Should I wait...?

The life cycle of products in this industry is far longer than, say, cell phones and tablet computers.

Do you think that may change?

When I think about it I fear that truth may eventually change, mostly because of your work... that is, you've created a product so advanced and so capable that many other modellers/effects processors have been left behind by generations. These companies certainly aren't going to accept defeat forever, at some point in time they will at least attempt to step up their game and provide the market with a device similar to that of your own.

Using cell phones as an example is a perfect analogy, for years the technology was stagnant enough to simply not justify constant model revision... times changed, technology changed, soon enough every major player felt a need to provide their consumer base the latest and greatest as fast as possible, for fear of losing that customer to the competitor.

Will that happen here? With guitar effects processors? I wonder.

Gee, I sure hope not. Perceived value of the current models will plummet. I think a floor model would be excellent, but which corners could be cut in order to make it 'lower priced' and still retain its depth? If anything an all in one floor model could be cheaper than the MFC and AXE II combined, but still at least be as retail priced as the AXE II. Anything 'cheaper' will have to be cheaper. That image will be blanketed on all Fractal products. Obviously sales are what keep a company in business, though seeing the Kemper as an example discounted on multiple big box stores feels cheap to me. Perception is important. I can imagine Fractal wanting to sell more units, but I can't imagine a company like Fractal wanting to make 30-40% less per unit sold simply to expand the business. If these had been designed to be sold 'retail' to begin with, that would be something else perhaps. Just an opinion. Cheers.

Agree totally. Hope Fractal don't go down this route. Though appreciate they have a business to run. However, it will just cheapen the brand. I guess it's the same thing PRS did a few years ago. And god knows what Gibson are playing at with some of the low end stuff they are knocking out!!!!! .......sorry going off thread here......

That was such a humble way of reassuring someone to invest in their product. I couldn't agree more. Buy one now and never look back.

I must interject, Fractal makes outstanding products, as you all here know... if they're able to release a product at a lower price point, providing an option to consumers that would otherwise not be able to experience what Fractal has to offer, we should all be supportive and encouraging of that.

The suggestion that the exclusivity of ownership being deteriorated somehow correlates to the quality of the product, your user experience, or the range of tonal options provided is nonsense and should have no place at all in such a discussion.

I will add, on this forum, if Fractal is to release a lower priced "Axe Jr" either in rack or floorboard format, I will most certainly be on the list of guaranteed owners.

If you need to ask, then I think you should probably wait. There's always going to be something better just round the corner - like the greener grass next door.

Or you can just do.

The Joy of Fractal is that you can do both - 'Do' and then 'Wait' - for AE to be fixed, FW 11+, the Mac OS etc - but in the meantime, you can make some seriously serious soundzzz.

Just buy one Man, then agonise over the next set of questions: Guitar Cabs or FRFR? > Atomic or Matrix? It's endless.

Do you think that may change?

When I think about it I fear that truth may eventually change, mostly because of your work... that is, you've created a product so advanced and so capable that many other modellers/effects processors have been left behind by generations. These companies certainly aren't going to accept defeat forever, at some point in time they will at least attempt to step up their game and provide the market with a device similar to that of your own.

Using cell phones as an example is a perfect analogy, for years the technology was stagnant enough to simply not justify constant model revision... times changed, technology changed, soon enough every major player felt a need to provide their consumer base the latest and greatest as fast as possible, for fear of losing that customer to the competitor.

Will that happen here? With guitar effects processors? I wonder.

AXE FX II is at the TOP, competing with TUBE AMP TECH... and with every GTR FX... still plenty of power to improve... we don't need and AXE FX III by now... perhaps in two or three years from now... better four.

Cell phones and tablet improvement is simply not comparable with what we need. Even is a bit of a trap to keep us changing devices for the sake of money,...but changes in FX firmware are most valuable than changes in tablets and phones hardware.

Any piece of modern technology purchased today will eventually become a poor economic decision. These devices, while incredibly valuable now, and capable of providing to you a franchise of tonal variety will absolutely be rendered substandard by the devices sold tomorrow.

The question must be, would you enjoy the ownership of an Axe FX II right now? And would you enjoy that enough to justify the money spent?

In 10 years you will not be using the Axe FX II, you will instead be using the Axe FX V, or some other newer version product made by one of an endless amount of other companies.

I see what you're saying, but the AxeFX 2 in 10 years will still sound as awesome as it does today. Next to a tube amp today, it still sounds awesome. Once you get "there" as far as realism, there's no getting "more" realistic than the modeled tube amp.

Compared to Apple, which is a publicly-traded company, would probably see its stock hit hard if it was to one year say, "You know, our current iPhones and iPads are good enough. We won't release a new model this year". Fractal will release a new AxeFX when it makes sense to do so, not to fill some arbitrary yearly requirement. The benefit is that when a new one is released, it will be a true generational leap and not just an incremental improvement.

So, I'm already so happy with my AxeFX 2 that it could be the center of my guitar rig for a lifetime. Any future advances are just icing on the cake. I'm intrigued at what Fractal might come up with next to sway me to upgrade.

The original AxeFX tech (counting the Standard and Ultra as the same basic platform) had a shelf life of 5 years. The 2 just hit its 2nd year. I don't think you'll have to worry about it being superseded in the near future.

I never owned a Standard, but I owned an Ultra. I sold it with no trouble when the II came out. If you do buy the II and the III comes out, you won't lose your total investment. You'll have your use + your knowledge of the 'platform' + the money you'll recap from the sale of the II. Either way, chances are you'll have the Fractal Audio monkey-on-your-back just like the rest of us. There's not much more pathetic than dragging your wife to the studio so that she can hear "tone". That look in her eye that says, "I love you, but you're in a place that's a little scary." Yeah. That happens.

I see what you're saying, but the AxeFX 2 in 10 years will still sound as awesome as it does today. Next to a tube amp today, it still sounds awesome. Once you get "there" as far as realism, there's no getting "more" realistic than the modeled tube amp.

Compared to Apple, which is a publicly-traded company, would probably see its stock hit hard if it was to one year say, "You know, our current iPhones and iPads are good enough. We won't release a new model this year". Fractal will release a new AxeFX when it makes sense to do so, not to fill some arbitrary yearly requirement. The benefit is that when a new one is released, it will be a true generational leap and not just an incremental improvement.

So, I'm already so happy with my AxeFX 2 that it could be the center of my guitar rig for a lifetime. Any future advances are just icing on the cake. I'm intrigued at what Fractal might come up with next to sway me to upgrade.

The original AxeFX tech (counting the Standard and Ultra as the same basic platform) had a shelf life of 5 years. The 2 just hit its 2nd year. I don't think you'll have to worry about it being superseded in the near future.

Oh absolutely, I agree that the Axe FX II will sound just as great in ten years as it does today, but here's the difference... GAS is not driven by logical conclusion.

No matter how good something is, something better will always come along. When it does, all of a sudden what you have simply isn't good enough any more.

The internet drives this concept quicker than any other format I've seen in my lifetime. It's beyond a need, it's a must. The concept that all of a sudden the Axe FX Ultra isn't "good enough" any more now that the Axe FX II is available. Even though many people were able to achieve tone from the Ultra that had them saying "I can't imagine ever needing anything else."

I love the Axe FX products, including the II. But I recognize when the next big thing comes along, the FX II will be left behind. That's just how things work.

Oh absolutely, I agree that the Axe FX II will sound just as great in ten years as it does today, but here's the difference... GAS is not driven by logical conclusion.

No matter how good something is, something better will always come along. When it does, all of a sudden what you have simply isn't good enough any more.
But I recognize when the next big thing comes along, the FX II will be left behind. That's just how things work.

I have never found this true of working or touring professionals, myself included. There is major time investment in acquiring the right gear and real-time major upside to developing a stable rig. While some new technology may be exciting I have found that short-term need / GAS satisfaction is generally reserved for the hobbyist or the person still searching a magic bullet or to keep up with the jones. Certainly professional musicians embrace technology, but never at the cost of their stability. I have found many AXE FX users to fall into this category. Cheers.

I have never found this true of working or touring professionals, myself included. There is major time investment in acquiring the right gear and real-time major upside to developing a stable rig. While some new technology may be exciting I have found that short-term need / GAS satisfaction is generally reserved for the hobbyist or the person still searching a magic bullet or to keep up with the jones. Certainly professional musicians embrace technology, but never at the cost of their stability. I have found many AXE FX users to fall into this category. Cheers.

I have to agree from the standpoint I still know musicians that refuse to even accept the Axe FX II. They're set in their tone from years and years of experience. Be it just a Marshall JMP, Mesa Quad, or what have you.

But I also know several musicians who switched from the Axe FX Ultra to the Axe FX II as soon as they were able to get their hands on one. Not that anything they produced with the Ultra was substandard, just that they recognized the newer features may be of assistance to them down the line. So they upgraded.

I fully suspect that will hold true when the Axe FX III is released.

My original point to the concept of much more rapid technological development in this area, guitar effects/emulation processors comes from the fact that I know far more enthusiast owners of the Axe FX II than I do professionals. I firmly believe Line 6, Roland, Avid, Zoom, Fender, etc. are watching the Axe FX II fanfare very closely and want in on this cash cow as quickly as possible.

The near future will bring to us incredible advancements in guitar amplifier emulation technology, you can bet on that.

The internet drives this concept quicker than any other format I've seen in my lifetime. It's beyond a need, it's a must. The concept that all of a sudden the Axe FX Ultra isn't "good enough" any more now that the Axe FX II is available. Even though many people were able to achieve tone from the Ultra that had them saying "I can't imagine ever needing anything else."

I love the Axe FX products, including the II. But I recognize when the next big thing comes along, the FX II will be left behind. That's just how things work.

You are comparing guitar players with greedy tech nonsense consumers... When there are still a vast mayority loving tube amps
Please play and share your music

You are comparing guitar players with greedy tech nonsense consumers... When there are still a vast mayority loving tube amps
Please play and share your music

I recognize the difference, but that's not the correct topic for discussion. Fractal didn't set out to produce something only professional guitar players would buy. While that might be their prime demographic, they're more than happy to sell to anyone with the $2K in hand. It's a business first and foremost, to continue their development and future production they need cash flow.

The greedy tech nonsense consumers are what drives future development.

Agreed. What I love about digital is the stability. I can tweek little by little, gig to gig, and save it. Over time things get more and more refined, but I rarely have a big dial in session. If my hardware goes down, I can instantly restore my sounds to a new unit. That's insanely awesome.

Know what the Axe II replaced for me? a Digitech 2101 and a Triaxis. I had that old rig for an awfully long time. Finally something came along that sounded better by a big enough margin to make me upgrade. Same with keyboards - my Korg Triton is more than ten years old and still sounds freaking great. Do I lust after cool new gear that comes out? You betcha! Can I make awesome sounds with what I have now? Abso-ma-lutely!

Seriously, the Axe II already feels like something sent back from twenty years in the future. If I never had another guitar processor I would still be all set.

Know what the Axe II replaced for me? a Digitech 2101 and a Triaxis. I had that old rig for an awfully long time. Finally something came along that sounded better by a big enough margin to make me upgrade. Same with keyboards - my Korg Triton is more than ten years old and still sounds freaking great. Do I lust after cool new gear that comes out? You betcha! Can I make awesome sounds with what I have now? Abso-ma-lutely!

Seriously, the Axe II already feels like something sent back from twenty years in the future. If I never had another guitar processor I would still be all set.

There's surprisingly still an active 2101 community out there. People still dig them. Funny thing, I'm starting to see really old Digitech MFX's like the GSP-5 up for sale at a premium because they're "vintage". I'm like, "Dude, I used to have one of those. Seriously, its not vintage, its just an old fizz machine....a Pocket Pod could blow it away."

Actually, The Triaxis is moving on, but I'm keeping the 2101. Still sounds good, and I figure it is worth more to me than I could get for it. Not the worst backup rig in the world either.

One thing I've learned over the years is that I never sell stuff off.... maybe trade for something of equal value, but never sell it.

for the OP, I had the same question, and then just took the plunge, given you get a 15 days no questions asked return policy, its plenty of time to give it a nice whirl, and I'm saying with confidence, you won't be returning it.

Back
Top Bottom