Rethink, Rework, Reboot. Building a preset - JCM800 - Major Twist for ANY Preset

Each PEQ block is already doing the halved frequency and doubled frequency. It's impossible to set a single block up to switch, or add, boost levels. This is the advantage of Scott's method.

If you only need one boost amount, use one block.

What he said. :D

For a more theoretical, and less practical range of options, you could use binary boost levels of 1dB, 2dB, 4dB and 8dB. By choosing different combinations you can select any boost level from 0dB to 15dB. Ok, not very pratical, but maybe just 1dB, 2dB and 4dB giveing all options from 0dB to 7dB might be more manageable :)

Hey Scott,

Thank you for all of your tips. I'm looking forward to trying out your new approach, though I've been down with the flu recently.

If memory serves, there was a time (perhaps almost 2 years ago) when you touted the use of a PEQ block to accentuate the natural tone/harmonics of one's particular guitar. By sweeping the frequency parameter while the guitar is singing, one could selectively cut (or boost) certain frequencies to bring out the guitar's character. Have you abandoned that approach? Or are you using the global graphic EQ to take that task on? I'm just curious because I thought that was a really good/novel idea.

Forgive me if I'm totally out in left field on this; I am heavily medicated at the moment. ;-)

Take care,
Jeff

Hey Scott,

Thank you for all of your tips. I'm looking forward to trying out your new approach, though I've been down with the flu recently.

If memory serves, there was a time (perhaps almost 2 years ago) when you touted the use of a PEQ block to accentuate the natural tone/harmonics of one's particular guitar. By sweeping the frequency parameter while the guitar is singing, one could selectively cut (or boost) certain frequencies to bring out the guitar's character. Have you abandoned that approach? Or are you using the global graphic EQ to take that task on? I'm just curious because I thought that was a really good/novel idea.

Forgive me if I'm totally out in left field on this; I am heavily medicated at the moment. ;-)

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff,

A) I hope you feel better soon.

B) That's a mix trick and you can use it, but I don't at this time unless I am mixing; but I don't do it in the Axe-FX anymore ... I do it in post.

It'd be a very viable tool for guys that use vastly different guitars like a Strat and a Les Paul through the same preset though.

Scott, the PEQ boost is really clever. I look forward to trying this! After seeing Jay's tonestack explanation, I have an idea of what it's going to sound like and I like it (I can't hear your clips from here). I've used PEQs as boosts at times, mainly just rolling off bass though. I tried creating curves on hunches, and the results weren't all that satisfying so I left it alone. I never thought of using the tonestack frequency to guide my frequency selection; it's clever and I think it's going to sound awesome for certain things.

Your IR mix is enticing. I'm using global eq to tighten things up, and I haven't been the least bit interested in mixing IRs in the past as it seemed like a rabbit hole I would never escape. Your approach makes good sense though and it's simple enough that I think I'll try it.

D

This is awesome! Definitely wiki-worthy stuff.

I just have a standard but I've spent the better part of the day adding +2 and +4db PEQ blocks to many of my patches and it really perks up my medium to high gain tones. I haven't been blessed with ears good enough to discern much of a difference in a +1 or even +2db change but find the +4-6 quite tasty.

So far for cleans I haven't really dug the flavor it adds but I'll certainly keep this in the 'spice rack' and perhaps find some 'recipes' down the road where I like it added.

Like Shasha, I scared myself by grasping the concept; I haven't owned the Axe all that long but feel like I just got through freshman year. :p This inspires me to keep digging, tweaking and thinking....hopefully someday I can come up with something cool to share as well!

Thank you, Scott, for coming up with this and sharing it!

The Axe continues to impress - huge thanks to Cliff for such a remarkable product.

Hey Scott,
This is simply incredible for me. Can't thank you enough!
I'm finally getting my Ultra to sound and feel like I've wanted after 3 years of tweaking.

I've never been a pedal guy. Just gone straight into my amp since I got my first Mesa Boogie in '79. All this time with the Ultra I 've felt I needed to add a drive block before the amp to get the response I was looking for. Then my tone would all go to hell and I felt like I was always compromising between tone and feel. I could come close at one specific volume but if it changed it felt like I needed to re-tweak the patch for the new volume.

Using your method the amp comes alive and I can hear the tone of my guitars and my fingers at any volume. I've pulled about a 20 hour session resetting all my patches with your PEQ boosts.

I'm so psyched. I was having one of the worst weeks of my life and this has simply been an inspiration.
Thanks again!

Wow - totally cool that it's working for you guys. It's really a simple thing; I'm just glad that other folks are digging it too. Up early to do the weekly P&W gig this morning.

Going to use Fender Twin with Rotary and & Multidelay on one song, Bogner XTC Red with Multidelay (using expression pedal to move it in and out of the mix) on two others; Marsha HB and Trainwreck or Egnator on another. Sounds like a good day to me. :D

Up next, I'll share some other presets based off different amps, but using the same template.

I was wondering if it isn't more efficient to dedicate an expr.pedal to the PEQ boost, instead of assigning 4 precious switches?

It would require just a single PEQ (because the PEQs use the same freqs) and realtime control of the Gain parameter.

I don't know if the Gain param (alt.: multiple Filter blocks) can be attached to a controller (haven't got the Axe here), but if not, it might be possible using Sysex?

Source: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/32957

Last edited:
Gains in PEQ block are not attachable...

Level control is, but I don't know if that will have a similar effect or not.

Gains in PEQ block are not attachable...

Level control is, but I don't know if that will have a similar effect or not.

Nope, level will increase/decrease the overall volume level.

Up next, I'll share some other presets based off different amps, but using the same template.

Awesome! Your patches have been a core of my sound since I got the Axe. I have 1% of the depth of knowledge of the Axe and tweaking that you do, so it will be a blessing to see how to set up the amps!

Nope, level will increase/decrease the overall volume level.

That's right... however, you can still use an expression pedal to control the bypass state of the 4 PEQ blocks (that's what I did, as I don't have enough spare CCs). It works well, but is currently a little over the top (simply because I made them all cumulative, i.e. each successive PEQ is activated as I progressively sweep the expression pedal resulting in a logarithmic gain increase). I'll need to tweak their settings to get a more gradual and linear increase in gain.

But the point is: you can still use an expression pedal instead of four CCs. However, it still uses 4 PEQ blocks (or whatever combination you choose). If only it was possible to attach a modifier to the PEQ gain, you could do it all with one block and one expression pedal.

That's right... however, you can still use an expression pedal to control the bypass state of the 4 PEQ blocks (that's what I did, as I don't have enough spare CCs). It works well, but is currently a little over the top (simply because I made them all cumulative, i.e. each successive PEQ is activated as I progressively sweep the expression pedal resulting in a logarithmic gain increase).

Of course you now need to disclose how you do that. ;)

You can attach the gain in a mixer block to an expression pedal.

Don't think so again.
Gain in the PEQ block affects only the shelved frequencies (3 of the 5 bands).
Gain/Level in a Mixer bock would adjust the entire level.

I finally got a chance to try this out yesterday. "you HEAR the cab" is absolutely right. The jcm preset is great. Instant ac/dc land with my mahogany guitar!
I also tried out a few different amps with the same principals (xtc red, marsha, etc) and it's working great. I'm still playing around with this but just wanted to sayt that I really appreciate you sharing this with us Scott! :)

Back
Top Bottom