Scene volume for live playing

Scrbllv

Hi!
I am soon gonna play in my local church worship group for the first time.
My preset has 5 scenes: rythm clean, lead clean, rythm overdrive, lead overdrive and synth like sounds.
What would be a good way to set up each scene volume wise? Should they all be equally loud?
I am gonna be the only electric guitar player. My church sound engineers dont have much experience when it comes to electric guitar and i want to get as close as i can before.
I am using an ax8. And one presed for all songs.

All of the presets should be the same volume. As far as scene levels, it depends upon the song. Some songs we play have lead tones but aren't really used for solos so they need to stay the same volume as the other scenes. Other songs have a prominent lead intro or turnaround/solo that requires more volume. General rule of thumb for me is get all scenes the same level and add a Control Switch to whichever parameter(s) are necessary to get the boost level needed.

As noted in the reply by @JoKeR III , I recommend leveling all of your presets and scenes at the same output level. For fine-tuning live, either use the 3dB Vol Inc/Dec function, a volume pedal, or a control switch for boost when necessary. Here are some tips on each:
  • 3dB Volume Inc / Dec function is built into the Fractal firmware. It's useful because when you make a change it automatically saves the adjusted volume for that preset and scene. However, in saving the preset, the system also selects whatever scene you were on as the DEFAULT scene for that preset. So the next time you go to that preset, it will start you at the scene where you last used that Volume Inc / Dec function. You can easily reassign the default scene, but it's something to bear in mind.
  • A lot of players like to have a volume pedal onstage. If you do this, I recommend assigning it to the output block at the end of the signal path. Set it to a reasonable range, perhaps 12dB or so. What you should have is essentially a volume REDUCTION pedal, not a boost. That way you won't send an excessively hot signal to the output. When you are line-checking for the gig, move your volume pedal to the mid-point of its range, then set your levels using your amp (or FRFR) controls. When you're playing, you can make real-time fine grained adjustments to your level with the pedal, and if you need a little boost for a solo section, you can easily bring it up where appropriate.
  • The Control Switch option is great because you can assign a switch with a boost anywhere in the signal path, which allows you to bump up the drive into an effect / amp, or just put the boost at the signal chain output.

Edit: I have replaced all the below screenshots with AX8 since that is what you are using.

One way to set volume across scenes in a preset is by putting a Scene Controller on your Gain or Input Trim in the amp block.
Amp Block.png

Controller.png

And then add the gain/volume levels at the Scene Control section. This is how I do it for #1 Clean , #2 Clean FX, #3 Rhythm 1, #4 Rhythm 2, and #5 Lead, etc. I keep the amp output level at -12dB and let the Scene Controller and guitar volume knob do all the work. Adjust as required.
Controller Section.png

You can even get more complex by adding another Scene Controller to the Amp Level block to really fine-tine-tune the volume levels. But try the above first.

Last edited:
My approach is to keep all scenes the same level (I use the meters and my ears to level them), but for dedicated ‘lead/solo’ scenes I set them louder. I also have one control switch set in most scenes as a 4.5dB level boost and I have a micro-expression pedal assigned to the output level - so at any time I can go up or down regardless of the scene settings.

@Scrbllv How's it going with the AX8? Did you get to play with the group yet?
Will you guys get to practice before playing live?

@Scrbllv How's it going with the AX8? Did you get to play with the group yet?
Will you guys get to practice before playing live?
Hi!
Sorry for the late answer. Yes the tips above helped alot. I matched all scene levels and used a 3 db boost (exp pedal) for lead parts. I got positive feedback and not once did the sound guy complain or told me to turn things up or down.
However… after listening to the raw recording (horrible lol) of all instruments i noticed that even tho all scenes were level matched some appeared to be more present than others. The sparking clean tones went under and the mid focused od sounds were more present.
So one would habe to pay attention to that too. This wont be easy tho since we always rush all songs during practice and there is no time to pay attention to such details since it would mean, that all instruments would have to do that.
Or do you guys have any more tips on that issue?

It depends on why your clean sounds were not cutting through. If the initial note attack is audible but the rest gets buried in the mix then adding a compressor to your clean scenes may help. It could also just be that your overdriven scenes have a mid boost/focus that your cleans scenes don't in which case adding a filter to these scenes can help.

Back
Top Bottom