Who wants some JBL IRs?

rp911

Inspired
Jay was kind enough to lend his expertise in creating some new IRs of my two favorite guitar cabinets:

hts.jpg

These are open backed baltic birch cabinets made by Hard Truckers, the company that originally designed and built the Grateful Dead's huge and groundbreaking 1974 Wall of Sound PA. The 2X12 is loaded with JBL E-120 speakers (used by Jerry Garcia and Dickey Betts live, among others). The 2X10 is loaded with JBL K-110 speakers.

I love both these cabinets, they are clear, clean and very loud. The E-120s handle a lot of power, and come into their own when they are really cranked up. The K-110s are a very sweet speaker, but they are more fragile, so although I prefer the sound of the 10's, I never use them live for fear of blowing them.

Now I can use them as loud as I want. I just A/B'd the actual cabinets with the new IRs through a QSC K-12, using a nice Blackface patch with a little reverb and nothing else, and a Stratocaster. They are indistinguishable to the real thing. Amazing.

Try the K-110 for some clean Fender-style tones, you'll like it a lot. Overdrive sounds sweet, too.

The cabinets were miked close, about 2 inches from the cone, with an MXL 603 mic.

IRs are here:

http://www.playingdead.net/jbls

Opinions welcome!

Thanks for the Hard Truckers. I'm a big fan of JG and am looking forward to seeing how they sound in my AXE rig. If you get a chance to share some of your other Jerry style patches that would be greatly appreciated too! :D

Absolutely dig both of these IRs for cleans. Through my BX8a's, the 2X10 so far is my fave choice; but, I will more realistically audition later this week at volume/rehearsal to hear how they cut in a live mix.

Played a big festival this weekend (opened for Verve Pipe) and I would have enjoyed employing these IRs for a few patches.

Big thanks for the effort to share!!! Very useful tones.

(PSA: I'm just lovin' everything about the Axe-FX. Can't wait for the Axe exchange smoking lamp to be lit... I've got a few patches ready for upload that some may find useful for live use.)

Cheers. gt :mrgreen:

Hi- I have been looking for JBL E-130 IRs with no luck, but these have really helped me get somewhere close!

Thanks Very Much for sharing them!!!!

Shoot - I never saw this thread before today. I'd love to check out those IR's.... anyone got them to share?

Mike Snider said:
:shock:
i havent seen this either....i'd love to check those out

rp911...how did your Jerry presets come out?

Sorry about that, some stuff moved around on our website. Thanks for re-attaching them here. The K110 is my favorite, but the E120 works much better live, it cuts.

The Jerry presets are killer, there are a lot of gearheads very into re-creating Garcia's rig and they are all surprised that I'm going direct to the board with nothing but the guitar and AxeFX now. I get people at the gigs asking me, "Where are all your pedals?" Then they look again, and ask, "Where are your SPEAKERS?"

Here's a show up on archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/pd2009-12-31.johnnydsnye

Back
Top Bottom