Scenes, Snapshots, Presets, etc...

@unix-guy, I need to read your post a few more times, as I am not getting it yet.

@Habuman, are you saying that scenes are sort of "groups" of effects within a preset, like a sort of subset of the preset? So in other words, say I create or copy or download a "Pre CBS Fender Blackface" preset. Then I can have 8 scenes all using the basic amp/cabinet/reverb configuration?

So if I am getting this, then say I create a basic scene which is nothing but a simple blackface through a JBL E120 cabinet, and it is clean except for a spring reverb. So that would be my preset to start off with? And then I can branch out to EIGHT different scenes. So that Preset might one scene with the same amp/cab/reverb with an auto-wah; Scene 2 might be the same amp/cab/reverb with digital delay; Scene 3, the same amp/cab/reverb with an octave pedal, and so on until I am either done or run out of scenes?

I checked out that Kitchen Sink video, and quite honestly, I wasn't crazy about many of his sounds.

here's what i say during my livestreams:

imagine you won a sweetwater competition or something where they will give you $500,000 of gear they choose delivered to your garage. you clear out the cars, and a big truck dumps pallets of gear.

now you may know a bit about amps and pedals, but with all that new gear you're unfamiliar with, could you put a rig together incorporating all of it in an hour? probably not. there's too much that's new to look at, learn what it is, what it does, etc. there's no way to plug everything in for a coherent rig.

the same applies to the Axe and FMs. it is a single unit with a ton of "gear" inside of it. trying to learn it all and do it all in the first day is tough because you're unfamiliar with it. the same way you'd be unfamiliar with 20 new drive pedals given to you.

anything is learned more easily when you take things little by little. yes it has presets, scenes, channels and tons of blocks with different options. you don't need to know all of that immediately.

the best thing to do is plug in the guitar, plug the fm9 to some speakers, then play each preset one by one. they are great examples of what the unit can do. just press the Right Nav button to move up presets.

don't worry about scenes. don't worry about channels. don't worry about the thousands of options.

it's tough or impossible to learn 100s of pieces of analog gear in one day. the same is true for any modeler that has 100s or 1000s of options within. take it one thing at a time.

for the most part, the Axe and FMs function like their analog counterparts. just think what you'd do with a real amp, and do that. a real drive pedal, do that, etc.

but for now, play through the presets already on there. write down somewhere the ones you like. then we can go from there.

So if I am getting this, then say I create a basic scene which is nothing but a simple blackface through a JBL E120 cabinet, and it is clean except for a spring reverb. So that would be my preset to start off with? And then I can branch out to EIGHT different scenes. So that Preset might one scene with the same amp/cab/reverb with an auto-wah; Scene 2 might be the same amp/cab/reverb with digital delay; Scene 3, the same amp/cab/reverb with an octave pedal, and so on until I am either done or run out of scenes?
this is the concept, except that Scenes do not add or remove blocks. changing from Scene 1 to Scene 2 won't make a Wah suddenly appear in the grid somewhere.

you design the preset to have all the blocks you want, arranged the way you want.

the Scene can then turn blocks on/off and change channels with one tap.

@unix-guy, I need to read your post a few more times, as I am not getting it yet.

@Habuman, are you saying that scenes are sort of "groups" of effects within a preset, like a sort of subset of the preset? So in other words, say I create or copy or download a "Pre CBS Fender Blackface" preset. Then I can have 8 scenes all using the basic amp/cabinet/reverb configuration?

I checked out that Kitchen Sink video, and quite honestly, I wasn't crazy about many of his sounds.
Don't worry about the sounds. It is an example to get you started in figuring out how to build you own. Yes. One preset - eight scenes. Without getting into the use of different channels (that is another lesson) let's stick with one amp/one cab for now. All on channel A.

OMG, my brain doesn't seem to be working.

Yes, @Habuman and @chris, I want to keep it simple as possible. I am not going to even bother to start out with getting into all of the settings that I can change/edit in a block. So if I choose whatever the Blackface block is called in the FM9 and then follow with whatever the 4 speaker JBL E120 equivalent is called, then add reverb, then that is my scene?

Again, not getting into any nuances of editing blocks right away. (Actually! that's not true! Because a Jerry Garcia sound is specific, so I have to edit my Blackface Twin to have the Treble at 10, the bass barely under 1, and the mid-range at 4.5 to 5.5 for the Garcia sound) So then I can just add different effects to make 8 different scenes ALL within the simple framework of Blackface/E120/reverb preset?

Is that basically it? If I start out that simple, I can always get more nuanced later, I assume?

Same if I want a Lukather-distortion scene (somewhere) a bunch of "Santana" scenes somewhere else, and some Knophler scenes somewhere else?

Somebody please just kill me.

OMG, my brain doesn't seem to be working.
it's all simple and easy to do, i think you just don't know where things are right now and it's causing your current reactions.
So if I choose whatever the Blackface block is called in the FM9 and then follow with whatever the 4 speaker JBL E120 equivalent is called, then add reverb, then that is my scene?
the Blackface is an amp. so it would be an option in the Amp block. you would put an Amp block on the grid, then within the amp block choose the amp type you want, then turn the EQ and Gain knobs like you would on a real amp.

real speakers are in a guitar cabinet, a cab, so these would be in the Cab block. place a Cab block after the Amp block, choose the speaker you want.

Amps are in the amp block. Cabs are in the cab block. Delays are in the delay block, and so on. pretty straight forward yes?

again i highly suggest just using the Factory Presets first. change presets with the Nav Left and Nav Right buttons on the front panel. walk before we run.

imagine walking into a grocery store that's new to you.

find the pasta instantly. can you do it? probably not, you have to walk around a bit, find the area, then you can further look at the specific pasta types you want.

now get potato chips instantly. that's hard, you don't know where it is. you'll have to walk around a bit, find the area, then you can further look at the specific chips you want.

it's similar to your experience with the FM9 right now. you don't know where the things are, yet you want to put a whole dinner together right now. it will take some time. and the next time you go to that grocery, you'll know where these things are and go directly to them.

is cooking hard? not really. but at the new grocery, you don't know where the things are to get things fast.

the same with the axe. is playing guitar through a modeler hard? not really. but without being familiar, it will take some time to "walk around" and find where things are and how they work.

Oh! Okay, I may be getting this (hopefully) I am watching FM9 Basics Episode 1: Presets and Preset Layout Overview now, and there is a picture on the screen of the unit represented on his PC as he edits within his computer. It looks like the pic he has on his screen is the internal layout of the unit on the monitor.

Input 1 > Compressor > Wah > Phase > Drive >Amp >Cab >Chorus > Pan/Trim (etc. etc.).

Are those static? Meaning, whether they are turned on or off, those blocks are always reserved for those devices? Or are they editable? Meaning, instead of compressor after Input 1 I can put whatever I want there?

Oh! Okay, I may be getting this (hopefully) I am watching FM9 Basics Episode 1: Presets and Preset Layout Overview now, and there is a picture on the screen of the unit represented on his PC as he edits within his computer. It looks like the pic he has on his screen is the internal layout of the unit on the monitor.

Input 1 > Compressor > Wah > Phase > Drive >Amp >Cab >Chorus > Pan/Trim (etc. etc.).

Are those static? Meaning, whether they are turned on or off, those blocks are always reserved for those devices? Or are they editable? Meaning, instead of compressor after Input 1 I can put whatever I want there?
you can put whatever you want, but what you put there defines the Scenes.

like i said earlier, Scenes do not add blocks to the grid. Scenes only turn on/off and change channels for blocks that are there currently.

to change what blocks exist that moment, you change to a different Preset.

the Preset defines what blocks are present, where they are in the grid, and how they're connected.

Channels define the specific settings of each block. each Channel within the block can be set completely differently. Clean amp on Amp channel A, high gain amp on Channel B. choose which one you want by changing channels.

Scenes turn blocks on and off, and can change channels of the blocks already there. Scene 1 can change the Amp to Channel A for the clean tone. Scene 5 can change the Amp to Channel B for the high gain tone. and at the same time turn other blocks on and off and change their channels as well.

--
a Preset starts out blank. which means you put what you want where.

if you start on a pre-made preset, there are some choices already made, but you can change anything.

Have you connected your FM9 to a computer yet?
Installing FM edit on the computer may be more user friendly.
Yes, absolutely I need to connect the unit to my PC and my PA speaker, which I brought upstairs for this. I also downloaded FM Edit, as I don't wnat to be doing this with hard buttons at this stage of my experience. The video I am watching now makes it look a lot simpler on PC, as you just said.

Edit: Double Verb is amp model 004, shown on the Youtube video it looks like, so that's a good start. Jeeze, lol I have to pic my tubes, too? Not complaining. Seems like a high-quality problem. I just have to figure out the names of (I think it's the 6L6s that are the clean Twin tubes) and the name of the JBL E and D120 speaker cabinets. I assume I would start with that and build out?

There’s a drop down menu on the forum guiding you to a Wiki page .
Here’s a snapshot of some of the information available.
1695509179934.png

Okay, so watching the videos now, and I am up to Rosh's second video. The arithmatic is getting me a little confused. It looks like there are 8 scenes in every preset. Okay, I got that. But (getting a little ahead of myself) how do I switch scenes live? The reason I am confused is if I have 8 scenes and only 5 pedals (bottom left to right, with the bank pedals on the right) how am I going through scenes in a live situation?

I was assuming each of the five lower pedals (like on my Boss GT3) change scenes within a preset, but it looks like there are 5 scenes in a bank...um...or are those 5 bottom pedals doing something else in the default layout? LMAO I am really feeling stupid at not being able to grasp this!

Okay, still ahead of myself a little, but it looks like if I press the "Scenes" footswitch, I now have 8 red scenes foot switches, so the "math" works out at least. :tearsofjoy:

Wait, hold on a sec! If I have all 8 scenes in the layout, when I press the "Scenes" pedal, then what are the 4 next scenes if I only have 8 scenes in a preset?
Not sure what you mean. There are only 8 scenes in a preset. When you press the Scene switch it takes you to the scene layout.

Will look something like this:

Top row of FM9 = Scenes, Effects, Presets
Bottom row of FM9 = Scene 1, 2, 3, 4, "More", Tuner

Press "More" and it will show the other four scenes 5, 6, 7, 8, Tap Tempo

Press the Effect switch and now you see the effects in your presets.

Press Scene switch you are back to scenes...and on and on.

Back
Top Bottom