Scenes, Snapshots, Presets, etc...

I didn't think it would be. I actually get a passable Jerry tone with the "Blackface" setting on an old 20 watt small Fender Mustang solid state. It doesn't rival my Twin with the two JBL E120s in it, but when my amp went down, it was a great emergency backup.

Anyway, any help you can give me is appreciated. As for my guitar, I have a custom built (no name on it) Rosebud copy from a Luther who lives out in CA. I am in NY City. Anyway, it has the effects loop built in and the UGB as well.
My Dead tones are more Dead-and-Company than Grateful-Dead. So everything is tuned for a Silver Sky and a Dumble amp setup.

I had a Jerry tone thing once, a long time ago, I could maybe ressurect.

I'm trying to remember the name of the other forum member here who uses a Wolfie with the OBEL and loop on it with his Axe-Fx III and does go for the very Jerry tones...drawing a blank right now but I'll search around. His tones were excellent and probably better suited to your guitar.

Edit: Found him! @rp911! Here's his post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-does-grateful-dead-mutron-iii-effect.112794/ -- oh wow, AX8. Huh. I've been around here a looooong time.

@rp911 had his JBL-equipped cabs captured and shared his IRs in this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/who-wants-some-jbl-irs.19906/ -- they're on the second page IIRC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommends, @Stratman68! I may cycle back to them later. Right now, my priority is getting some good tones/sounds/amp-models for a gig this weekend (that I think may get moved to the following Saturday). So I want to focus on rehearsals and the sounds I need to get started. But I will definitely check those presets out!

@iaresee, I like and respect Mayer, and enjoy him on his own, but I was never a big fan of him with The Dead. He is okay in the role, certainly better than anyone else Bobby and company had to fill the role since 1995, but I was always a little meh about him in the lead guitar role. Talented as hell in his own stuff, though.

Thanks for tagging those guys, as they can probably chime in as well. I will check out those presets, since you said that @rp911 captured them from the actual JBL cabs.

Another question I keep forgetting to ask! So focused on the electric stuff, but I also want to use this as a replacement for my acoustic guitar rig. I am quite sure the Fractal is up to the task, so what do you guys recommend? Since I literally never use effects on an acoustic guitar, except for reverb and on rare occasions some very light chorus, I don't imagine this will be a tough thing to do.

On a side note, the chorus on the Roland Jazz Chorus may be the best chorus I have ever heard in my life!

I gather neither of you are looking for early Jerry tones - Anthem, first Live Dead? Whole different animal...

No definitely not. I love that early Dead stuff, but back then, both Bobby and Jerry were playing with humbuckers, and Jerry had a very fat sound. Which is fine, but for that material, I much prefer the single coil sound. Plus, all of this was way before Jerry's built-in effects loop, the modified Twins with E120's and the UGB.

On a side note, the chorus on the Roland Jazz Chorus may be the best chorus I have ever heard in my life!
Love the way the Roland does it's stereo thing. The key to copping it's vibe is to put the chorus on just one side, left or right, not both. There's a preset link in the comments on the clip.

Another question I keep forgetting to ask! So focused on the electric stuff, but I also want to use this as a replacement for my acoustic guitar rig. I am quite sure the Fractal is up to the task, so what do you guys recommend? Since I literally never use effects on an acoustic guitar, except for reverb and on rare occasions some very light chorus, I don't imagine this will be a tough thing to do.
Acoustics and the FM9 are peanut butter and jelly.

You can run your acoustic through a similar signal chain (chorus and reverb) or you can add in an acoustic IR if you want. They can help tame some quack. I like to bring a compressor along in my acoustic presets. Sometimes a CAB block with a NULL IR and then I turn up on the tape sim preamp in the CAB block to warm things up.

I've done some posts with acoustics tones with and without IRs.

Here's one comparing some 3 Sigma IRs: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/killer-acoustic-ir’s.173914/page-4#post-2113109 -- I quite like them on my J45. Scroll down that thread to see how simple the preset was.

The acoustics in this recording were all run through 3 Sigma IRs: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/friend-of-the-devil-final-mix.166632/

Thanks for the recommends, @Stratman68! I may cycle back to them later. Right now, my priority is getting some good tones/sounds/amp-models for a gig this weekend (that I think may get moved to the following Saturday). So I want to focus on rehearsals and the sounds I need to get started. But I will definitely check those presets out!
The ODS-100 preset....Try it at some point so you can here the similarity between fender blackface and the Dumble ODS-100. Yoo'll be pleased I think.
It is made with a strat, so? Good luck with your gig!

You can run your acoustic through a similar signal chain (chorus and reverb) or you can add in an acoustic IR if you want. They can help tame some quack. I like to bring a compressor along in my acoustic presets. Sometimes a CAB block with a NULL IR and then I turn up on the tape sim preamp in the CAB block to warm things up.

I've done some posts with acoustics tones with and without IRs.

Here's one comparing some 3 Sigma IRs: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/killer-acoustic-ir’s.173914/page-4#post-2113109 -- I quite like them on my J45. Scroll down that thread to see how simple the preset was.

The acoustics in this recording were all run through 3 Sigma IRs: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/friend-of-the-devil-final-mix.166632/

Okay, so I went to that thread, and I am not exactly sure what IR means, other doing a Google search, and clicking on your link, and reading that it seems to be some sort of "Imulse Response". Also from what I saw, it is meant to make a wired acoustic guitar sound like one that is mic'd. Is an IR a preset in the device? Something to download? Or is it a piece of hardware?

By the way, your Friend of the Devil sounded really good.

Snapshots are a feature in the editor to do a quick save of a preset. They are most often used for a/b comparisons.
Another good way to think of editor snapshots is as "Undo States".
The term was borrowed from Photoshop's "History" feature.

Okay, so I went to that thread, and I am not exactly sure what IR means

I'll paste from the manual to spare you needing to search it:

The Cab block uses impulse responses (“IRs”) to accurately reproduce the sound of various guitar and bass speakers loaded into different speaker cabinets. ... [It includes] a selection of built-in IRs including options by Fractal Audio and the best of today’s 3rd party IR producers and artists.

So translated into kid-talk as you requested, IR is something that allows the FM9 to mimic the sounds of different miked-up guitar speakers.

When you want to change from one speaker sound to another, you use a different IR.

Inside the cab block, you select an IR by BANK and NUMBER.

In FM9-Edit, you can just use the PICKER and then click the IR you want to hear.

@Admin M@, am I correct in interpreting what you're saying to mean that, in addition to all of the amp and effects modeling, that the FM3 can also essentially replicate individual guitars, or is this just "guitar speakers"?

@Admin M@, am I correct in interpreting what you're saying to mean that, in addition to all of the amp and effects modeling, that the FM3 can also essentially replicate individual guitars, or is this just "guitar speakers"?
an IR is how a modeler makes a cabinet sound.

it doesn't model guitars. it models the mic on speakers from various cabinets.

so the Amp block makes the amp sound, then a cab block makes the cab sound and what you are selecting for different cab sounds is what's called an IR.

Thanks, @chris. So IR, mic'ing a cabinet (virtually in an FM9) is basically like the modeler equivalent of a sound man mic'ing my actual speaker cabinet, like if I was playing my Fender Twin on stage, going into a PA channel via mic+ XLR?

Amp block in this instance would be the Double Verb and for my JBL 2 x E120 cabinet, then whatever that equivalent cabinet name in the FM9, that would be the IR Block?

For some reason, when @iaresee posted about this above, I had it in my head wrongly that IR was somehow exclusive to an acoustic guitar preset/scene, but from what you're saying, IR generically refers to speaker cabinet blocks?

____

All that said, I think I am beginning to get this conceptually. I skipped ahead in the .pdf manual for the FM9, to page 14, and I am really studying the Layout Grid on P14 and the Intro to Scenes and Channels on P15. Seems like there is a wealth of information that, thanks to the informative posts in this thread from you guys, is simplifying the manual. Grid Editing and Block Editing will be the next thing I move on to.

For some reason, when @iaresee posted about this above, I had it in my head wrongly that IR was somehow exclusive to an acoustic guitar preset/scene, but from what you're saying, IR generically refers to speaker cabinet blocks?
Yea, impulses responses can be captured for more than just speaker cabinets though! You can get IRs of acoustic bodies, for example, and that's what I was referring to in my post. You still use the CAB block to load them though. Which can be a little confusing.

Back
Top Bottom