Should I wait...?

Sonically, I'm not sure what a next generation Axe could bring to the table - Maybe more "features" and flexibility but the tone we're getting these days is astonishing. V10 has really upped the game considerably and everything behaves like a "real" amp... Most of us use just a handful of what's there amp-wise but the ability to play with all these other esoteric amps is mind boggling. What happens when all the desirable tube amps out there have been captured in the Axe?
Anyway - it's the single best purchase any serious guitarist will ever make IMO. I hope the price point always stays where it's at as a reminder that it's really light years beyond all the other stuff out there.

There are all sorts of things that could be done with an Axe III.

Dual color displays for dual rigs, analog switches for different triad modes, on/off 12ax7 preamps, 1u form factor, 128gb SSD drives for track storage... blah blah, I mean, with technology it's not always about "improvements" as much as it is about "new features".

My take is still this simple: If you can get $2K worth of enjoyment out of it, THEN BUY THE GOSH DARN THING and enjoy it! Life is short.

A better looper would be great. But that's easily rectified by a good looper pedal, such as the Boomerang Phrase Sampler.

I seriously think the next MAJOR thing that will be in an axe fx III will be tone matching (or profiling if you prefer)...though being able to do it with ANY AMP...just like a kemper! I am talking hook up a mic to an amp and do tone matching that way...with any amp...even a sears roebuck if you wanted to.....though WHY you would want to would be a mystery. Still, it would be cool to have the axe fx III be able to do what the kemper could with any amp. Right now it is limited to the amps in the axe fx. Hopefully, that will change.

Maybe he will add a third chip to be dedicated to this feature?

That would be one of the few major changes he could make with an axe fx III.

But to the OP's question "should you wait"?

I would say NO!

Last edited:
I hope there won't be any new axe-fx units anytime in the near 4-5 years. The Axe-fx II is just unbelievably amazing to even think of another 'newer' unit besides another 'mark' version lol.

I seriously think the next MAJOR thing that will be in an axe fx III will be tone matching (or profiling if you prefer)...though being able to do it with ANY AMP...just like a kemper! I am talking hook up a mic to an amp and do tone matching that way...with any amp...even a sears roebuck if you wanted to.....though WHY you would want to would be a mystery. Still, it would be cool to have the axe fx III be able to do what the kemper could with any amp. Right now it is limited to the amps in the axe fx. Hopefully, that will change.

Maybe he will add a third chip to be dedicated to this feature?

That would be one of the few major changes he could make with an axe fx III.

But to the OP's question "should you wait"?

I would say NO!

What amp can you not tonematch now?
I am sure if you say what you want, there will be loads of People here doing it for you.

If Fractal is to release a lower priced "Axe Jr" either in rack or floorboard format, I will most certainly be on the list of guaranteed owners.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why wait/hope for a 'Jr" version when you can buy the actual, working, realized version right now? I believe if you owned this you would not need or desire a B-class version and would understand its value. Anyone who does't want to pay the asking price doubtfully understands the real value. I find at 2K+ it is a bargain. This isn't a POD, gratefully (All respect to my friends at Line 6 and their users). Fortunately, there is little 'fluff features' to trim on this. Unlike so much 'prosumer' gear, this is not a box trying to be more than it should be with bloated features that raise the cost. It cover fundamental tones, the essentials. In my experience, career minded guitar players will pay for or save for the 'fundamental' gear they need/want. I appreciate that not all professional tools have to become 'prosumer' or have to offer a B-class option. Why not buy it now and see for yourself? You don't have to wait on a list for a 'stripped down' version. There is not much that can be stripped.

I didn't have doubts, but I also didn't have experience with it, only amazing video demos by guitar players I respect. I believe it should be experienced to understand. Someone here on the forum was gracious enough to come to my studio and spend a few hours with me. It helped me feel into it. Perhaps you can do the same? I am certain someone here would. Positive. The 'difference' between what I knew as 'modeling' (Line 6 HD, Amplitube, COSM etc) and the AXE FX is startling really. I don't buy gear for resale so I am not concerned about that. Gee, I will get my investment back 1000x plus. Cheers.

I'm relatively new to Fractal Audio Systems, and not sure what their release history has been like - I'm interested in the FX II, but, as it's been out for some time, I suspect an FX III would be right around the corner...? So... kinda like buying Apple products... Should I buy now (well, probably next month), or should I wait?

I would definitely buy one now if you have the scratch. Folks here have most likely given you more than enough reasons why (I didn't read through all the posts). I don't know anyone at Fractal but, based on Cliff's comments on this board that I've read over time, I think the Axe II will have a few more years in it's current iteration. I've seen this comment posted numerous times by others and I have said it myself: this is one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. It's a tool (or even an instrument in the right hands).. but it's a hell of tool. Life's short... treat yourself baby...

This doesn't make sense to me. Why wait/hope for a 'Jr" version when you can buy the actual, working, realized version right now? I believe if you owned this you would not need or desire a B-class version and would understand its value. Anyone who does't want to pay the asking price doubtfully understands the real value. I find at 2K+ it is a bargain. This isn't a POD, gratefully (All respect to my friends at Line 6 and their users). Fortunately, there is little 'fluff features' to trim on this. Unlike so much 'prosumer' gear, this is not a box trying to be more than it should be with bloated features that raise the cost. It cover fundamental tones, the essentials. In my experience, career minded guitar players will pay for or save for the 'fundamental' gear they need/want. I appreciate that not all professional tools have to become 'prosumer' or have to offer a B-class option. Why not buy it now and see for yourself? You don't have to wait on a list for a 'stripped down' version. There is not much that can be stripped.

I didn't have doubts, but I also didn't have experience with it, only amazing video demos by guitar players I respect. I believe it should be experienced to understand. Someone here on the forum was gracious enough to come to my studio and spend a few hours with me. It helped me feel into it. Perhaps you can do the same? I am certain someone here would. Positive. The 'difference' between what I knew as 'modeling' (Line 6 HD, Amplitube, COSM etc) and the AXE FX is startling really. I don't buy gear for resale so I am not concerned about that. Gee, I will get my investment back 1000x plus. Cheers.

+1

The other point I would make is that a lot of AXE users, particularly those using it as a live tool like myself, only use a limited amount of the features. A few amps types, couple of drives, delays, chorus etc etc.

I.e we're paying for the Quality not the Quantity (though the quantity is there also).

If a stripped back 'all in one' floor unit was out there at say a third of the price - yes it would be 'great', BUT surely it would destroy much of the core market.

+1
If a stripped back 'all in one' floor unit was out there at say a third of the price - yes it would be 'great', BUT surely it would destroy much of the core market.

Try buying even your "stripped back floor unit" FX and the amps you use live.... Add that all up and subtract the cost of an FRFR monitor and you'll find the Axe is easily the most cost-effective (and lighter and all the rest of it...).

for the OP....

A couple of things should be clear at this point, regardless of whether you're a hobbyist with GAS or a pro or something in between: this thread is a testament to Fractal Audio Systems. You're seeing happy, satisfied users (and lots of them, myself included) who are glad to freely share their experiences and helpful tips to those who come here. This is what you ALSO get, beyond an exceptional piece of processing equipment: an excellent forum and DIRECT feedback from the owner and developers of the product.

Nobody has a crystal ball (other than Cliff, maybe) as to the next FAS offering, but as an Ultra owner (as well as the AFXII), I can tell you that even though it's Firmware cycle has reached its end, it will still be an incredibly useful and valuable processor that will be used for many years to come, and I've been using it for 3 years now as it stands. Even though there will be technical advancements in the future, really good gear always will be resilient and have a useful spot in your arsenal of effects. I recently (sadly) sold my old Lexicon PCM 41 digital delay (mono, non-programmable, one-trick pony, all manual settings) for more than the purchase price when I got it new in 1983.

"Newer and more technically advanced" does not always translate automatically into "better". A product has to fill a specific need, do it well and sound "musical" while doing it. Many products spec out great on paper but for some reason just don't pass the in-use application sonic sniff test. This is not something you have to worry about with FAS products, which are most excellent sounding processors. I say buy it, and learn to use it well. Then it will serve you well. JMHO.

Here's what I think will happen:

After about 6 months of being a new dad, Cliff will decide that he's done with the long hours and upgrade criticisms and will bag this whole thing and sell it off to CBS so that he can spend more time with his family.

CBS will close down the forum, never update the firmware again (because no one except Cliff can understand it), move manufacturing to China (cutting lots of corners along the way), and start selling the Axe-FX II at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc. for $999.99US

The prices of "vintage Pre-CBS" Fractal Axe-FX units will skyrocket, so at least we can sell the ones we have if we need to pay off our houses at some point.

By the time his son is old enough to go off to elementary school, Cliff will decide he wants to get back in the game and has some mind blowing ideas that he's been cooking up for 6 years so he announces on the internets that he wants to form a public corporation to buy back the intellectual property & naming rights for FAS Axe-FX II with the help of the original loyal user base (that's us).

We will all be part owners in the new FAS and the Axe-FX III will be the most phenomenal audio processing device ever imagined by mere humans.

So, see the story has a happy ending.

But, that's just my speculation. ;)

Hey, it was time for this thread to go off the rails, right? :lol

What amp can you not tonematch now?
I am sure if you say what you want, there will be loads of People here doing it for you.

I am posting what what Cliff said about tone matching.

He said it the tone matching WAS limited to amps that sounded like the amp models in the axe fx II.

And I don't want an amp to be tone matched, just adding to the discussion on new features an axe fx III could have.

But if you don't believe me, go ask Cliff for yourself.

Though I STILL think it would be cool if you could hook up any mic to any amp and tone match it.

Here's what I think will happen:

After about 6 months of being a new dad, Cliff will decide that he's done with the long hours and upgrade criticisms and will bag this whole thing and sell it off to CBS so that he can spend more time with his family.

CBS will close down the forum, never update the firmware again (because no one except Cliff can understand it), move manufacturing to China (cutting lots of corners along the way), and start selling the Axe-FX II at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc. for $999.99US

The prices of "vintage Pre-CBS" Fractal Axe-FX units will skyrocket, so at least we can sell the ones we have if we need to pay off our houses at some point.

By the time his son is old enough to go off to elementary school, Cliff will decide he wants to get back in the game and has some mind blowing ideas that he's been cooking up for 6 years so he announces on the internets that he wants to form a public corporation to buy back the intellectual property & naming rights for FAS Axe-FX II with the help of the original loyal user base (that's us).

We will all be part owners in the new FAS and the Axe-FX III will be the most phenomenal audio processing device ever imagined by mere humans.

So, see the story has a happy ending.

But, that's just my speculation. ;)

Hey, it was time for this thread to go off the rails, right? :lol

Ummmmm....Cliff is NOT the Fender Corporation! LOL! I doubt seriously CBS would ever again get into the music business like they did with Fender after nearly running it into the ground.

I would doubt this would happen....though with a new new baby and being a new father, the firmware upgrades may get a little longer.

Last edited:
I'll throw my $0.02 in with the rest. I agree with so many of the previous posts--I bought an Ultra about 5 year ago, and after two years upgraded it for a II. Both are the best purchases I've ever made. I got ~75% of my original purchase price when I sold my Ultra, because value in technology (despite what's new & cool) is based on a combination of intrinsic functional value plus supply & demand, just like it is for non-technology products. The primary difference is, in many cases with technology, newer stuff is not only technically superior in every way, but also cheaper than the previous model, which completely obsoletes it. I don't see that happening here--the II is so capable, I would be happy if this were the last piece of gear I ever bought. That's enormous intrinsic functional value; in fact, there has never been another piece of gear I felt that way about, I was always GASing for the next version because of limitations of the current one. I no longer feel that way; the Axe-Fx II has in-fact cured my GAS completely. That doesn't mean I'll never buy another piece of equipment, but I'm not in constant pursuit of such, nor do I find myself flipping through the latest magazines hoping for some silver bullet as another poster mentioned.

To the OP: You will not be disappointed in an Axe-Fx II, I can pretty much guarantee you that you will look back and say it's the best digital purchase you've ever made, much like the rest of us. If you decide after trying it that you don't like it, you can return it within 15 days. If it takes you 30, 60, or even 90 days to decide it's not right for you, guess what? You'll still be able to get 90% of your original purchase price back if you sell used. You really have nothing to lose here.

Just to echo others' sentiments: I have no affiliation with Fractal whatsoever. I do not effuse their praise because they're "cool"; instead, I base it on more important tangible factors like product quality, innovation, and customer service. I think you'll find the same as so many else have; this is truly the product that sells itself via word-of-mouth, and for very good reason.

Back
Top Bottom