Scenes, Snapshots, Presets, etc...

Not sure what you mean.
That makes two of us! :D

There are only 8 scenes in a preset. When you press the Scene switch it takes you to the scene layout.

Will look something like this:

Top row of FM9 = Scenes, Effects, Presets
Bottom row of FM9 = Scene 1, 2, 3, 4, "More", Tuner

Press "More" and it will show the other four scenes 5, 6, 7, 8, Tap Tempo

Press the Effect switch and now you see the effects in your presets.

Press Scene switch you are back to scenes...and on and on.

I think I get this. When I read the paperwork that came with the unit, it said something about different layouts of the foot switches. If I press the "Scenes" foot switch, it looks like I have ALL 8 scenes in the preset laid out in the 8 red buttons, but you are saying that there is a layout where scenes 1-4 are shown and there is some "More" button somewhere to get scenes 5-8? But the actual default layout seems to show not scenes but "Presets" 1 through 5? With Bank buttons to the right, "Scenes" above, and between "Scenes" and "Bank 1" is a Tempo/Tuning button.

Yes, absolutely I need to connect the unit to my PC and my PA speaker, which I brought upstairs for this. I also downloaded FM Edit, as I don't wnat to be doing this with hard buttons at this stage of my experience. The video I am watching now makes it look a lot simpler on PC, as you just said.

Edit: Double Verb is amp model 004, shown on the Youtube video it looks like, so that's a good start. Jeeze, lol I have to pic my tubes, too? Not complaining. Seems like a high-quality problem. I just have to figure out the names of (I think it's the 6L6s that are the clean Twin tubes) and the name of the JBL E and D120 speaker cabinets. I assume I would start with that and build out?
Most importantly, what I have learned from this forum since 2009 is "You do NOT have to change anything-like the tubes you mentioned. Because you can does not mean you have to.
On the forum changing all the zillion parameters in an amp, or drive or chorus is sometimes referred to as "going deep". You do NOT have to do that.
I have been here for a long time and kind of in the minority because ALL of my presets are "Factory presets (14 years of factory presets) I modified over the years to fit my needs.
Maybe try that until you get comfortable down the road. As stated by others, Fractal ax-edit app is the easiest way to try and get a grasp of what is going on.

You might have the factory default layout loaded.

To load the 0FM9G layout:

On Front panel:
-Press Knob E
-FC Controller/Onboard Switches
-Press Enter
-Page over to Reset
-Load 0FM9G Footswicth Layouts & Settings
- Press Enter

Most importantly, what I have learned from this forum since 2009 is "You do NOT have to change anything-like the tubes you mentioned. Because you can does not mean you have to.
On the forum changing all the zillion parameters in an amp, or drive or chorus is sometimes referred to as "going deep". You do NOT have to do that.
I have been here for a long time and kind of in the minority because ALL of my presets are "Factory presets (14 years of factory presets) I modified over the years to fit my needs.
Maybe try that until you get comfortable down the road. As stated by others, Fractal ax-edit app is the easiest way to try and get a grasp of what is going on.

I am kind of leaning toward that right now. I have a show next week, and I don't need absolute and total authenticity to start out with. Any good Blackface mod should give me the Jerry Garcia sound I want, particularly if I set the tone buttons right and use the JBL cabinet block in the FM9. I can get into the nuances of building or purchasing presets later. But if I want a Santana sound, I can just find a Mesa Boogie preset in the Wiki list for the unit, and if I want a Steve Lukather and Mark Knophler set of sounds, I can just find the presets that correspond to them.

You might have the factory default layout loaded.

To load the 0FM9G layout:

On Front panel:
-Press Knob E
-FC Controller/Onboard Switches
-Press Enter
-Page over to Reset
-Load 0FM9G Footswicth Layouts & Settings
- Press Enter

And what would be the reason to go with this over the factory layouts, which I have not touched at all yet?

Okay, so I am up to FM9 Basics Video #3 now. I got home late today, and I don't want to disturb my neighbors too much, so I may wait until tomorrow morning to set up and start playing with the unit. I like that I can have the unit hooked up to my PC as well as my guitar and PA speaker at the same time, so I can do real time edits on my PC to effect my sounds.

I think I will be better able to ask more intelligent questions if the unit is on and on front of me, I have my guitar in my hand, and I am playing with stuff.

However, to get a little ahead of myself, let me ask this: I assume that when I choose scenes and presets I want, that I can put them all in the same general area? What I mean is that in my old Boss GT-3, it also came with a load of presets, and I essentially had to overwrite factory presets with my own, which then I could navigate banks and sounds within those banks, which I guess correlate with the Fractal's Presets/Scenes?

My question is, when I start copying presets I like or creating them from the ground up, or even downloading purchased ones, can I store them all in the same basic places? So like I don't want to have to hit the bank button 30 times to go from my Garcia Presets to my Clapton or Santana presets? Can I start with overwriting Presets 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.?

Also, on this topic, the Boss GT3, now that I think about it, had TWO different sets of presets. (Just remembering this now) There was a huge set of hundreds of presets in one section, and "user presets" in another. Note that the user-edit section had the same presets as the hard-wired ones, but you could copy presets from one area to another, and you could over-write any of the presets and scenes (not sure what Boss called them) in the User section. Does the FM9 have similar functionality?

My question is, when I start copying presets I like or creating them from the ground up, or even downloading purchased ones, can I store them all in the same basic places? So like I don't want to have to hit the bank button 30 times to go from my Garcia Presets to my Clapton or Santana presets? Can I start with overwriting Presets 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.?

Also, on this topic, the Boss GT3, now that I think about it, had TWO different sets of presets. (Just remembering this now) There was a huge set of hundreds of presets in one section, and "user presets" in another. Note that the user-edit section had the same presets as the hard-wired ones, but you could copy presets from one area to another, and you could over-write any of the presets and scenes (not sure what Boss called them) in the User section. Does the FM9 have similar functionality?
You can copy, delete, and arrange your presets in any order you want. You can delete all the factory presets if you want so you are starting all your presets from 000.

You can copy, delete, and arrange your presets in any order you want. You can delete all the factory presets if you want so you are starting all your presets from 000.

Got it! I definitely don't want to wipe out all factory presets. I am sure there are some great ones, and I don't want to burn any bridges and find myself wanting to restore the unit back to factory defaults. I don't need a zillion presets and scenes, just maybe a few dozen or so. No need to wipe the unit. I could just start out with 000 and work my way up, only overwriting the ones I need to.

Are there two different sections like in my Boss unit? Meaning, I remember banks x through y were all the factory presets, but then there was a lot of user editable ones, where the hard presets were, and I could copy them to the user editable ones. So the first however many banks on the unit (say it was 150 banks, but I forget) were all easily edited, and the next 150 were I think hard wired maybe, but overwriting say Preset 1, could be undone by simply copying over the #1 preset from the second 150 banks. Not sure if this is making any sense.

Okay, I need to check him out, thanks!! Can I tag him here? Maybe he will see it and chime in here.

@iaresee

lionel richie hello GIF

Jerry's tone isn't too hard to get to with an FM9. What kind of guitar are you working with?

Jerry's tone isn't too hard to get to with an FM9. What kind of guitar are you working with?

I didn't think it would be. I actually get a passable Jerry tone with the "Blackface" setting on an old 20 watt small Fender Mustang solid state. It doesn't rival my Twin with the two JBL E120s in it, but when my amp went down, it was a great emergency backup.

Anyway, any help you can give me is appreciated. As for my guitar, I have a custom built (no name on it) Rosebud copy from a Luther who lives out in CA. I am in NY City. Anyway, it has the effects loop built in and the UGB as well.

I didn't think it would be. I actually get a passable Jerry tone with the "Blackface" setting on an old 20 watt small Fender Mustang solid state. It doesn't rival my Twin with the two JBL E120s in it, but when my amp went down, it was a great emergency backup.

Anyway, any help you can give me is appreciated. As for my guitar, I have a custom built (no name on it) Rosebud copy from a Luther who lives out in CA. I am in NY City. Anyway, it has the effects loop built in and the UGB as well.
Any preset you download or buy was made for and with the equipment that person has and the idea in their head.
The factory presets were made for EVERYBODY. I would never write them off. Many here do. BUT, on the other hand, as an example, Ian's (iaresse) presets always work for me.
He made a , I think it was a John Mayer thing. It did have JM in the title. Anyway it is an has been my go to preset for years. Just sayin!
So, what do I know!

Back
Top Bottom