Rotary on Axe 2

No, I don't use two pedals, just an expression pedal assigned to the speed control of the rotary. But I use it for this purpose as if it was a slow/high speed leslie pedal. Even if I go quickly from heel position to toe position, the speed will increase much slower then the pedal movement with the right setting of the damping control.

So, you guys feel the stereo imaging (movement back and forth) on the Axe 2's rotary is audible and moving?

So, you guys feel the stereo imaging (movement back and forth) on the Axe 2's rotary is audible and moving?

Totally. I actually back the Depth controls down from the default 50% to reduce the throb. It's every bit as real of a rotating speaker in the room with you sound as the Korg G4. The Train Wreck amp in front of a slow setting gives a GREAT swirl of noise across the room when you dig in. Love that!

Yeah. It can get too swirly real fast. I usually drop the depth down considerably, or even change it to mono.

I actually still prefer my H & K Rotosphere to the Axe-II leslie, but not enough to take the time to plug it up.

OK, Now I actually care about when 6.0 comes out! And I thought I would just wait to see how that worked out for all of you....

With Pete Thorne's Ventilator demo as a reference, I like these settings:

Rotary block, after Amp in series, Mix 100%.
Default settings except:
Rate modifier: 0.800 min, 7.000 max.
Low depth 20%
Hi depth 15%
Mic 0% because I run in mono.

It doesn't look like the Neo Ventilator can be used with an expression pedal for continuously variable speed. The footswitch lets you switch between 2 preset speeds. I really like being able to find the speed I want with an expression pedal.

It also doesn't appear to have a stereo separation control, just mic distance.

Like the Korg G4, it also has this speed range setting control that affects the range of speeds you can get. I prefer the way the Axe works, where I can set the minimum & maximum speeds. The problem with the range control is that if you want a very slow speed as the low speed, it also reduces the fast speed. So, you can't have very slow and very fast as options. With an expression pedal & absolute minimum & maximum settings, you can cover any speed you want without having to readjust the range.

to go mono just set the mic spacing to 0%
They way to reduce the tremolo effect is the Rotor depth. There is a high and a low rotor depth. to make it more shimmery increase hi rotor length and increase hi rotor level.
You can also change the relative speeds of the low and high rotors by adjusting the low rate multiplier.
You can change the acceleration/deceleration of the rotors with Hi/low time constants

Sorry, I'm using the Ultra. I didn't realise the Rotary has changed in the II, so I asumed what I aske for the Ultra would apply for the II.

Well, those little things in the Rotary would be really nice to have in the ultra. :)

With Pete Thorne's Ventilator demo as a reference, I like these settings:

Rotary block, after Amp in series, Mix 100%.
Default settings except:
Rate modifier: 0.800 min, 7.000 max.
Low depth 20%
Hi depth 15%
Mic 0% because I run in mono.

What settings would you use to get a pronounced stereo effect with the axe 2 rotary? (other than use a stereo enhancer at the end)

here's my tip for the Rotary.... I keep the block on all the time and use a IA switch on my Gordius to control the wet/dry mix (from zero to about 85-90%) with a healthy amount damping. I find this adds a great subtle touch when switching it in or out. Rather than instant swirling which can sound quite abrupt and unnatural. I highly recommend trying this out.

I also hook my rate up to a slow random controller (again with some damping) so i don't have to use the expression pedal. I think this gives a nice random edge to it and it changes where ever i am onstage. But of course the expression pedal works fine.

I too also wish the Ultra rotary had the new developments as i use it quite a lot. Sucks to be me I guesse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom