Sat switch thought

clarky

Axe-Master
the Sat switch drops the level when active now.. and it seems that this is a faithful behaviour exhibited by some real amps..

this does make me think though..
if you have the sat switch assigned to a modifier to switch it on, then you're intention would usually be to 'turn up the wick'
so I'd have thought that now, in addition to having a modifier activate the switch, you'd also need to assign the amp's level control to a modifier to compensate for the level drop..

this don't effect me personally at all because I never assign a modifier to the Sat switch [if on, it stays on]
that said.. I guess my question is, is this level drop really necessary or wise??

like a I say.. for me personally it's not an issue at all.. just a thought..

For me, I'd prefer if they reverted back to old behaviour. It seems that the sound of the SAT circuit hasn't changed at all, just it's output level. I'd revert that change, because whilst it may be more accurate to have it for *some* amps, it has wider implications on workflow that are not very good.

- Introduces more tweaking of output level controls when switching between different amp models
- Makes kicking it in for a "boost effect" during a live situation more difficult to configure

Accuracy is all well and good, but this behaviour is by no means universal to all real amplifiers, and accuracy shouldn't be brought in at the cost of simplicity. As it stands now, you have to constantly tweak the amps output level (not the master volume!) when changing amp models, whereas you never used to have to do this.

For me, I'd prefer if they reverted back to old behaviour. It seems that the sound of the SAT circuit hasn't changed at all, just it's output level. I'd revert that change, because whilst it may be more accurate to have it for *some* amps, it has wider implications on workflow that are not very good.

- Introduces more tweaking of output level controls when switching between different amp models
- Makes kicking it in for a "boost effect" during a live situation more difficult to configure

Accuracy is all well and good, but this behaviour is by no means universal to all real amplifiers, and accuracy shouldn't be brought in at the cost of simplicity. As it stands now, you have to constantly tweak the amps output level (not the master volume!) when changing amp models, whereas you never used to have to do this.

Cliff seemed to imply the circuit has change to be more accurate.

I think it would be better to have it level compensated (post MV). That way the accuracy remains (other than level), but you don't get a volume drop. Best of both worlds.

I *think* I may agree with you, but just to be sure, can you expand on what you mean? Do you mean take the value of the Sat level drop and add it back in a mult gain stage post-MV but pre-mixer section? If so, I could agree with that.

I *think* I may agree with you, but just to be sure, can you expand on what you mean? Do you mean take the value of the Sat level drop and add it back in a mult gain stage post-MV but pre-mixer section? If so, I could agree with that.

add it back in at the end of the amp block so there is no volume drop.

From the usability perspective this just feels like a disadvantage - at least for me.
What is the advantage of the behavior beside behaving more "real".

I'd like to see the old behavior: Sat switch without any volume loss

:-(

I prefer the old way as well. Now one must compensate for it like on a real amp, when we wished it wouldn't drop the volume on the real amps, either!

Speaking for my self only, I think id rather learn how to use it the real way its supposed to work... as always YMMV :pride:

Edited: I now see where we get the best of both worlds- WTG FAS!!!

We want all the tone quality of tube amp on the AFX, with all the flexibility of the AFX even if IT is not the reality !!!
Damned kids , no ???
BTW love my AFX :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom