Should I wait...?

Well... I got the Axe FX II last night. Sorry to say, I'm not a fan. Ran it through my computer last night, and out through my studio speakers. Wasn't terribly impressed with the factory presets. Then I tone matched Doyle Bramhall II's tone at the intro of Problem Child. Was impressed. Then I found a Dumble patch in Axe-Exchange - Was really impressed, and had hope. Today I ran it through an old SS amp I have, via the power amp in section of the amp. Not impressed at all. Then I ran it stereo into the effects loop returns on the two Marshall JTM 30's I have. Sound better, but still not at all close to useable. As suggested, I turned off the speaker sims - Sounded worse. I'm sure I could spend hrs, if not days tweaking to get something close to what I'd consider a natural, organic amp tone - there's certainly enough tweakable parameters, but... I'd rather just stick to real amps. There's just a characteristic that sounds digital and harsh to my ears. Was considering getting a FRFR powered cab, but I've read comments suggesting those don't even produce the characteristics of a real cab.

Oh well...

Well... I got the Axe FX II last night. Sorry to say, I'm not a fan. Ran it through my computer last night, and out through my studio speakers. Wasn't terribly impressed with the factory presets. Then I tone matched Doyle Bramhall II's tone at the intro of Problem Child. Was impressed. Then I found a Dumble patch in Axe-Exchange - Was really impressed, and had hope. Today I ran it through an old SS amp I have, via the power amp in section of the amp. Not impressed at all. Then I ran it stereo into the effects loop returns on the two Marshall JTM 30's I have. Sound better, but still not at all close to useable. As suggested, I turned off the speaker sims - Sounded worse. I'm sure I could spend hrs, if not days tweaking to get something close to what I'd consider a natural, organic amp tone - there's certainly enough tweakable parameters, but... I'd rather just stick to real amps. There's just a characteristic that sounds digital and harsh to my ears. Was considering getting a FRFR powered cab, but I've read comments suggesting those don't even produce the characteristics of a real cab.

Oh well...

You should probably spend more than one night with it, to give it a fair shot.....

I just get the impression that (as a whole - with all the pre/power amp/cab features) this device is designed more for recording than live use.

Oh well...

LOTS of people are happy with FRFR cabs/speakers .. you need to read a bit more...

Yup! I've used so many types of speakers as my "amp" or on stage monitor. I used QSC k10s for a while, now using an RCF nx12sma.

My favorite part of running direct is that I can turn down/off my stage amp and hear it just out of the PA mains, even just from on stage, so I know what my audience is hearing - which really is the most important part.

fwiw, I smell a lot of frustration and eye rolling about to come with respect to the OP. This happened for me with this statement:

Sorry to say, I'm not a fan. Ran it through my computer last night, and out through my studio speakers. Wasn't terribly impressed with the factory presets. Then I tone matched Doyle Bramhall II's tone at the intro of Problem Child. Was impressed. Then I found a Dumble patch in Axe-Exchange - Was really impressed, and had hope. Today I ran it through an old SS amp I have, via the power amp in section of the amp. Not impressed at all. Then I ran it stereo into the effects loop returns on the two Marshall JTM 30's I have. Sound better, but still not at all close to useable.

you've violated your mood swing - per - minute quota. I've had girlfriends that were the same way. it never ends well.

fwiw, I smell a lot of frustration and eye rolling about to come with respect to the OP. This happened for me with this statement:

you've violated your mood swing - per - minute quota. I've had girlfriends that were the same way. it never ends well.

Hey now... :| I'm still working with it, trying to find the sweet spot with the gear I have. Getting closer, but still not there. But, I'm like that. I can usually tell within the first hour if something is going to work for me. I've already got thousands of dollars in gear, and I'm just trying to decide if this will work with it; if I'll be forced to pony up another 1K for a FRFR speaker, or if I should just stick with the rig I've got, which I'm VERY happy with. I figured, if I can match my current rig, AND add 10+ usable rig tones to it = awesome. Like I said, it just seems that when you have to shut off speaker sims and power amp sims because you're going through real speakers and pa's... it kinda defeats the purpose of having all those features. OR, you invest more, and get FRFR powered cabs. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but I'm not an "out of the box fan" - sacrilege on this forum... I know... There's just a certain hi-end harshness I'm trying to tame. Suggestions are welcome.

Rootwitch: You sound want us to do what exactly? I mean, why didn't you stick with your existing rig?

You've spent a lot of money on a serious piece of professional audio equipment, and after 12 posts and a couple of days you're writing it off? Professional gear takes a long time to assimilate into how you do things.

I strongly suggest you read loads on this excellent forum, keep quiet and make it work for you. (Search "Yek" and try out his system). OR put your gear up for sale, cut your losses and crack on with whatever takes your fancy.

Best of luck either way!

...I feel like I've mistakenly entered a cult...
Nah, just an internet forum for an expensive product. They are all kinda like this to some extent.

Another common feature of threads like this is the recounting of the following tale. "I got the Axe and I wasn't blown away. I mean, it was good, but that was a LOT of money I spent. Then I started to dive in with the editing, and made a very basic patch from scratch. Just an amp, a cab and a bit of reverb. Scrolled through the cabs until I found one that works for me. Maybe a Tube screamer in front of the amp. A touch of delay after. OHGODOHGODTHISTHINGISAMAZING!!!!!" True story, and happens to a LOT of people with the axe :)

...I feel like I've mistakenly entered a cult...

No. Most players here are genuine tone seekers and a great deal of professional users. I don't do 'cults' nor do I buy into any 'internet' gear lore. I just been at it too long and honestly I have found so little of that here. What I have found is alot passion for this gear and alot freely given user knowledge (that may be cult-ish but alot people find it supportive). Having had it for just 3 weeks now, I understand why. If you expected 'out of the box' goodness, it may be little more exciting than alot of other gear. But if you want YOUR sound + massive flexibility + more available for instant recall live or in the studio then this is likely the right piece of equipment.

Just like you have heard already, just dig in. At the end of the day you can always use your current rig. I am 1000% satisfied with my live amp/pedal board rig and use the AXE for recording/studio sessions only at this point. I understand what it is like to match a great live rig or to try and replace it. You still have a few more days anyway to decide. Coming from studio background I personally was sold on the first day. Best of luck!! Cheers!!

The "cult" comment was relative to the fact that when I suggested I wasn't blown away by the device, and wasn't able to find a compatible live config, people responded rather negatively, as though I was personally insulting them for using it.

IDK... I might respond the same way in a year.

That being said, I've discovered the setup that may likely work for me is a direct connection to my PA as Chris had suggested. It sounds considerably better (more organic) both through the PA speakers, and my powered floor monitor. It'll still require a lot of tweaking to find that sweet spot, but that's something I've never been afraid of. I'm one of those gear geeks that likes reading manuals... Hope I didn't bother anyone too much while I posted here during my discovery phase. You may now roll your eyes back to center...

And, yes... I'm one of those genuine tone seekers too. Hence my initial frustration. If I didn't care about tone, I would have just been happy that sound came out of it... :)

It takes a while to learn everything in the axefx2 . my next thing to learn is loading Cab IR's. There's 2 different sounds 1 is a power amp and guitar Cabs for live is what I use for stage output 2, then you have frfr cabs for that miked up and sound and foh. then you have a fr sound for Recording direct. VERY Versatile !

The "cult" comment was relative to the fact that when I suggested I wasn't blown away by the device, and wasn't able to find a compatible live config, people responded rather negatively, as though I was personally insulting them for using it.

Really? I just read all the posts pertaining to you. I didn't see a single insult or negative insinuation, in fact only support? That is the general 'cult'ure here...support. Perhaps you have posted in another thread? There is always one clown on a forum, I run into them on occasion, but that ain't unusual online and they generally offer little substance anyway. Glad you are working through it. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom