So are the Red Wirez cabz that much better than stock cabs

It would be an interesting bundle... by and Axe-FX get a license or free download to the Red Wirez IRs with Cliff kicking back a different type of Greenbacks to Red Wirez.

I kind of ignored that whole 38 page thread thinking "yeah, whatever... just another IR thread blah, blah, blah..." and now my wallets on fire! :lol:

mworkman said:
It would be an interesting bundle... by and Axe-FX get a license or free download to the Red Wirez IRs with Cliff kicking back a different type of Greenbacks to Red Wirez.

I kind of ignored that whole 38 page thread thinking "yeah, whatever... just another IR thread blah, blah, blah..." and now my wallets on fire! :lol:

No, what would be cool is if AXE-FX2 had 1 Gig or RAM and came preloaded with all the impulses.
Then we can just drag the mic(s) in the editor and the correct IR's will be loaded automatically.

Up to 5 mics would be cool but I'll settle for 3.
Do you hear me Cliff?

:eek:

My Ultra won't be delivered until tomorrow and I am thinking of getting them from all the talk. Does coming to the forum a million times a day make the brown truck run quicker? :lol:

krash73 said:
My Ultra won't be delivered until tomorrow and I am thinking of getting them from all the talk. Does coming to the forum a million times a day make the brown truck run quicker? :lol:
Didn't help me, but between that and reading the manual over and over again while I waited for it, it sure made me a lot more ready and able to dig in and begin tweaking my own presets right away. And I got mine when there was a waiting list, so I had plenty of time to read up on the thing.

And... yes, they are that good. I'm one of those freaks that took Andrew's advice from the tutorial and started combining then in SONAR to get multiple mics on the cabinet, and I think that flexibility makes them even better. I always used to use a couple of mics when miking up a cab, so why not mix IR's to get the same effect?

I've tried the Vox and the Marshall 1960A (greenbacks) cabs from Redwirez. It's not so much that the Redwirez cabs are better. I liked the Marshall cab much better than the stock greenback 4x12, but that just comes down to personal preference. And the Brit 2x12 stock cab with the R121 sounds a lot like the Redwirez Vox AC30 with a Royer 121 1" from the cap. But the stock Brit 2x12 is a little too bassy for my tastes as is the Redwirez cab with the 1" off the cap mic placement. The great thing about the Redwirez is that I can just load an IR with the mic back a little. I like the Royer 121 at 4" back for the Vox. So this cab doens't sound better, but it sounds just as good and gives you more control over the tone. Nice!

You guys are killin' me here... I'm thinking about these IR's 'cuz I don't particularly like the distance in the stock IR's. They all seem really far away, but that could just be me and my newb teaking ability.

Yes the Red Wirez cabs are much better. And they give you more control. Some of my IR's are also better (for me) than the stock. I wouldn't mind the stock IR's going away entirely.

I don't know if I can say that they are SO much better than the built in cabs. It really is personal preference and also seems to be on a cab/mic by cab/mic basis.
For example I had time to tweak yesterday and I found that the built in 2x12 black cab for my Fender BF clean patch still just sounds the best for what I'm looking for; nice rolloff of the high end, tight bass and the midrange works really well with a compressor upfront in the chain to get me what I'm looking for right now.
That being said, Red Wirez might eventually release a BF specific cab with a gazillion mic's / mic placement options that would work better. But something has to be said for simplicity in all of this as well.
I found auditioning a number of mics/mic placements from the Red Wirez was great, but after a while you think you've nailed it! Then when you pop in a stock cab/with or without mic you're like "wait, this sounds good too!"
Most noteables for me from the Red Wirez set are their Vox w/ Blues IR's -- I only tested about 5 options using the Royer to find somethat that was amazing, but there is probably an even better fit in there... I'll get there eventually.
And dropping a close mic'd Mesa cab with V30's (from Red Wirez) into my pretty much stock Mark IV patch... HOLY SH*T! That patch just took off... killer lead tone!
I would say for the price it's a no brainer. I think the Big Box is $55; I mean, to add that many more options and take your patches and rig even further I don't see the problem. I might have to spring for the small box too, mainly because I love those particular speakers. I think current users will get a discount on new releases as well.

I'm finding the cab to be one of the most important aspects of a preset. With the Redwirez cabs, I have been able to dial in a great tone, so yes, I think they are better if only for the spectrum of choices. Now what I need are more user cabs and an easy way to upload them all into the Axe!!

Gasp100 said:
I don't know if I can say that they are SO much better than the built in cabs. It really is personal preference and also seems to be on a cab/mic by cab/mic basis.
For example I had time to tweak yesterday and I found that the built in 2x12 black cab for my Fender BF clean patch still just sounds the best for what I'm looking for; nice rolloff of the high end, tight bass and the midrange works really well with a compressor upfront in the chain to get me what I'm looking for right now.
You know, that's the one thing that's stopped me from trying the RW cabs yet. My go to cab for almost everything is the Greenbacks 4x12 20w, either with the Royer or U87 mic. No blanket, no bottom boominess etc. I'm not really interested in trying 5000+ mixcombinations of cabs and then build new super IRs. Don't have the time for that kinda fun, so I really just need one awesome sounding IR and at the moment that's already in the Axe imho.

Still, knowing myself, I probably can't resist to buy them anyway....

I really just need one awesome sounding IR and at the moment that's already in the Axe imho.
I was in your camp... however, even with all the choices you eventually wind it down to a few very good sounding combinations. In my case, I loaded 2 of each cab: tweed 1x12, ac30 2x12, 4x12 30s, Orange 4x12 75s all off-axis .5" and 1" from cone (which sounded best to my ears) These are now my go-to cabs and have been working very well for me. Besides, $59 for the bigbox set won't break the bank either. ;)

LPSlinger said:
I really just need one awesome sounding IR and at the moment that's already in the Axe imho.
I was in your camp... however, even with all the choices you eventually wind it down to a few very good sounding combinations. In my case, I loaded 2 of each cab: tweed 1x12, ac30 2x12, 4x12 30s, Orange 4x12 75s all off-axis .5" and 1" from cone (which sounded best to my ears) These are now my go-to cabs and have been working very well for me. Besides, $59 for the bigbox set won't break the bank either. ;)
Yeah...I know I can't just leave it with everyone talking about them. Have to buy them probably (rather sooner than later :lol: )

Most people probably wont use 98% of the cabs. Out of all of the Redwirez stuff. I found my 10 (Cab limit) that are my go to. What they do though is let you find your sound, and not being limited to what Cliff put in the AX (that I still use a few). But say you work with an engineer (which is usually ourselves, lol)and they want a certain spectrum and bite, it allows you to get closer to what they hear without adjusting EQ.
I always wanted a monkey to move the mic around on the cabinet while I monitor.
Good monkey....

www.duaneramelot.com

"Besides, $59 for the bigbox set won't break the bank either." -- YES! I mean, with the amount that most people already have invested in the AxeFX the Red Wirez are worth their weight in gold, even if you only use a few of them (like I do). There is enough to get you started (and enough to keep you very happy) for a long time.
I just wanted to point out that imho some of the built in cabs sound pretty damn good and SOMETIMES work better than additional IR's that I have tried. YMMV.

Better is subjective.

To me the BigBox collection is MORE. MORE variety. MORE quality choices ON PAR with the stock Fractal IR's.

When you mic a cab, you move the mic to find the sweet spot. My sweet spot does NOT necessarily equal YOUR sweet spot. That's the key here.

With the User IR slots in the Axe-FX, we can - in effect - move the mic of our choice to WHERE we want virtually.

That's the key.

It's baffling to me that folks cannot grasp this concept (not pointing fingers at any one person specifically). If you have ever heard your amp/cab recorded, you lean very quickly that what you hear from the cab standing 4' away or so is NOT what the mic is sending to FOH or the recording desk.

Back
Top Bottom