RJM Mastermind GT/22 Compatibility?

I've suggested an alternative method to select channels, to Ron of RJM. I hope he'll implement it. It's like this:

For any button assigned to a specific effect block, press-and-hold that button to enter a "Channel Select" mode, where you can simply press buttons 1-4 to switch between that effect's channels. The same would apply to a "Scene Select" mode.​

It allows quick access, and avoids the need for extensive programming.

Beta firmware for the RJM MM GT series which supports the Axe-Fx III is available now. The method above has been implemented, making it very easy to select channels without pre-programming.

See video below at 5:30.

Last edited:
August 7th, 2018:

MASTERMIND GT 4.1beta1 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

RJM Music said:
Here's the long awaited 4.1 beta for the Mastermind GT!

FEATURES
  • Axe-Fx III support!!!
  • New button options for hold functions: "IA Mode Only" and "Show Name"
  • Preliminary support for volume pedals (log taper correction)
  • Support for Ramble FX Kismet pedal
  • Editor now has "Show Tool Tips" option so you can turn them off when they start annoying you
  • A couple of bug fixes that I can't remember right now. :)
KNOWN ISSUES
  • Looper Once doesn't update the state of the buttons when the loop ends
  • Sometimes, the Channel label disappears from an IA button
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

THIS IS BETA FIRMWARE AND WILL LIKELY HAVE BUGS!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.1 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGT41B1.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.1b1.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.1b1.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.0.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

What is not awesome is 2 midi cables... why no bi-directional midi on the III? or is it something else.

What is not awesome is 2 midi cables... why no bi-directional midi on the III? or is it something else.
It is bidirectional... but down two cables.

Having standard cables is a good thing when using in a live context. My Axon controller comes with the option of running down XLR cable. Very easy to find in an emergency. Of course a 4 core special cable could be made with connectors to attach to the midi in and out ports of the axefxIII... but then you’ll be carrying a spare.. ;-) just in case...

It is bidirectional... but down two cables.

Having standard cables is a good thing when using in a live context. My Axon controller comes with the option of running down XLR cable. Very easy to find in an emergency. Of course a 4 core special cable could be made with connectors to attach to the midi in and out ports of the axefxIII... but then you’ll be carrying a spare.. ;-) just in case...

Anything can be done. I don’t want to have to add all kinds of crap to do what the 2 and ultra has done before it for a decade plus. Seems dumb. And an $80 box seems silly.

I don’t understand the need for two midi cables... however the MM GT-22 with this 4.1b1 firmware and the Axe3 is the coolest system ever. Easy to see, easy to stomp presets, and sounds killer. I couldnt be happier.

I'm assuming the problem is on the Axe III end? Bidirectional communication from the GTs to the Axe IIs is no issue with one cable.

Austin

Like Yek mentioned above single cable for me on the 2 only works with the phantom power box. In that case it is still two 5 pin midi cables between the box and the axe and one 7 pin to the GT.

Like Yek mentioned above single cable for me on the 2 only works with the phantom power box. In that case it is still two 5 pin midi cables between the box and the axe and one 7 pin to the GT.

Then you're doing it wrong. I had a GT22 and an XL+ for over a year and was using 1 midi cable from the GT to the Axe. This is all outlined on RJMs own forum. Look at the "Connections" section here:
http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/using-the-gt-with-an-axe-fx.631/

So again, only one cable is required for bidirectional communication between the GT and the II series. The GTs haven't changed, so apparently Axe III's don't support bidirectional communication out of one port for hardware or software reasons? Seems strange to me either way, but I'll be getting an FC pedal anyway, so...

Austin

Last edited:
I’m puzzled by this, too. On my AxeFX2, I use the phantom power box and only connect to the midi in on the AxeFX and the midi out on the GT, and I get the tuner and tap info on the GT using a single 7-pin midi cable.

I’m puzzled by this, too. On my AxeFX2, I use the phantom power box and only connect to the midi in on the AxeFX and the midi out on the GT, and I get the tuner and tap info on the GT using a single 7-pin midi cable.

Bi-directional midi is not on the Axe III. Sure if you use the box you can get one cable out, still need to hook up the in and out on the Axe III to the box, then 7 pin out. box is $80 and not in stock. going to make one this weekend. Why the Axe III top of the line modeler doesn't support bi-directional midi on one port is beyond me.

Bi-directional midi is not on the Axe III. Sure if you use the box you can get one cable out, still need to hook up the in and out on the Axe III to the box, then 7 pin out. box is $80 and not in stock. going to make one this weekend. Why the Axe III top of the line modeler doesn't support bi-directional midi on one port is beyond me.
The question is. Is this a hardware limitation or is it a feature that is waiting to be implemented?

Info from RJM is that bidirectional MIDI over a single cable is not possible between III and RJM MM.

This is different from Axe-Fx II <> RJM MM.

Workaround is using RJM's phantom power box, which connects to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT on the III. So not the one which only connects to MIDI IN.

Back
Top Bottom