for a distance of 2 inches because that's the way it sounded best to me. With another patch? Who knows?

mitch236 said:
What I learned from the RedWirez ir's that Jay has been saying all along is that moving the mic away from the cone seems to sound better
That's not really what I've been saying. What I've been saying is that, to accurately capture the sound of a cab as you would hear it when you're playing through it - for better or worse - one of several things you need to do is to place the mic in the farfield. 6" away is not in the farfield, although it's a step in the right direction.

Jay Mitchell said:
mitch236 said:
What I learned from the RedWirez ir's that Jay has been saying all along is that moving the mic away from the cone seems to sound better
That's not really what I've been saying. What I've been saying is that, to accurately capture the sound of a cab as you would hear it when you're playing through it - for better or worse - one of several things you need to do is to place the mic in the farfield. 6" away is not in the farfield, although it's a step in the right direction.

Yup, I know I was taking your "Farfield ir" idea to an extreme but it is amazing how much difference 6" can make!!!

Back
Top Bottom