Rotary on Axe 2

How is the Rotary improved on the Axe 2? Does it sound like the Neo Ventilator, which is the go to pedal for rotary sims? (especially in a stereo image)

Neo Instruments Ventilator - YouTube

i really don't know if the axe's rotary can sound exactly like the neo ventilator, but i know that it's really really good for me, and i'm about as picky as one can be with effect.
it has its own sound: if you want the neo signature sound and nothing else works for you than you should stick the pedal into the axe's loop.

Pete Thorn's demo of the Ventilator. It's a really great sounding pedal.

IMO, although it's fantastic, there's room for improvement in Axe's Rotary.
Some "tweakability", like a mono/stereo switch, or reduce the tremolo effect (or a distance parameter). Even the sound could be a little more shimmering (if that's the word)...

Some "tweakability", like a mono/stereo switch, or reduce the tremolo effect (or a distance parameter). Even the sound could be a little more shimmering (if that's the word)...

You can set the mic distance.

I find the rotary outstanding. It is as good or better than any rotary I've used; and I have used real Leslie's in the studio multiple times. It's not perfect; but it's really good when set up right.

I haven't tried the rotary on the Ultra, but I'm really happy with the rotary on II, using it on a song I'm working on atm. Sounds absolutely great imo.

to go mono just set the mic spacing to 0%
They way to reduce the tremolo effect is the Rotor depth. There is a high and a low rotor depth. to make it more shimmery increase hi rotor length and increase hi rotor level.
You can also change the relative speeds of the low and high rotors by adjusting the low rate multiplier.
You can change the acceleration/deceleration of the rotors with Hi/low time constants

I love it .... I use it all the time, with a pedal to control the speed. the rleative speed of the rotors is huge, it gives it that swirling chaotic sound. Adding drive helps too ...

I use the Axe rotary with the Train Wreck amp in front of it for grind. I've been using the Korg G4 for years, but am not familiar with the Neo. The only thing I miss from the G4 is the Stop switch, which spins the Leslie down slowly to a full stop. I like to use a very slow Leslie (.25 Hz) for ambiance, so I don't setup the expression controller to stop the Leslie. With the G4, I could go from any speed to stop by stomping a pedal & the Leslie rotated down in a really nice way. I've been able to re-create all of the other characteristics of the G4 with the Axe.

I use the Axe rotary with the Train Wreck amp in front of it for grind. I've been using the Korg G4 for years, but am not familiar with the Neo. The only thing I miss from the G4 is the Stop switch, which spins the Leslie down slowly to a full stop. I like to use a very slow Leslie (.25 Hz) for ambiance, so I don't setup the expression controller to stop the Leslie. With the G4, I could go from any speed to stop by stomping a pedal & the Leslie rotated down in a really nice way. I've been able to re-create all of the other characteristics of the G4 with the Axe.

you can do that. As I said above you can change the acceleration/deceleration of the rotors with Hi/low time constants. You can set a pedal up to an external controller an attach a modifier to the rate control. Set the maximum to you desired rotary rate, minimum to 0. You can go from top speed to 0 and it will rotate down in a nice way.

The rotary in Axe II is outstanding, I can easily fake an organ using swell pedal, rotary speed accelaration and close voicing chords. I don't hear something better in the ventilator Thorn demo, although it sounds nice. Often people come after a show and tell me they heard organ parts, though I play with no keyboard...

you can do that. As I said above you can change the acceleration/deceleration of the rotors with Hi/low time constants. You can set a pedal up to an external controller an attach a modifier to the rate control. Set the maximum to you desired rotary rate, minimum to 0. You can go from top speed to 0 and it will rotate down in a nice way.

I have my expression pedal assigned as a modifier for the rate control. I don't notice any changes in acceleration when I move the pedal. It responds very quickly - faster than I would like. Changing those acceleration settings doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. I assumed that those values only affect the acceleration/deceleration of the Leslie when using a switch for 2 set speeds (like a lot of Leslie sims do).

I don't like to set the minimum value to 0 because I like to be able to heel down the speed adjust pedal & have it settle to a very slow swirl. I don't want to have to fiddle with it to get that speed adjustment just right. Having a separate Stop control like the G4 has is nice when using the Leslie with "normal" types of speeds because I can drop it down in a nice slow way at the end of a song.

You can slow the quick-fast accelaration with the damping value in the modifier for the rotary speed.

Is it ok for you that way or do you still think the pedal responds too quickly? For me it's fine, I use my swell pedal for speed with either toe or heel down and let the damping do the progressive variation between my fast and slow settings.

Is it ok for you that way or do you still think the pedal responds too quickly? For me it's fine, I use my swell pedal for speed with either toe or heel down and let the damping do the progressive variation between my fast and slow settings.

Do you mean that you use 2 pedals?

I would like to improve the feel of the speed change still. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something in the setup.

Personally,

I have one expression pedal to control the Mix wet/dry and another setup to control the speed of the Rotary.

It's totally killer IMHO.

I'll do clips as I can this week... but have to be honest, it's lower on the priority list for me.

Scott, do you find that the Hi Time Const & Lo Time Const parameters affect the acceleration/deceleration of the Leslie when using the exp pedal for speed?

Back
Top Bottom