Should there be a slight delay when changing presets with a midi footcontroller?

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Should there be a slight delay when changing Axe FxII presets with a midi foot controller? There is.
There is no delay when turning on and off effects within the same preset, but there is a delay when changing from one preset to another.
You can not switch immediately from one preset to another. The sound cuts out completely for a moment as you switch.
Is there a way to fix this so switching presets with a midi foot controller is immediate?
Is it the foot contollers fault or the Axe FxII, or is that just the way it is when using midi to change presets with any midi gear?

I've been using a system (before I got the Axe FxII) with A/B boxes and multiple amps like Eric Johnson's. Switching was immediate.

All the very best!
Terry

there is a slight delay as many parameters need to load. there are many threads about this and ways to work with it.

you can use x/y features of many blocks to switch with zero delay if necessary.

Should there be a slight delay when changing Axe FxII presets with a midi foot controller? There is.
There is no delay when turning on and off effects within the same preset, but there is a delay when changing from one preset to another.
You can not switch immediately from one preset to another. The sound cuts out completely for a moment as you switch.
Is there a way to fix this so switching presets with a midi foot controller is immediate?
Is it the foot contollers fault or the Axe FxII, or is that just the way it is when using midi to change presets with any midi gear?

I've been using a system (before I got the Axe FxII) with A/B boxes and multiple amps like Eric Johnson's. Switching was immediate.

All the very best!
Terry

When I first got my Axe-fx II I was using an OLD peavy midi controller and it would make the patch switching take a long time. When I got my Rocktrom Midi Mate, the switching was very fast. So, my question is, what midi controller are you using? If its ancient, its might be a little slow.

The change should be really quick. ~35ms.
I haven't measured it with the latest firmware though.

The change time can be a little long when going from 1 amp in a preset to another that has 2 or vice-versa. In that case it has to switch from hi res, to normal resolution. I have not measured the difference in time.

I am experiencing no perceived sense of latency at all in switching with the MFC-101 - 1.04 -> AXE-FX II - 4.01 via CAT-5. I am sure there is measurable micro delay, but I do not hear it enough to really notice. As far as audio drop out. I am getting zero. Just like hitting a switch on the Framptone amp switcher that i was using to switch and combine amps. Nothing - Feels instant. (I was getting 15 stutters originally on every patch change, but after reading YEK's WIKI, I learned that was due to transmitting on channel = OMNI. Once set to Channel 1, and following the recommendations on the WIKI, all was flawless/acceptable.
So it might be the relays/switches in your midi gear are just slower, or you could have a delay set on the CC message or something of that nature.
As others said, what is the equipment, age, and settings.

When I first got my Axe-fx II I was using an OLD peavy midi controller and it would make the patch switching take a long time. When I got my Rocktrom Midi Mate, the switching was very fast. So, my question is, what midi controller are you using? If its ancient, its might be a little slow.

Right now I am using a new Behringer FCB1010 with the EurekaProm, which makes it a breeze to program and use with the Axe FxII.
Effects inside a preset switch instantly, but there is a slight delay and dropout when switching whole presets.
I have several other midi foot controllers I can experiment with to see if the switching speed is different? They are just harder to program.

I didn't realize that different brands and types of midi foot controllers switch presets faster or slower than each other?
I hope to buy an MFC-101 eventually.

It has become sort of a common practice to build your presets from a common 'template'. If you use say, four presets for a song make four presets on your Axe II and two are for rhythm with no delay or verb and a bridge and solo with delay and verb then put a reverb and delay block in the chain and bypass them for the rhythm presets. I believe this reduces the loading time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

It has become sort of a common practice to build your presets from a common 'template'. If you use say, four presets for a song make four presets on your Axe II and two are for rhythm with no delay or verb and a bridge and solo with delay and verb then put a reverb and delay block in the chain and bypass them for the rhythm presets. I believe this reduces the loading time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I do not believe this is correct. cliff had spoke about adding this feature, but I do not believe it was ever implemented. Most of the drop out is need to stop the amp block from popping when the model changes.

It will take longer to go from 1 amp in a preset to 2 and vice versa.

Last edited:
The change should be really quick. ~35ms.
I haven't measured it with the latest firmware though.

The change time can be a little long when going from 1 amp in a preset to another that has 2 or vice-versa. In that case it has to switch from hi res, to normal resolution. I have not measured the difference in time.

If one amp presets load faster than two amp presets does this also mean that any preset that takes up more overall CPU will load slightly slower than a preset that has less CPU, but either way it is still pretty quick?

Is the MFC-101 really faster than other midi controllers when switching presets in the Axe FxII, (as another forum member suggested), or would the switching time be about the same no matter what new midi controller someone used?

If one amp presets load faster than two amp presets does this also mean that any preset that takes up more overall CPU will load slightly slower than a preset that has less CPU, but either way it is still pretty quick?

Is the MFC-101 really faster than other midi controllers when switching presets in the Axe FxII, (as another forum member suggested), or would the switching time be about the same no matter what new midi controller someone used?

It doesn't have to do with processing power. When using 1 amp, the amp block is in high res mode. When 2 amps are in a preset it goes to normal resolution. It takes a little more time to switch between the modes.

I doubt the mfc switches any quicker than many other controllers. I haven't measured though.

I do not believe this is correct. cliff had spoke about adding this feature, but I do not believe it was ever implemented. Most of the drop out is need to stop the amp block from popping when the model changes.
If this is ever implemented, it will be the final straw. I will have no choice but to upgrade, no matter how much it hurts....even if the dropout was limited only to blocks other than delay and reverb during spillover.

My fcb1010 is also slow compared to my other midi board,
but i think it can be programmed to run much faster,turn of omni mode,remove cc´s , no relay´s
i will experiment

Argh just got a Art Ultrafoot-x15 to go with the Axe-FXII I recieved yesterday and saw this thread. Haven't tried the 2 together yet but I hope this delay isn't an issue as I am using it live and delays between presets isn't going to cut it at all.

the only thing I can add here is that any time you switch amp type either by changing preset, or via the X-Y feature there will be an audio drop out..
it was explained to me that this is deliberately there to prevent clicks, pops and such when the next amp model is loaded..
apparently the drop was made as short as is possible and is unlikely to be improved upon..
there are also preset change limitations with respect to delays and reverbs.. these however can be worked around reasonably easily via some shrewd / careful preset programming..
the only unit I have ever come across that has 100% seemless patch changes with no drop, no limitations to delays and reverbs etc is the Digitech 2120..
but this is not a modelling unit and does not have the same issues to overcome..
I'd guess that the only way a modelling unit could be created to have zero drop out, would be one that has an audio processor too many for amps and another for the digital fx.. that way when you change patch you switch the the other processor pair.. change patch again and you switch back to the other pair..

That's why there is "spillover" for your reverb and delay, to smooth it out. You need to turn spillover ON however.

I didn't realize that different brands and types of midi foot controllers switch presets faster or slower than each other?
They don't. A MIDI PC message is just 2 bytes set at an industry standard speed. How long the connencted equipment takes to reeact and reconfigure the new patch is what matters.

Different MFCs can send additional (and possibly unneccesary) messages before and after the PC message, which means that the PC message you send might not be sent for a few milliseconds after you press the button, but the connected gear wont know to "start" changing a patch until it receives the PC message.

I've heard one of petrucci's old rigs (no axe fx) have a delay when he switched patches. I thinks this is just how it is with most gear. To be honest it isn't a problem at all for me as I won't be holding a chord then switching patches. Even switching channels only on my Mesa roadster, there was a pop if I was holding a chord so I just got in the habit of not holding a chord for that short time.

Like I said before if you need to hold a chord and switch clean to dirty or something, use the x/y of the amp block or whatever effect you need since there is no delay.

Back
Top Bottom